You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That "red card"

kop

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is Essien was booked early ( first player to be booked if i remember correctly ) it appeared he got booked again. If this is true then this is the second best fuck up of the day Stiles made behind the (in inverted commas) penalty.

There must be a hard working honest championship referee who warrants a call tonight to say here's your chance, grab the bull by the horns and make the most of it. Here's your big deserved break. And Stiles is not fit to referee anything. Burn the bastard.

All I know is Essien was booked early ( first player to be booked if i remember correctly ) it appeared he got booked again. If this is true then this is the second best fuck up of the day Stiles made behind the (in inverted commas) penalty.

Only a small thing, but why didn't you just use inverted commas?

During the game the commentator said the fourth official had told Geoff Shreeves that Styles had said that he showed the yellow to Terry.

Tv evidence clearly shows he gave Terry a yellow then 30 secs later gives the yellow to Essien for moaning about Liverpool getting a free kick.

You only have to look at Essiens reaction to see he had been carded but Styles just hadnt got a clue.

No doubt that soft cunt Jeff Winter will be on Sky sports news saying how bad a decision it was but fuck all will happen.

Say what you like about Poll but at least he could handle these big games.

That's actually true. I remember us playing against the Mancs a few years back. There were a couple of rough tackles in the early minutes, but he just warned the players and the game ended with no bookings at all.

I am absolutely convinced Styles booked Essien twice and that they both knew it.

As it went on, Essien had hung around before leaving the pitch and as Styles dealt with their whingeing. He also knew Essien was still there. As it continued and Styles didn't chase him, you could see Essien start to think; "I'm away with this here cos of all this mayhem" and fuck back off into position.

He'd completely lost it by then, that ref, and his arse had gone.

He needs comical Ali or Bagdad Bob or whatever he's called, to do the talking for him if he wants to pass through his suggestions that the card showed to Essien was meant for Terry.

What do the papers say in England today? Are they all over it, or are they shoving it under the russian carpet?

I havent seen the game or incident back yet but im convinced he booked Terry (as in waved a card at him) shortly before the Essien incident because we all cheered and I said 'finally' to my mate, then there was a bit of a lull after Terry trotted off and I think Essien and Ashley Cole were talking to the ref, at this point he waved the card at Essien

Can anyone who has sky+'d the game replay the incident and see if he did wave the card at Terry in the first instance? if that is the case he's definitely lying

either way, lets not dwell on it, we were better than them yesterday, we'll do alright this year

I havent seen the game or incident back yet but im convinced he booked Terry (as in waved a card at him) shortly before the Essien incident because we all cheered and I said 'finally' to my mate, then there was a bit of a lull after Terry trotted off and I think Essien and Ashley Cole were talking to the ref, at this point he waved the card at Essien

Can anyone who has sky+'d the game replay the incident and see if he did wave the card at Terry in the first instance? if that is the case he's definitely lying

either way, lets not dwell on it, we were better than them yesterday, we'll do alright this year

He did show the card twice - once to Mongo Terry, and then later when Essien was arsing about (on his own - no chance for mistaken identity) in front of him.

I looked at that this morning. He raises the card to Terry, puts it down then raises it again while Essien is talking to him. HOWEVER he then points at Terry as if to say it was meant for him.

I think he was just stupid and raised it at Terry twice instead of once. Either way it still creates confusion and is a perfect example of shit refereeing.

As for the penalty....:notamused:

I looked at that this morning. He raises the card to Terry, puts it down then raises it again while Essien is talking to him. HOWEVER he then points at Terry as if to say it was meant for him.

I think he was just stupid and raised it at Terry twice instead of once. Either way it still creates confusion and is a perfect example of shit refereeing.

As for the penalty....:notamused:

That is correct. He must have forgotton that he had already waived the card once and did it again whist pointing in the general direction of Terry.

I imagine it is quite easy to get confused in the heat of the game and I can perhaps forgive this error.

The pen is another matter and he must have been the only person in anfield who thought it was a foul. Bad judgement is not a mistake it is a symptom of a poor referee.

But, why did Terry get a yellow in that decision? It was Ben Haim that stopped Torres with obstructing him, and he was stressed when Styles blew the whistle. It should've been a yellow to Ben Haim, and he should've been sent off!

The yellow was not for the tussle with Torres. He did not blow up for this incident he allowed the game to continue. Terry stormed over to Torres to have a go and calll him a cheat. The ref blew for this and gave us the free kick. Terry was booked.

From BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6954211.stm

Styles looked like he had given Essien a second yellow card but then explained it was meant for John Terry.

After the game Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho said: "Michael was honestly very frightened, he thought he had been booked again.

"The referee then explained that he had only booked one player, John Terry, but Essien stood there for a long time and he said afterwards that he believed he had been cautioned again."

The incident happened shortly after Styles had awarded Chelsea their penalty, which Frank Lampard converted to level the scores after Fernando Torres put Liverpool in front with a goal on his home debut.

Former Premier League referee Graham Poll told BBC Radio 5live that Styles did not book Essien twice but that his award of a card to Terry looked "messy".

"At the first look I definitely thought he had booked Essien a second time," said Poll.

"Having looked I can see that as Rob raises the yellow card he points over to John Terry and says that it is John he has cautioned.

Even Essien and Mourinho thought he'd been booked again.

It also says Styles is banned for next round.