You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Javier Mascherano's workrate is amazing - Rafa Benitez

Glen C

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/09/15/liverpool-fc-2-manchester-united-1-javier-mascherano-s-workrate-is-amazing-rafa-benitez-100252-21817252/

RAFA BENITEZ hailed the "amazing" workrate of Reds midfielder Javier Mascherano in Saturday's triumph over Manchester United.

And he added that the only other player who came close to matching the little Argentinian’s infectious attitude was former Reds midfielder Momo Sissoko.

“The workrate of Javier Mascherano in the midfield is amazing,” said Benitez.

“He can give the other midfield players more freedom. If you go with more offensive players you know he will be in a good defensive position, and that is very important for the team.

“The only player who covered more ground than Mascherano was Momo Sissoko. The difference is Javier has more experience. Momo was amazing and Mascherano is as good as Momo in terms of the workrate but also has better positions.”

Benitez added: “I was really disappointed when they scored so early because I wanted a high tempo from the start. They were passing the ball and keeping possession, so we needed to change a lot of things. I think it was really important to have chances and to improve a lot in the second half.

"A lot of players worked really hard, especially the strikers Dirk Kuyt and Robbie Keane, who were doing amazing work up front, and also Albert Riera in his first game played well.

"Physically he was not ready but we needed to use his ability.

"One thing that we needed to improve was our results against the top sides so now we have three points and we are in a better position than last season. We now have more wins against the top four so hopefully it will be the same against Chelsea and Arsenal. Everton is also another difficult game for us."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're very silly.

Very, VERY silly.

Mascherano`s main job is to shield the defense, when he allowed Tevez all the time ans space in the world to score the first goal I would claim he failed miserably with his job.

Players who makes such vital mistakes can never be seen as the best player on the pitch.

If a goalkeeper makes 9 superb saves, but then gifts the opposition a goal he will never be voted MOTM.

Mascherano did a great job in midfield togehter with Alonso, but his mistake was too big to let it slip away unnoticed.

Oh Mr Controversial again. Going against the grain I see, well don't. Your impressing no-one with your 'measured' 'thinking man's cat' opinions.

Are you going to say a good word about Kuyt's performance?

And for crying out loud get rid of that stupid avatar.

Are you talking to me? Hard to tell but i'm guessing it's me. If so i'm not going against the grain at all as i've never said a bad word about mascherano in my life as i love the guy. Regarding kuyts performance you'll find i did praise him in the keane vs kuyt thread.

Tough shit if you don't like my avatar...nothing personal.

I've not been aware of your work before, but I can see your reputation is very well deserved.

So you think Mascherano did an amazing piece of work in that situation then I guess?

Well he did not.

he had an overall good game, but that exact situation puts him behind Alonso in the MOTM award from my perspective.

Had Alonso been responsibel for that we probably would have got calls for Barry all over the place.

Lads just stop with the constant petty bickering. Debatings one thing but having constant swipes at eachother over multiple threads is getting ridiculous.

Forget his workrate, Javier Mascherano is general is amazing.

Mascherano`s main job is to shield the defense, when he allowed Tevez all the time ans space in the world to score the first goal I would claim he failed miserably with his job.

Players who makes such vital mistakes can never be seen as the best player on the pitch.

If a goalkeeper makes 9 superb saves, but then gifts the opposition a goal he will never be voted MOTM.

Mascherano did a great job in midfield togehter with Alonso, but his mistake was too big to let it slip away unnoticed.

Yes, he made a mistake. He shall forever be condemned for it. You're a new breed of wierd and make me hate the world a little more.

That's just completely wrong..... maybe Masch messed up and we conceded, but then he played in the side that helped us win, and played really well. The win was more important than the first goal wasn't it? So how could he not be MOTM? It all depends on what he did from the minute that goal went in to the end of the game. I think you're just on a wind up. I don't know if you're trying to wind yourself up though or us...

I agree Woo, Mascherano is a superb player in his position.

My point was that Rafa has praised players left right and center after the manc game, but the player he has treated like an outcast all summer who put in an MOTM performance has not been mentioned once, other than by the captain and not Rafa himself.

I think that is a worrying sign.

And then went about correcting his mistake by putting in an awesome performance.

Mascherano was man of the match by a mile mate, Alonso played well, as did many other's, but no way was he better than Mascherano, not a chance.

I agree Woo, Mascherano is a superb player in his position.

My point was that Rafa has praised players left right and center after the manc game, but the player he has treated like an outcast all summer who put in an MOTM performance has not been mentioned once, other than by the captain and not Rafa himself.

I think that is a worrying sign.

I agee, youve got a point there, but its hardly suprising after the way Xabi's been treated this summer. Atleast Stevie did it for him - GERRARD HAILS STAR MAN XABI

Yes, he made a mistake. He shall forever be condemned for it. You're a new breed of wierd and make me hate the world a little more.

I`m not condemning him at all,I just think such a mistake clouds an overall great performance.

I had Mascherano in my MOTM voting by the way, so just let it go.

1.Alonso

2.Carra

3.Mascherano

And then went about correcting his mistake by putting in an awesome performance.

Mascherano was man of the match by a mile mate, Alonso played well, as did many other's, but no way was he better than Mascherano, not a chance.

Is the right answer.

Mascherano was immense. Even though theres no physical evidence to go with this, i.e scoring/setting up a goal, I don't think we'd have won without him. Amongst many things his attitude actually raised the crowd which in turn raised the whole team.

Agenda!

Rafa didn't do a lot of things. A lot of things to beat him with. Why bring Alonso into it?

I didn't hear Alonso talking about how Rafa masterminded LFC to success over the Mancs but didn't try and work into into some other story.

Fact is 9 people out of 10 will tell you Macherano was by far the best player and simply freed Alonso up to do his stuff