You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

........ anyone who doesnt want Barry here, but it seems to me that the main reason those who dont want him is because his isnt Alonso.

Does anyone remember some of the supposed "ordinary" players we have had in some of our Championship winning sides? The ones who quietly slotted in, got on with their jobs so the "better" players could get on with theirs.

Maybe, just maybe, this is what Barry might bring. Just a thought.

Yes, I know there are loads of Barry threads, but I want to break into the top 10 that was set up last night.

PS, no slagging off anyone with a different view on this thread please. Theres enough of that shite going on elsewhere. Ta muchly.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of is down to Barry not being Alonso because in my eyes he's not a patch on Alonso. The only thing that Barry has going for him is that he's left footed and if he signs, I suspect that's where he'll play a lot of the time.

But for me the main reason I don't want Barry here is that I don't think he's actually worth anywhere near the money we're going to give Villa and considering we don't exactly have a lot of cash to spend I just don't understand why we're bothering. I said in one of the other threads that Villa have signed Sidwell for £5m and that for me is Barry's level and we really shouldn't be spending much more than that. The fact that we're actually prepared to spend an extra £13m and are prepared to sacrifce Alonso to raise the cash is mind boggling.

i think people are forming an opinion on Barry on his Villa days but he has always shone in that side as a player of quality, just how much quality no one knows

In this current Liverpool team he could turn out to be the best midfielder we have, i'm not saying he will just that it is an unknown

So how you can judge his ability to the price we will pay i dont know if we pay 18m and win the prem will he have been worth it?

Rafa has decided he is a player that he would like to sign we offered 15m, we will have to pay around 18m, which might be 16m plus Finnan.

How many times have we missed out on a player because we didnt pay the 1 or 2m extra?

Now we are paying it, people say the player isnt worth it, I'm not saying we should or we shouldnt just that the players worth should be judged at the end of the season as to if he has been worth the fee or not.

I think with Barry in the squad we are much stronger than without him

Signing Barry doesnt mean that he is a replacement for Alonso if Rafa has decided Alonso is out then that is that, the manager lives and dies by his decision.

What happens if Rafa knows he is out next season and he is looking to ensure that his spanish players are all set up with teams before he goes ?

No one knows what the score is Alonso might still be here with Barry and all 4 might be in the Midfield i will wait and see before i start having a go at either decision regarding Barry and Alonso

Not having a go at Barry as a player, i just dont see how he will improve us further. Rather than using Alonso. Well i can see it in theory, but it is far from certain and a gamble no matter how you put it. IMO buying a central midfielder and selling another, especially a quality player such as Alonso, makes very little sense when central midfield is probably our strongest position. I do not agree with Rafa on this one.

Oh look, one of the chuckle brothers has come to fuck up another thread. Incidentally, what part of "no slagging off anyone with a different point of view", dont you get? Or are you permanently obnoxious?

I wasn't slagging anyone off, the chap said Barry is better than Xabi and i asked him to expand on it, nothing more than that really.

my take on the whole situation is i wud be sorry to see alonso going , but to be fair he hasnt played well in a season or two . and in his position i dont think we are stretched for players , and since we have to sell to buy barry , then i think its a logical explanation. and personally i think barry will play more often on the wing if we sign him , or the left hand side of the three behind torres . versatile is the key word , seems to be wat rafa likes.

on another note , everyone is entitled to their opinion on here , but it wud be better to get behind the team and focus on supporting them , one and all .

........ anyone who doesnt want Barry here, but it seems to me that the main reason those who dont want him is because his isnt Alonso.

Does anyone remember some of the supposed "ordinary" players we have had in some of our Championship winning sides? The ones who quietly slotted in, got on with their jobs so the "better" players could get on with theirs.

Maybe, just maybe, this is what Barry might bring. Just a thought.

Yes, I know there are loads of Barry threads, but I want to break into the top 10 that was set up last night.

PS, no slagging off anyone with a different view on this thread please. Theres enough of that shite going on elsewhere. Ta muchly.

He's vastly overpriced and just not good enough for LFC IMO

I'd quite happily bring Barry in. However , I'd never do it at the expense of Alonso. The price they're asking for is laughable , most Aston Villa fans were saying they'd be delighted with 14m. It now seems , as well as having our name dragged through the mad for 3 months, we're giving them our best Rb and 17m.

I just cannot understand it.

In what parrell universe might that be?

Alonso is a world class player we all no that ,but a premiership player he aint.Barry on the other hand isn't world class,but he is a extremely good premiership player.

I do think we are getting screwed over the price though.

Alonso is a world class player we all no that ,but a premiership player he aint.Barry on the other hand isn't world class,but he is a extremely good premiership player.

I do think we are getting screwed over the price though.

I'd like to challenge you on something but i want to make it clear before anyone jumps on me IM NOT SLAGGING HIM OFF.

You say Xabi isn't a Premiership yet he has managed to last 4 years here, how could he of possibly managed to do that if he isn't cut out for this league?

I'd like to challenge you on something but i want to make it clear before anyone jumps on me IM NOT SLAGGING HIM OFF.

You say Xabi isn't a Premiership yet he has managed to last 4 years here, how could he of possibly managed to do that if he isn't cut out for this league?

Yet his form has gotten progressively worse for each of them four seasons. Funny that.

Edited by Ged B

I dont think Barry is a bad player but i think he would make a better left back than a CM,

so paying 18 million for him is about 8 million too much. I think the money is most peoples problem with us signing him rather than losing Alonso.