You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hip-Hop...

Chris

Oh no, where it hurts most!

Still, I guess we don't all forget about rap music after our teens. Naught wrong with a bit of the older stuff, but call me a cynic for hating the shit they throw out nowadays. Stephen Colbert had it best when he called Kanye West a sunglasses display mannequin, and the other twats aren't any better.

Nothing funnier than seeing a white boy bouncing to a little rap music, on his ipod, on the train, in his suit. Keeping it all real like.

You realise that you're actually being borderline racist there right?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, check out Gang Starr, a tribe called quest, old common records, outkast, Nas, Jurassic 5, blackstar, kev brown... Thered be more if my ipod was near.

Some of Common's stuff is pretty good, as is a tribe called quest. I used to stay up and watch MTV raps for years. I was actually a fan pre 1999, when it wasn't all so fucking materialistic. This pop shit now winds me up, and it all went to pot from about 1999 onwards. The mainstream popularity started with Eminem and to a lesser degree, that tool Nelly.

Without anyone resorting to insults, can someone explain how you find yourself actually 'relating' to some of this stuff? I can understand that a few are catchy etc, but actually finding meaning in some of this bollocks. Please quote a lyric, or two, if you can to make your point.

Dirty Sanchez -Racist? Come off it? Fuck all racist about what i've said there. People can immerse themselves in whatever culture or scene they like, it doesn't make me racist to form the opinion they look out of place.

Yes it does. You're discriminating against someone because of their race. That's what racism is.

I suggest you look up the term discrimination, because you've got it a bit wrong there. Perhaps we should discuss the merits of a white man singing along to songs about 'My Niggas'? We won't, because it's fucking daft.

Yesterday someone got the piss taken out of them on here for watching sex in the city. Was this sexist? Someone was called gay on countless occasions, was that homophobic? Get a grip ffs. There is absolutely nothing racist about saying a white man looks out of place singing about 'my niggas'. Am I saying they can't - of course not. Am I saying they shouldn't, not that either. I'm just saying they look a little silly immersing themselves in a scene which wasn't ever intended to speak to them.

And when you come across middle class kids telling me they will 'smoke them fools', you can't do anything but piss yourself laughing.

I suggest you look up the term discrimination, because you've got it a bit wrong there. Perhaps we should discuss the merits of a white man singing along to songs about 'My Niggas'? We won't, because it's fucking daft.

Yesterday someone got the piss taken out of them on here for watching sex in the city. Was this sexist? Someone was called gay on countless occasions, was that homophobic? Get a grip ffs. There is absolutely nothing racist about saying a white man looks out of place singing about 'my niggas'. Am I saying they can't - of course not. Am I saying they shouldn't, not that either. I'm just saying they look a little silly immersing themselves in a scene which wasn't ever intended to speak to them.

And when you come across middle class kids telling me they will 'smoke them fools', you can't do anything but piss yourself laughing.

How is it any different to people with a burgeoning social circle listening to The Smiths? You wouldn't laugh at them, would you? Good music is universal; you can also empathise with a lyric without it speaking directly to you.

How is it any different to people with a burgeoning social circle listening to The Smiths? You wouldn't laugh at them, would you? Good music is universal; you can also empathise with a lyric without it speaking directly to you.

*perks up*

What? Who mentioned The Smiths? Where? Lemme at 'um!

The first person to say the game or lil wayne will get thundernegged.

Lil Waynes earlier stuff, before he went all Lollipop, is great and The Games first mixtape is what actually got me into hip hop and I have bought every one of his albums since and not been disapointed. I see why some people would dislike Game but he's my favourite rapper and easily the best in the west right now.

Some of Common's stuff is pretty good, as is a tribe called quest. I used to stay up and watch MTV raps for years. I was actually a fan pre 1999, when it wasn't all so fucking materialistic. This pop shit now winds me up, and it all went to pot from about 1999 onwards. The mainstream popularity started with Eminem and to a lesser degree, that tool Nelly.

Without anyone resorting to insults, can someone explain how you find yourself actually 'relating' to some of this stuff? I can understand that a few are catchy etc, but actually finding meaning in some of this bollocks. Please quote a lyric, or two, if you can to make your point.

Dirty Sanchez -Racist? Come off it? Fuck all racist about what i've said there. People can immerse themselves in whatever culture or scene they like, it doesn't make me racist to form the opinion they look out of place.

How can I relate to songs about, to quote your earlier post, "Drugs" and "Guns" and "Niggas" and "Bitches"? Easy mate.

Drugs are around us all in our every day lives and I know first hand the effects of people using drugs, as well as pushing drugs, has. Eminem - Drug Ballad describes how drugs effect people. This is the whole last verse.

That's the sound of a bottle when it's hollow

When you swallow it all

Wallow and drown in your sorrow

And tomorrow your probably gonna wanna do it again

What's a little spinal fluid between you and a friend, screw it

And whats a little bit of alcohol poisoning?

And whats a little fight?

Tomorrow you'll be boys again

It's your life live it however you wanna

Marajuana is everywhere, where was you brought up?

It don't matter as long as you get where you're goin'

Cause none of this shit's gonna mean shit where we're goin

They tell you to stop but you just sit there ignorin'

Even though you wake up feelin' like shit every morning

But your young you got a lot of drugs to do

Girls to screw, parties to crash, sucks to be you

If I could take it all back now I wouldn't

I would've did more shit that people said that I shouldnt

But I'm all grown up now and upgraded

And graduated to better drugs and updated

But I still gotta a lot of growin' up to do

I still gotta whole lot of throwin' up to spew

But when it's all said and done before I know it

I'll be forty with a forty on the porch tellin stories

With a bottle of Jack, two grandkids on my lap

Babysitting for Hailey, while Hailey's out gettin smashed

Guns? Our world is becoming increasingly violent and I had a friend of mine shot dead only 2 months ago. It should also be noted that when rappers are speaking about guns its usually to convey how much hatred they have for somebody. Sort of like "I hate Kevin, Shoot him with a Mac 11". Its not really about the guns. With that said I believe its easy to relate to the situation of losing someone close to you or wanting to kick the shit out of somebody, even if the cause of death or how you plan to kick the shit out of somebody is different. T.I. discusses losing a friend to gun violence in "Live In the Sky" which I can relate to.

"My cousin Toot ain't have to die right in front of his son and his wife

He lost his life struggling over a gun

Give a damn what he done that my motherfucking folk and I love that nigga 'til death no motherfucking joke"

Nigga? The word "Nigga" is basically like us saying "mate", "pal", "lad". Its simply just a different slang term from a different country but extremely easy to relate to. I find it amusing that you laugh at the "stupidity" of the kid on the train yet you fail to recognize basic slang when you hear it. Songs such as "Jigga That Nigga", "Jigga that Lad" or "For My Niggaz", "For my Mates" are really easy to understand if you overcome that fact. However "Nigga" should never be confused with "N***er" as both come with completely different history and meaning. The Game illustrates this in "Letter to the King".

The word nigger is nothing like nigga

Don't sound shit alike like game like jigga

One came before the other like aim and pull the trigga

One is slang for my brotha, one is hang and take a picture

The rope ain't tight enough, he still alive go fix it

Pour some gasoline on him, call his daughters black bitches

Make him pick cotton, while they momma clean up the kitchen

The same cotton in white tees that's the cotton they was pickin

And your last point, "Bitches". Yet again a slang term for "Birds", "Slags", "Slappers", "Moth" etc. And once again you fail to grasp simple slang dialect. For istance B.I.G's song "Me and My Bitch" basically means "Me and My Bird". Who can't relate to having a bird that you'd be willing to do anything for?

Hip Hop speaks to everybody, that's testament to the genre. I'll leave you with a Jay-Z quote which seems as though it was written specifically for you.

Motherfuckers say that I'm foolish I only talk about jewels / Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it? /

*puts hand on Woo's head, Scrappy Doo style*

*realises that sounds a little gay*

*lets him do his thing anyway; it is Christmas after all*

*thinks about doing something macho*

*unfortunately those £2 double vodka red bulls in popworld prevent him from doing anything bar feel like shit and watch the snooker whilst listening to his secret santa CD*

*wonders why we are posting with asterisk's around everything*

*thinks about doing something macho* *unfortunately those £2 double vodka red bulls in popworld prevent him from doing anything bar feel like shit and watch the snooker whilst listening to his secret santa CD* *wonders why we are posting with asterisk's around everything*
*because we like asterisks?* ****winks******

Chris, check out Gang Starr, a tribe called quest, old common records, outkast, Nas, Jurassic 5, blackstar, kev brown... Thered be more if my ipod was near.

...Jedi Mind Tricks, Pharcyde, Automato, Ghostface, Clipse, Old Dre & Snoop stuff.

UK stuff: Task Force, Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da corner

Chris_Royle: It's 2008, chill out.

Lil Waynes earlier stuff, before he went all Lollipop, is great and The Games first mixtape is what actually got me into hip hop and I have bought every one of his albums since and not been disapointed. I see why some people would dislike Game but he's my favourite rapper and easily the best in the west right now.

How can I relate to songs about, to quote your earlier post, "Drugs" and "Guns" and "Niggas" and "Bitches"? Easy mate.

Drugs are around us all in our every day lives and I know first hand the effects of people using drugs, as well as pushing drugs, has. Eminem - Drug Ballad describes how drugs effect people. This is the whole last verse.

That's the sound of a bottle when it's hollow

When you swallow it all

Wallow and drown in your sorrow

And tomorrow your probably gonna wanna do it again

What's a little spinal fluid between you and a friend, screw it

And whats a little bit of alcohol poisoning?

And whats a little fight?

Tomorrow you'll be boys again

It's your life live it however you wanna

Marajuana is everywhere, where was you brought up?

It don't matter as long as you get where you're goin'

Cause none of this shit's gonna mean shit where we're goin

They tell you to stop but you just sit there ignorin'

Even though you wake up feelin' like shit every morning

But your young you got a lot of drugs to do

Girls to screw, parties to crash, sucks to be you

If I could take it all back now I wouldn't

I would've did more shit that people said that I shouldnt

But I'm all grown up now and upgraded

And graduated to better drugs and updated

But I still gotta a lot of growin' up to do

I still gotta whole lot of throwin' up to spew

But when it's all said and done before I know it

I'll be forty with a forty on the porch tellin stories

With a bottle of Jack, two grandkids on my lap

Babysitting for Hailey, while Hailey's out gettin smashed

Guns? Our world is becoming increasingly violent and I had a friend of mine shot dead only 2 months ago. It should also be noted that when rappers are speaking about guns its usually to convey how much hatred they have for somebody. Sort of like "I hate Kevin, Shoot him with a Mac 11". Its not really about the guns. With that said I believe its easy to relate to the situation of losing someone close to you or wanting to kick the shit out of somebody, even if the cause of death or how you plan to kick the shit out of somebody is different. T.I. discusses losing a friend to gun violence in "Live In the Sky" which I can relate to.

"My cousin Toot ain't have to die right in front of his son and his wife

He lost his life struggling over a gun

Give a damn what he done that my motherfucking folk and I love that nigga 'til death no motherfucking joke"

Nigga? The word "Nigga" is basically like us saying "mate", "pal", "lad". Its simply just a different slang term from a different country but extremely easy to relate to. I find it amusing that you laugh at the "stupidity" of the kid on the train yet you fail to recognize basic slang when you hear it. Songs such as "Jigga That Nigga", "Jigga that Lad" or "For My Niggaz", "For my Mates" are really easy to understand if you overcome that fact. However "Nigga" should never be confused with "N***er" as both come with completely different history and meaning. The Game illustrates this in "Letter to the King".

The word nigger is nothing like nigga

Don't sound shit alike like game like jigga

One came before the other like aim and pull the trigga

One is slang for my brotha, one is hang and take a picture

The rope ain't tight enough, he still alive go fix it

Pour some gasoline on him, call his daughters black bitches

Make him pick cotton, while they momma clean up the kitchen

The same cotton in white tees that's the cotton they was pickin

And your last point, "Bitches". Yet again a slang term for "Birds", "Slags", "Slappers", "Moth" etc. And once again you fail to grasp simple slang dialect. For istance B.I.G's song "Me and My Bitch" basically means "Me and My Bird". Who can't relate to having a bird that you'd be willing to do anything for?

Hip Hop speaks to everybody, that's testament to the genre. I'll leave you with a Jay-Z quote which seems as though it was written specifically for you.

Motherfuckers say that I'm foolish I only talk about jewels / Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it? /

Fair play to you mate, I asked you to explain and you have. I'm fully aware of the use of nigga, but it still riles me to hear white kids using it and it tends to bother a lot of black people to hear even their own race use it. I know there is a school of thought within the African American Community in particular that see the word 'nigga' as taking it back for themselves, turning a negative word into a positive word. I'm all aware of the use of bitches and ho's too. I've not failed to grasp the meaning of any of the words, i just get annoyed at middle class suburbians who've not led a particularly difficuly life talking of the streets as if they've been there. I'm sure there are inner city areas all over the place suffering with issues of drugs and guns etc, but I just fail to see how the majority can claim to have any kind of connection with the vast majority of music.

There are a lot of 'old skool' hip hop artists who absolutely hate what 'rap' music has become. If it ever had a soul or a message, it all but disappeared a long time ago.

I think maybe you're being a little ignorant of the array of music that is classified as Rap at the very least. The idea that it's funny to see a white bloke who likes rap, your initial claim, is racist, not a shred of debate to be had there. The more specific comments about using the nigga term is a lot more open for debate.

You can't rhyme 'going' with 'going' as, technically, it's the same word.

Oxford disagrees.

A rhyme is a repetition of identical or similar sounds in two or more different words and is most often used in poetry and songs. The word "rhyme" may also refer to a short poem, such as a rhyming couplet or other brief rhyming poem such as nursery rhymes.

Nice of you to make an irrelevant comment on my post which was then proven to be total bollocks. If that's the only hole you can find with that post then I think I done pretty alright.

Oxford disagrees.

A rhyme is a repetition of identical or similar sounds in two or more different words and is most often used in poetry and songs. The word "rhyme" may also refer to a short poem, such as a rhyming couplet or other brief rhyming poem such as nursery rhymes.

Nice of you to make an irrelevant comment on my post which was then proven to be total bollocks. If that's the only hole you can find with that post then I think I done pretty alright.

So you missed the "two or more different words" bit then?