You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arsenal anyone

I don't really think Shay Given will improve over Almunia.

Almunia isn't great or anything but neither are game changing keepers unless Arsenal are just going to stop defending, ala Newcastle, and let their goal be absolutely bombarded...

Then Given's shot stopping ability will be the same.

I reckon that he's so used to being under fire that he'd probably forget that he was playing if he was playing for a top club.

He'd improve any side in the Premiership, bar ourselves and Chelsea. He's certainly a better keeper than Almunia, though Arsenal probably have other priorities in this transfer window. I wouldn't be that surprised to see United go for him, though they have three decent keepers. Spurs need him, but they're not much of a step up in the world from Newcastle. Man City is the only other potential club that makes sense, though Hart is a good keeper.

As long as he doesn't do something stupid like follow his heart to Celtic to replace Boruc...

If he's available, The Mancs should go for him. He's exactly what they need to replace VdS, who is not far off 40 now: an experienced and reliable keeper who can handle a high pressure club. However, if they're not interested then it's hard to know who'd be his best bet in the context of his desire to win trophies.

I don't think any of the three clubs mentioned are good short term bets for winning things, but City probably represent the best medium term option as Spurs will win fuck all in my view and The Arse appear to be on the verge of complete regression if Wenger doesn't start signing a new and experienced spine for his team. One goal-keeper should not be the limit of such acquisitions, but I've heard nothing from him to suggest he's going to do what's required. Bizarrely he's looking at creative players, rather than destructive ones.

Whatever happens, I hope the Geordies have the sense to realise that he's been as loyal as they could possibly expect any non-local to be in the context of their shambolically run club. I bet they get the Judas placards out, though.

My guess is Spurs. They have the biggest need as Gomez is rubbish. Man City might be dark horses as they have lots of cash, but I think Hart is a good keeper. I can't see Arsenal replacing Almunia. They have more pressing areas to strengthen.

Someone in my work was talking to Joe Hart's Dad at the start of the season and Joe Hart's Dad seemed quite certain Joe Hart would be at a top 4 club by the start of the 09/10 season. This conversation happened post City takeover but I was sceptical about how he could be so certain of a deal happening 9 months down the line

Will be interesting to see what happens with him in the summer

Top keeper and he's been a great servent to a side that has long since ceased to deserved him. Looking at him against us I knew it was his "Torres V Barcelona moment" where everthing had just become clear and he knew 100% that he had to leave.

Also, Joe Hart is shit.

Guest RafaIsRafa

He's nowhere near world class. His distribution is mediocre and he doesnt communicate enough with defenders. They've had some dross over the years in defence but he's part of the problem aswell, he has no organization skills. The fact they got smashed 5-1 and there was cries of him being amazing sort of sums his career up really.

I also think its telling that theres not really been a string of top clubs after him when all the top clubs have needed a goalie at some point.

He's nowhere near world class. His distribution is mediocre and he doesnt communicate enough with defenders. They've had some dross over the years in defence but he's part of the problem aswell, he has no organization skills. The fact they got smashed 5-1 and there was cries of him being amazing sort of sums his career up really.

I also think its telling that theres not really been a string of top clubs after him when all the top clubs have needed a goalie at some point.

there is some truth there...

Shay Given is a good shot-stopper but no where near World Class.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Given, world class?

Only if your looking through emerald tinted specs he is

Camera save merchant if this highest calibre, he's not even as good as Gomes so god knows why Redknapp is interested, possibly because their is a bung in it for him.

Riddle me this, his time at Newcastle, they have spent £70,000,000+ on defenders and have never improved, why is that?

Is it because Given, bar his MOTD saves, is fairly limited and is incapable of dominating his area?

You only have to take Reina out of the Liverpool side to see what effect this can have

He's being a shithouse, trying to make it look like his decision is driven by the hiding we dished out last week. Tell it like it is Shay, you made your mind up long ago, and I don't think your otherwise deluded fanbase will believe that you suddenly felt the need to leave Newcastle after losing 5-1, just days before the transfer window opened.

In the same sense Owen deserves flak for not just admitting that he's aching to leave, but there's not a single player out there who displays that kind of honesty, and it's because they have nothing to gain from it.

Guest TK-421

I think he's more than a shot-stopper, he's a very competent keeper who hasn't really been tested at the highest level. It would be interesting to see if he could keep his concentration playing for a bigger club and pull off those great saves when it matters most. I think he probably could.

I think he's more than a shot-stopper, he's a very competent keeper who hasn't really been tested at the highest level. It would be interesting to see if he could keep his concentration playing for a bigger club and pull off those great saves when it matters most. I think he probably could.

I think that Given's norm is a LOT of activity and a top club's keeper's norm is a polar opposite from that and Given will have a rough initiation at best.

Given, world class?

Only if your looking through emerald tinted specs he is

Camera save merchant if this highest calibre, he's not even as good as Gomes so god knows why Redknapp is interested, possibly because their is a bung in it for him.

Riddle me this, his time at Newcastle, they have spent £70,000,000+ on defenders and have never improved, why is that?

Is it because Given, bar his MOTD saves, is fairly limited and is incapable of dominating his area?

You only have to take Reina out of the Liverpool side to see what effect this can have

Of all those superduperamazingsaves he pulled off in the first half against us, only the shot from Gerrard after the lay off from Kuyt can be classed as a difficult save. The other shots/headers were either close to or straight at him.

He is a pundit-favourite for some reason, and once you have that status it's very close to impossible to get rid of it. Every good save hailed to the extreme, every poor performance ignored.

Guest TK-421
I think that Given's norm is a LOT of activity and a top club's keeper's norm is a polar opposite from that and Given will have a rough initiation at best.

My guess is he would prove his worth playing behind a defence where he isn't regularly exposed.

imho world class keepers are the ones that do nothing for 90 minutes and then are called in to make a save. you are going to look ace pulling off fantastic save after fantasic save in a 4-0 hiding class keepers are the ones that keep out the only shot on target the opposition muster.

its like strikers that fill their boots with lower team only to struggle when they make a big move, against lower teams the opposition will push up because they don't fear them creating space for the striker but against top teams the opposition will defend deep and deny a striker any space.

Well the comments that given isnt as good as gomes or he isnt an improvement over almunia just shows some people dont know what the heck they're talking about concerning keepers.

Given is a very good shot stopper and a good alround keeper. I dont know why people give players stick for considering their future especially since the lad has been at newcastle for 10+ years and the likes of arse and filth have made enquiries about him before.

Its a load of nonsense to suggest if given played for a top side, he'd be worse or look ordinary just because he'd have less to do! Crackers.

I can see him leaving.