You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read all 8 pages of posts, but I have to agree with people that have said to put your family first.. they'll thank you for it in the end and if you're not making any money and having to live on handouts then what's the point.. surely that takes away some of the satisfaction from producing such a fantastic mag.

Whatever 2008 holds for TLW, I hope it works out for the best..

As for a "Proper job" - it's fcuking over rated mate!

That is not true. Though europeans do work less than asians and americans. Maybe the Brits work harder too, but the self-employed and employees in many businesses put in long hours even in Europe.

You appear to be correct. LINK

I stand by my contention that 50 hours is more than enough.

Dave, I fully understand your point about the hours - a massive factor in my career choice was how family friendly it is. However, the reason I said 50 didn't sound a lot was not about you working for working's sake; it was about the size of the task you appear to have in front of you. The suggestions on here are about fundamentally changing all three aspects of your business (fanzine, website and merchandise). That is going to take some serious effort and the money will only start to come in once the work is done. That said, if it's 50, it's 50.

However, another related question is to do with your time management: how well organised and disciplined are you? Do you prioritise and make "To do" lists? These never came naturally to me, but now I can't operate without them. I write down every single thing I need to do in a diary and then do a daily list of jobs with the biggest/toughest/most pressing prioritised first. I may be teaching my granny to such eggs, here. However, I know I'd be shite with self-set deadlines like you have and you've said many times how you sometimes find it hard to get a new issue out.

Dave, I fully understand your point about the hours - a massive factor in my career choice was how family friendly it is. However, the reason I said 50 didn't sound a lot was not about you working for working's sake; it was about the size of the task you appear to have in front of you. The suggestions on here are about fundamentally changing all three aspects of your business (fanzine, website and merchandise). That is going to take some serious effort and the money will only start to come in once the work is done. That said, if it's 50, it's 50.

However, another related question is to do with your time management: how well organised and disciplined are you?

. I may be teaching my granny to such eggs, here. However, I know I'd be shite with self-set deadlines like you have and you've said many times how you sometimes find it hard to get a new issue out.

I am fundamentally against lists as my wife makes them and tehy drive me fukcing nuts. She even bought a big white board and plasticized it to teh fridge and puts things on it like 'pick up dog poop' or 'mop floor'. She didn't put out for a week when I erased that and put up a fixture list...wigan vs LFC Setabta 1300 Everton vs Liverpool Sportsnet West 1600..

If the mag came out every month, even in teh summer to cover transfer issues and year in review, you could increase sales as more mags=more sub money coming in. You would need regular contributors and I have been negligent in doing articles, perhaps some regular features (ex- Monty's Sleeping with the Enemy- surely between fucking up New Years Eve rail travel teh Mont could get an interview for each month, or even bi-monthly. Tom Ross rants was well funny as well, etc). The more people on here do the less you have to do I guess. There are some good posters who I don't think have written anyhting for the mag. Maybe the odd interview although I reckon the club would be a bit guarded aboot that...ie- So tell me about the time you went on the piss with Didi and won £300 on the 230?

The ressie/U18 reports are great as well as there is always a thirst for knowledge about that. Maybe CB could helpo you out with a legends interview once in awhile- people would love to read a Smicer or Biscan piece, or even players from the 80s, 70s etc. Maybe, maybe, even your good pal Howie would do one????

You could give Rashid a page becuase I'm sure there's loads of people wanting to hear what he has to say as he's been banned from every LFC site bar one. It could be sponsored by British Pork. We could call it Jihad on the Terrace.

You could give Rashid a page becuase I'm sure there's loads of people wanting to hear what he has to say as he's been banned from every LFC site bar one. It could be sponsored by British Pork. We could call it Jihad on the Terrace.

Or more to the point banned on only one site? If you want people to laugh at your jokes fine, just leave me out of it mate because I don't find you funny.

So telling a Muslim guy he has a column sponsored by Pork and calling it Jihad on the Terrace is funny? I am usually up for a laugh but I find that fucking offensive. Do you think that would sound funny in a pub or outside somewhere face to face? I don't.

Laugh away.... at my expense... some people are utter wankers.

Or more to the point banned on only one site? If you want people to laugh at your jokes fine, just leave me out of it mate because I don't find you funny.

Banned from RAWK ? Come on, you can do better than that. I´m banned from rawk too and I´ve made only under 50 posts there. ANYBODY CAN DO THAT, FFS !!!

If you want your own column you ought to be more controversial and not be so fucking sensitive. Grow upå.

Banned from RAWK ? Come on, you can do better than that. I´m banned from rawk too and I´ve made only under 50 posts there. ANYBODY CAN DO THAT, FFS !!!

If you want your own column you ought to be more controversial and not be so fucking sensitive. Grow upå.

He is a whinger. Hell go on and on and on etc. If someone pulls him up on the crap he is posting, he'll run along crying. Its what/who he is. He is a nobody.

2008 really should be the year for TLW as the only remaining thinking man's fanzine. I'm fucked if I'll buy RAOTL and not having a L postcode I don't meet the entry requirements for 'Boss'. In no particular order..

I'd echo a lot of what Neil G said, TTWAR readers will certainly be looking for something to fill the gap. Are your sellers in the right places? Where did (does) TTWAR sell best from?

What do the more successful fanzines at other clubs do? Whenever I've been at the piggery they push red issue hard with multiple sellers on the walk down to the sump. They always shout 'Latest Issue' to draw attention - which is inevitably factually correct unless you've already bought it. RAOTL sellers are always more apparent at Anfield / aways - does this mitigate for the awful product?

Every time I buy a programme I think what incredibly good value the fanzine is. Whilst I understand your explanation for not upping the price sometimes it works in reverse, ie people think that for £2 / £2.50 it won't be much more than a pamphlet. I'd stick it up to £3 immediately (with hindsight it might have been better to do this instead of the rise to £2.50). Maximise the impact of whatever 'inside' information you have and don't dilute the effect by putting too much on the site. I really think that match reports should be in the fanzine with just a taster on the site. By writing a full match report for the site you are giving your talent away.

If you produced, say, 3 more issues per season I don't believe your volume per issue would drop significantly, provided the quality did not suffer, thereby increasing the profits.

I'm guessing that for everyone who uses this site you can get frequency of use info together with a valid email address. I've never received an email detailing anything available from the shop, and I've never bought anything from the shop. Coincidence? On the stock front, I feel that the concept is good but many of the captions are spoilt by the use of the same 'comedy' font.

Every successful / sound business concept has its bad patches. I would concentrate on and enhance the aspects that make TLW unique (particularly with the end of TTWAR) and certainly not let it go without a fight. Fortune favours the brave!

What has this got to do with you? Who are you? errmmmm Yep like everybody else an internet nobody.

Actually not. On here maybe, as for on the internet, no, look up RFC, look up the meaning. I do some of those, by being on the boards there. Now run along.