You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TORRES: I WANT TO BE REMEMBERED

dandyman

Fernando Torres has spoken of his determination to become part of a golden generation of Liverpool players by finally bringing the Premier League title to Merseyside.

The 24-year-old will always be remembered in his native Spain after scoring the goal that ended their 44-year wait for a major trophy in the summer - and now he wants to do the same at Anfield.

Torres said: "Having won the European Championships with Spain I have experienced what it is like to be part of a generation of players that will never be forgotten.

"I think that the same could be said of this Liverpool team if we can win the league. If we can do it we will be remembered for many years in the hearts of Liverpool fans."

If Liverpool do win their first league title since 1990 this season, Torres insists it will be down to Rafa Benitez's team ethos.

He said: "A Benitez team is never just about one player but about the group. We have a solid unit that knows how to win games playing our way.

"We have beaten the big teams without me and on occasions without Gerrard, like the game against Manchester United. I think that was a positive for the team as a whole; it illustrated that importance of every player in the squad.

"Everyone is important here, we are working towards the same goal of ensuring that Liverpool win the Premier League. If we are able to achieve this it will have been a joint effort - no one player will take the most credit. It is a group effort."

The winning goal in Euro 2008 capped a remarkable year for Torres as he took his debut season tally to 33 goals and claimed a host of awards.

Injury has blighted his winter so far, but the striker claims his hamstring tear is a mere blip in an unforgettable 12 months.

"It has been a year to remember," he said. "For the Spanish players here at Liverpool, the win at Euro 2008 did not compensate for the fact that we did not win any trophies with Liverpool, but for our country and for us as players it was something truly unforgettable that is going to stay with me forever.

"It is an honour to represent a club like Liverpool in Europe and we reached the semi-final of the Champions League and lost in extra-time.

"I have been able to play every weekend and Wednesday at the highest level and have been able to score goals and get global recognition. The year has ended with my injury over the last couple of months but that has been just a blip in a great year."

---------------------------------------

Fernando, we want to remember you too for, though I really want to be able to remember Pepe Reina leading a rendition of "Cabinero":thumbsup:

Fucking hell, how can you not love this bloke?!?! Though originally I wanted Germany to win that Euro '08 tournament, there was no way I could be disappointed with the Sexy One's class goal to seal Spain's first major trophy.

Love ya Nando!