You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

However it does make you wonder why we signed him

I think Rafa signed him because he's a clever player. He's a schemer, works hard and is starting to fit in. Now he needs to maintain this level of form for a sustained period, with a nice brace he'll have more confidence.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However it does make you wonder why we signed him

No it doesn't... Keane has loads of skill and trickery. We've been crying out for more 'flair' and Keane definitely adds that.

He isn't one dimensional, like a player like Bent or Defoe, because Keane can produce magic when supporting other players.

His ability to run behind defences and run onto balls is another facet.

If I can presume to think that I understand what Rafa is building in our attack, is a very balanced, pacey, fluid attack that is lethal on the counterattack.

We will murder people in Europe who attack us because we will have a lot of pace available to hit them, quickly.

Gerrard is fast, Keane is fast, Torres is lightning, Babel is fast, Dossena is fast, Pennant is fast, and even N'gog is fast.

We have lacked pace for a number of years, as well, with just Owen, Cisse, even Sinama-Pongolle to rely on...

I think Torres will still continue to score bagfuls because he isn't changing his natural game. I think Keane might struggle because he will be asked to support Torres and despite what peoples perceptions are, Keane isn't that type of player.

I have seen Keane form partnerships with numberous strikers over the years. Sometimes as the main striker, sometimes as the supporting striker. But either way he delivers over the course of the season. Ask Quinn, Bellamy and Berbatov what they think of Keane, amongst other partners he's had over the years.

Keane is proving a success...

Why?

Because since he has signed he has contributed in our team getting three points clear of the top of the legue and beating some tough teams along the way. He's added depth to the squad as we showed today bring on Alonso, Torres and Babel to an already impressive Liverpool team.

I couldn't give a shit how many goals he scores or how much he cost as we're top of the league and he's playing a key part in that.

Stayed off this thread for a while as I knew what it'd be like and I couldn't be arsed repeating the same view. However, I thought I'd dip my toe after that brace last night to see how the land lies.

Whatever people's opinions on keane, whether he'll come good or a waste of money, no one can disagree that his form and goal threat is very worrying for someone who was going to take us further forward.

I think benitez and the coaching staff have a massive task on their hands to make this work. Whatever benitez says in public, he must be concerned also. Surely?

I can say in all honesty that I have not been worried in the slightest about his form and goal threat. I'm far from certain that the goals from last night will see him suddenly scoring freely from this point on, but I know he'll prove to be a very good - and possibly even great - signing in time. There is a cliche that sums it up: form is temporary, class is permanent - and Robbie Keane has got class.

He has been working hard, while injured and playing in a role that doesn't suit his game, showing all the signs that things will click for him: he gets into great positions; his movement is superb; his awareness of other players (especially Gerrard) in and around the box is fantastic; and he can play the crafty little passes that open up tight defences.

From the minute we were first linked with him, I thought he'd be a great signing and I've seen nothing to change my mind. In fact, I also believe the price tag will prove justified with time. He is a real Liverpool player, in my view.

Peter Beardsley was shite until January from what I remember.

Disclaimer: My judgement may have been somewhat clouded because he was keeping my boy Walshy out of the team.

I seem to recall it being November (happily enough, if we're drawing parallels with Keane).

I think pushing Tevez to the bench for Berbatov is a BIG error.

Leaving aside the fact that Tevez is on the bench, I think the signing of Berbatov will prove to be a masterstroke by Fergie. I still think The Mancs will finish in the top two; all that's happening now is they are having their customary slow start and also adjusting to a slightly different tactical set up with Berbatov on the pitch.

Peter Beardsley was shite until January from what I remember.

Disclaimer: My judgement may have been somewhat clouded because he was keeping my boy Walshy out of the team

That's my recollection too. I think he scored twice at home against Coventry on New Years Day and really kicked on from there (scoring that cracker against Arsenal in the next home game).

If "Digger" was the star of the first half of the season then "Quasi" was the man of the second.

I have seen Keane form partnerships with numberous strikers over the years. Sometimes as the main striker, sometimes as the supporting striker. But either way he delivers over the course of the season. Ask Quinn, Bellamy and Berbatov what they think of Keane, amongst other partners he's had over the years.

When did Bellamy play alongside Keane? What can't i remember here? Am confused.

A good defence of him, but I'm afraid the price-tage IS relevant: because he cost £20m and you haver to judge him against players of that quality whom we could have bought instead. So to say that price doesn't matter is, I'm afraid, misleading in the extreme.

When did Bellamy play alongside Keane? What can't i remember here? Am confused.

A good defence of him, but I'm afraid the price-tage IS relevant: because he cost £20m and you haver to judge him against players of that quality whom we could have bought instead. So to say that price doesn't matter is, I'm afraid, misleading in the extreme.

Such as?

Leaving aside the fact that Tevez is on the bench, I think the signing of Berbatov will prove to be a masterstroke by Fergie. I still think The Mancs will finish in the top two; all that's happening now is they are having their customary slow start and also adjusting to a slightly different tactical set up with Berbatov on the pitch.

I actually think it will prove to be more of a bad decision than a good one.

I think Ferguson thought they needed a different option and Berbatov will provide this more direct approach at times, as Tevez and Rooney are both relatively small strikers. Berbatov gives them an outlet a more physical approach and in that sense it's a good move.

However I think it has affected the balance of the team, as Fergie is constantly changing his front players in order to keep them all happy. Sometimes Tevez / Rooney upfront, sometimes Berbatov / Rooney, other times Tevez / Berbatov and that doesn't include Ronaldo who adds to the equation when used upfront.

They almost have too many good options and as he's trying to give them all minutes to keep them all happy, it has lead to a lack of cohesion. I remember when they signed Veron, who was no doubt an excellent player at the time. This gave him more options, as he was able to play with a lone striker, as well as 4-4-2. But he often would try to keep all his big players happy - with Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, Keane and Veron, which didn't necessarily suit their team, which was clearly 4-4-2.

I think title winning teams need very good effective players who are willing to be bit part players and happy to be on the bench a large percentage of times. We have this with Hyypia, Babel, Benayoun, Pennant, Lucas - players who won't play week in, week out, but they can be effective when needed. United have been brilliant at having these options over the years, most notibly with Ole Gunner, but also other good squad players in Fletcher, O'Shea, P Neville, Butt etc. I don't think Berbatov, Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez all expect to play week in, week out and Fergie knows this, so he's rottating them constantly to keep the all happy. However this constant hanging will affect their performance, in my opinion.

You can never have too many good players. But I do think you can have too many players who expect to play week in, week out. We nearly had a problem this season with Agger getting a lack of appearances and a injury to Skrtel solved this tough decision for Benitez.

I think pushing Tevez to the bench for Berbatov is a BIG error.

Totally agree.

Tevez works so hard for his teammates; Berb is a luxury player

Given that they already have the LadyBoy who is the ultimate luxury player, playing Berb as well completly unbalances them

So good to watch GinSoak making tactical decisions without Quiroz there to correct them (remember when he dropped Schmeical in Braca & lost 4-0... happy, happy days)

Unfortunately he'll get a proper "assistant" in soon who'll really run the show & we'll see Berb on the bench but good while it lasts...

Berbatov really isn't a prolific scorer. His record has never showed any consistant run of scoring.

He's got silky skills, but he's lazy, moody, and a total shitemachine. Hopefully, Tevez's demotion to the bench will tip his willingnes to stay at UTD to unwillingness.

I think he's better than Rooney(How many easy goals does Shrek miss? Loads!) or Berbs.

Made up for Keane.

I never understood why people doubted he'd come good because it's not as though he's an unknown quantity in the Premiership, or even if he'd had one good season before his move, he's been scoring goals year in and year out. I've likd him since his Coventry days (never saw much of him at Wolves).

I have my doubts as to whether we actually need him, but that's a seperate discussion - as is the fee - but how people could doubt his quality is baffling.

One thing though, Rafa needs to stop taking him off because I can see Keane just losing it one day and that will be the end of that, he'll be packed off to Villa for about 7m.