You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reina's kicking.

A_S

Ok, so I've not seen as much football as many others on here would have and also is the fact that I've obviously seen far more of Pepe in goal than other keepers, but one thing that I can't help but notice is that Reina seems to actually have a lot more purpose in his kicking, for example when he rushes off his line and catches a ball then straight away starts looking downfield before launching one of those sidekicks often for Nando to run onto.

Seeing Jens Lehmann move like a fucking dinosaur and then lob this skyball barely to the halfway line made me realise that Pepe almost never does that in the same situation. Sitting in the Kop for the Man City game gave me my first goal-to-goal view of a game and if anything, it made me even clearer in my view that Reina is one of, if not the best at this. Joe Hart at the other end, despite having an otherwise excellent game that day, sent a few balls out of play even from goal-kicks.

Now is it just that I haven't seen enough quality keepers before or is it a valid point? People always talk about keepers being good 'shot-stoppers' or shite because they 'flap' at crosses, but I find this aspect is under-rated and rarely mentioned, though it can be an extra weapon for a keeper who knows what he is doing.

I'm interested in your replies. :smile:

Ok, so I've not seen as much football as many others on here would have and also is the fact that I've obviously seen far more of Pepe in goal than other keepers, but one thing that I can't help but notice is that Reina seems to actually have a lot more purpose in his kicking, for example when he rushes off his line and catches a ball then straight away starts looking downfield before launching one of those sidekicks often for Nando to run onto.

Seeing Jens Lehmann move like a fucking dinosaur and then lob this skyball barely to the halfway line made me realise that Pepe almost never does that in the same situation. Sitting in the Kop for the Man City game gave me my first goal-to-goal view of a game and if anything, it made me even clearer in my view that Reina is one of, if not the best at this. Joe Hart at the other end, despite having an otherwise excellent game that day, sent a few balls out of play even from goal-kicks.

Now is it just that I haven't seen enough quality keepers before or is it a valid point? People always talk about keepers being good 'shot-stoppers' or shite because they 'flap' at crosses, but I find this aspect is under-rated and rarely mentioned, though it can be an extra weapon for a keeper who knows what he is doing.

I'm interested in your replies. :smile:

I agree 100%, and it's something he's rarely credited for. His throwing is fast, long, low and accurate (a la, dare I say it, Peter Schmeichel), and the sideways kick he employs allows him to keep the ball low and fast and (mostly) accurate.

Good point well made.

I agree 100%, and it's something he's rarely credited for. His throwing is fast, long, low and accurate (a la, dare I say it, Peter Schmeichel), and the sideways kick he employs allows him to keep the ball low and fast and (mostly) accurate.

Good point well made.

Good point you make too, that I forgot to re. the throwing. Similar issue but again, one he does use to good effect.

Reina pings the ball crossfield with accuracy matched only by Alonso, Molby and Hoddle (that I can recall).

Remember that pre-season game (in Germany?) where Pepe played in midfield, and actually did quite well?

I honestly believe that if we can keep hold of him,Then he we will go on to be the best keeper we have had.The guy is no were near at his peak yet.Thing is I can't see him staying for many more seasons.

Would be great to have him here till he ended his carear but I think he will go back to Spain well before then.

I honestly believe that if we can keep hold of him,Then he we will go on to be the best keeper we have had.The guy is no were near at his peak yet.Thing is I can't see him staying for many more seasons.

Would be great to have him here till he ended his carear but I think he will go back to Spain well before then.

What are your reasons for him wanting to leave? I honestly believe that Rafa is creating something here that will be ultimately successful and if so, why would he want to leave, at least before he'd achieved success at Anfield?

I think he will win the league or he'll be sacked, but he won'r walk away...

Pepe's fucking ace yet massively underrated by everyone except reds.

I hope Casillas breaks in two* and Pepe leads Spain to Euro glory so everyone will realise just how great he is.

*not really, seems a decent lad if a tad overrated.

What are your reasons for him wanting to leave? I honestly believe that Rafa is creating something here that will be ultimately successful and if so, why would he want to leave, at least before he'd achieved success at Anfield?

I think he will win the league or he'll be sacked, but he won'r walk away...

Pretty sure I read interview with him awhile back,saying he would like to return to Spain before end of his carear.Plus I get the impression that out of all the Spanish players here he seems the most likely to leave.

If he wants the Spanish number 1 top as well he needs to be playing in Spain to have any chance.Thats just my thoughts on it.

Pepe's fucking ace yet massively underrated by everyone except reds.

Spot on. Everything I've read about the Euros harps on about how great Casillas is (which I've no problem with: he is) and how much of an error-strewn goon Pepe is before profiling the rest of the Spanish squad.

Now, I'm not saying Pepe's never made a mistake in his life. I could have punched him after the Andy Johnson goal. But that darling of the press Petr Cech has looked decidedly average for a while now. When he dropped that clanger against Turkey, the commentators all mentioned how surprising it was that Cech had made a mistake. Yet I can think of numerous occasions this season when he's looked dodgy on crosses, without mentioning his howler against us (Babel's 30 yarder).

I'm not knocking Cech for this, it's part and parcel of the goalkeeper's life (and all the other clichés) but it greatly irritates me to see some goalkeeper's reputations remain untouchable no matter what they do (eg Cech), and yet others are refused a reputation regardless of their consistency or achievements (like Reina and his annual Golden Gloves award).