You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve McQueen....

HurdyGurdyMan

King of cool. Childhood hero of mine. Magnificent seven, Great Escape, Sand Pebble's, Bullit, Getaway, Papillion & Towering Inferno. Cunt of a man who didn't give a shite what people thought of him.....Whatever happened to all the heroes? He was a true star. Who's comparable?...........Lager kicking in so I thought I'd ask?!

McQueen was indeed shit cool, especially in The Great Escape, Bullitt and The Magnificent Seven.

However, I watched a documentary about his life a while back and his ex wife taked about how he used to get mad and punch the shit out of her.

Deffo tarnished his image in my mind.

Yeah Crowe is a good shout Col, excellent actor and massive cunt - although he does score points for once beating up Moby in a Sydney nightclub.

Robert Downey Jnr is a top actor with a 'colourful' rep, prison, drugs and shit.

Sean Penn, another awesome actor.

Penn's personal life began to attract media attention when he married pop star Madonna in 1985. The relationship was marred by violent outbursts against the press, including one incident for which he was arrested for violently beating a photographer. It is also suggested that when Penn discovered the paparazzo in his hotel room, he hung him by his ankles from the ninth-floor balcony.[9] Madonna dedicated her third studio album, True Blue to Penn, referring to him in the liner notes as "the coolest guy in the universe". Later in the marriage, Penn was charged with felony domestic assault, a charge for which he pleaded to a misdemeanor

Superb

• 9 years later...

Papillion is a great film. Mcqueen is one of my favourite actors. I also like Le Mans but thats more of a motorsport documentary.

Another favourite from the same era who I think was of the same type who was a great actor and cool but didnt give a fuck was Patrick McGoohan.

Was asked to do Bond several times but turned it down, didnt like guns (his danger man character would often out wit someone with a gun and knock them out) and didnt want to kiss any women on screen as was devoted to his wife.

Cant think of modern day equivalents.

• Upvote 1

What's Papillion like? I recorded it last night & have always fancied it.

Steve McQueen almost always had a decent coat on too.

Steve-McQueen-in-navy-Harrington-Jacket.

I've seen it ages ago, remember being disappointed by it as it didn't live up to expectations. Maybe I should watch it again now. I think I was put off by the modernist affectations of its time, also didn't appreciate the narration, lack of unity of time and space. For me, it fits with a coupe of other films of that time that come with great reputation I think are massively overrated, like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for example.

• Upvote 1

For me, it fits with a coupe of other films of that time that come with great reputation I think are massively overrated, like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for example.

giphy.gif

Papillion is one of those movies you watch once and it's great but watch it again as it does become a bit of an ordeal.

But Butch and Sundance overrated no way that is one of the all time great movies, brilliant script , great soundtrack and superb acting,it's one of those movies like Jaws if you switch over to it halfway through you end up watching it all

• Upvote 1

giphy.gif

Papillion is one of those movies you watch once and it's great but watch it again as it does become a bit of an ordeal.

But Butch and Sundance overrated no way that is one of the all time great movies, brilliant script , great soundtrack and superb acting,it's one of those movies like Jaws if you switch over to it halfway through you end up watching it all

I always thought BC&SK it was the very definition of overrated, I've seen it recently again and I hated everything in it, from the narration and Bacharach's music to the way it shat all over the western tradition with its modernist approach (I never understood why was George Roy Hill seen as some important director in the 70s). It was showered with Oscars The insult added to injury for me was that the same year Sam Pechinpah's Wild Bunch came out, dealing with similar subject, and went largely unnoticed, despite being one of the best films ever made.

• Upvote 1

I always thought BC&SK it was the very definition of overrated, I've seen it recently again and I hated everything in it, from the narration and Bacharach's music to the way it shat all over the western tradition with its modernist approach (I never understood why was George Roy Hill seen as some important director in the 70s). It was showered with Oscars The insult added to injury for me was that the same year Sam Pechinpah's Wild Bunch came out, dealing with similar subject, and went largely unnoticed, despite being one of the best films ever made.

Fazakerley! As good as it gets.

Just had a look at them, liking this one...

barbour_international_steve_mcqueen_merc

Especially the button...

1436773871-01679900.jpg

It was similar to that, it was the navy harrington jacket. Honestly, couldn't be more pleased with a jacket purchase as I never seem to find ones I like.

• Upvote 1