You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Graffiti: Art or Vandalism

Acid

Acid, you might want to get hold of a copy of No Logo and have a quick read of some of the stuff there about graffitti and street art; it has some good points about the public domain vanishing to the private and the contrast between the concept of paying to bombard people with advertising (fine) and any form of street art (wrong).

Noos is coming across as slightly less informed on the issue than my grandad might be with his "It's all bloody noise to me" stance. If you want to argue that some bland picture of sunflowers is more of an artform than Banksy's graffitti on the Palestinian Aparthied Wall then go right ahead; but you'll be talking more shit than you've ever talked before.

Or, alternatively, you can get round people's outdated notions of what constitutes art and what doesn't by just walking into the tate and hanging your own picture up, as Banksy did a while back. That makes it proper art, you see.

How can I be slightly less informed than anyone else on the subject of something I see every day like everyone else, Monty, you enormous cockend?

I knew some middle-aged down with the kids beardy would start trotting out Banksy and gibbering on about social commentary. The truth is that the vast majority of graffiti is not Banksy, is not providing any social commentary, is adding nothing to the cultural fabric of our society and is not fucking art. It is nearly always some twat writing his nickname in big fuck-off letters over someone else's property.

Even some of the colourful pics on here are only considered good because they've been done on a wall, not because the picture itself has any depth, meaning or is actually any good at all. That picture of the woman's face with the flaming hair etc - OK, so it must have been difficult to get the face right using spray paint on a wall, but I'd ask why did they bother in the first place? It's a shit picture that means nothing. Would anyone have it on a poster in a frame on their living room wall? I doubt it. It's akin to one of those pictures of a white tiger running through some snowy landscape that Shannon Matthew's mum probably has in her kitchen.

Acid, you might want to get hold of a copy of No Logo and have a quick read of some of the stuff there about graffitti and street art; it has some good points about the public domain vanishing to the private and the contrast between the concept of paying to bombard people with advertising (fine) and any form of street art (wrong).

Noos is coming across as slightly less informed on the issue than my grandad might be with his "It's all bloody noise to me" stance. If you want to argue that some bland picture of sunflowers is more of an artform than Banksy's graffitti on the Palestinian Aparthied Wall then go right ahead; but you'll be talking more shit than you've ever talked before.

Or, alternatively, you can get round people's outdated notions of what constitutes art and what doesn't by just walking into the tate and hanging your own picture up, as Banksy did a while back. That makes it proper art, you see.

How can I be slightly less informed than anyone else on the subject of something I see every day like everyone else, Monty, you enormous cockend?

I knew some middle-aged down with the kids beardy would start trotting out Banksy and gibbering on about social commentary. The truth is that the vast majority of graffiti is not Banksy, is not providing any social commentary, is adding nothing to the cultural fabric of our society and is not fucking art. It is nearly always some twat writing his nickname in big fuck-off letters over someone else's property.

Even some of the colourful pics on here are only considered good because they've been done on a wall, not because the picture itself has any depth, meaning or is actually any good at all. That picture of the woman's face with the flaming hair etc - OK, so it must have been difficult to get the face right using spray paint on a wall, but I'd ask why did they bother in the first place? It's a shit picture that means nothing. Would anyone have it on a poster in a frame on their living room wall? I doubt it. It's akin to one of those pictures of a white tiger running through some snowy landscape that Shannon Matthew's mum probably has in her kitchen.

That just makes it shit art. Obviously someone scrawling "Darren Iz Da Best" on a wall isn't art but I'm presuming we're talking about people actually trying to create something for it's own visual merit; and in that sense it's art just as much as any picture. Just because a painting is shite you don't dismiss the fact that it's still art.

Art is Art..I mean someone once stuck elephant poo to a canvas and got away with so anything goes really.

Oh, that's where I start getting annoyed. I can look at graffiti all day and love it, but when you can pick your nose then wipe a bogey on the wall and go "hey! It's modern art!" that's when it starts getting fucking stupid.

• 1 month later...

The only graffiti that says anything to me is an erect penis with a big pair of hairy bollocks attached, and maybe some spunk ejaculating out of the said penis, and hairs on the said bollocks, all done really quickly on the back wall of some sad sack neighbours gaff.

It took me ages to scrub it off.

• 2 weeks later...