You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool V Portsmouth Match Thread

fivetimes

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not a fan of pennant, but i thought he did really well. nobody stands out for left mid yet, although i'd like to see babel given more of a go there.

The point I would make is that to win the league we should have wide players in now who would give Pennant and Kewell a hell of a run for their money and probably relegate them to the bench. Unfortunately Babel and Benayoun are nowhere near to that and that's where we will lose the league.

Guest TK-421
The point I would make is that to win the league we should have wide players in now who would give Pennant and Kewell a hell of a run for their money and probably relegate them to the bench.

You have made that point, several times over. Go and clean up your act yer toe-rag.

Guest Jay W
So on todays performance who would you pick as your two wide players for the Villa game?

Kewell was probrably the most dangerous threat down the flanks. Pennant was decent. Benayoun has never looked comfortable down the right hand side and Babel looks lost, which you can allow for considering.

It'll more than likely be Gerrard and Kewell anyway.

The point I would make is that to win the league we should have wide players in now who would give Pennant and Kewell a hell of a run for their money and probably relegate them to the bench. Unfortunately Babel and Benayoun are nowhere near to that and that's where we will lose the league.

I would certainly agree we'd be unlikely to win the league with kewell and pennant in the side every week. i can still see gerrard playing a share of games on the right and i'm not quite willing to write babel off just yet.

I would certainly agree we'd be unlikely to win the league with kewell and pennant in the side every week. i can still see gerrard playing a share of games on the right and i'm not quite willing to write babel off just yet.

Babel is exactly the type of play I wanted us to sigm but for the long term with a season or so so bed it. However, we need something more than that to challenge for the league. Not all roads lead to Quaresma but I'd have taken Mancini or even Simao to help add that little but of quality on the wing.

Babel is exactly the type of play I wanted us to sigm but for the long term with a season or so so bed it. However, we need something more than that to challenge for the league. Not all roads lead to Quaresma but I'd have taken Mancini or even Simao to help add that little but of quality on the wing.

To be honest I know very little about all of them, in so much as I don't follow the leagues they play in, so only know from international, Champions League and the odd flash on eurogoals. However, the little I have seen, I've seen nothing to suggests they'd be better able to cope with the demands of a Premiership season than Babel. We did need quality in wide areas, I thought at the end of last season it was going to be incredibly difficult to find an it's proved to be the case - only time will tell if Babel can add it, but it's far too early to write him off.

Kewell was probrably the most dangerous threat down the flanks. Pennant was decent. Benayoun has never looked comfortable down the right hand side and Babel looks lost, which you can allow for considering.

It'll more than likely be Gerrard and Kewell anyway.

Have to disagree with you there mate JP had outstanding game today put Kuyt through gave him free header to also had couple of good free kicks.Kewell was ok but what did he acctually do? he got brought down couple of times when there was run on,but when was last time Kewell beat people and put decent cross in?

To be honest I know very little about all of them, in so much as I don't follow the leagues they play in, so only know from international, Champions League and the odd flash on eurogoals. However, the little I have seen, I've seen nothing to suggests they'd be better able to cope with the demands of a Premiership season than Babel. We did need quality in wide areas, I thought at the end of last season it was going to be incredibly difficult to find an it's proved to be the case - only time will tell if Babel can add it, but it's far too early to write him off.

I am not writing him off but Babel is probably a bit like Man United's Nani - a raw young talent who is already an international. Not quite ready for a regular first team place but ready to learn off a seasoned pro. Nani has Giggs, Babel only really has Kewell to learn the tricks on the wing from. The other big difference is that Nani likes to play left wing and Babel sees himself as a striker.

There aren't that many wingers around so Quaresma, Ribery, Mancini, Simao etc are the closest you are going to get to buying proven wide players.

Cheer up folks it´s preseason yet, save the doom and gloom for our league opener....:whistle:

Momo was bos today, great energy, strong in tackle, good passing and pretty good skilla as well!! Just needs to work on his shooting now:thumbup:

Torres were unlucky but looks class..... He should be paired with a world class poacher up front though, as I have my doubts Kuyt and Crouch are up for the job...

Wingers for opening day can only be Kewell and Pennant based on this and the previous display... Pennant was very good today and if he can produce this kind of performance every week he will have a great season...

Benayoun seems a decent replacement for Garcia, and Babel needs to find his feet quickly as we do not have the luxery of time to wait to long. He reminded me a bit of Cisse without the pace today, but he seems tired so I choose to blame Paco...

And Reina proved once more that he is a great goalkeeper....

I am not writing him off but Babel is probably a bit like Man United's Nani - a raw young talent who is already an international. Not quite ready for a regular first team place but ready to learn off a seasoned pro. Nani has Giggs, Babel only really has Kewell to learn the tricks on the wing from. The other big difference is that Nani likes to play left wing and Babel sees himself as a striker.

There aren't that many wingers around so Quaresma, Ribery, Mancini, Simao etc are the closest you are going to get to buying proven wide players.

But not proven in the prem so may have taken 4/6/9 months to settle.

I thought he showed great pace, great wort ethic so when he knows and understands how Rafa wants him to play, you will start to get more out of him. Give the lad a break.

Pennant was quality today and I hope he gets his head down and works like that in every game.

Momo was bloody immense today.

Lets see how they start to play in the Amsterdam tournie with not too humid weather.

The other big difference is that Nani likes to play left wing and Babel sees himself as a striker.

He might see himself as a striker because it's fairly obvious he is a striker. The trouble is he's another who likes to drop-off, and we're overloaded in that dept.

But not proven in the prem so may have taken 4/6/9 months to settle.

I thought he showed great pace, great wort ethic so when he knows and understands how Rafa wants him to play, you will start to get more out of him. Give the lad a break.

Pennant was quality today and I hope he gets his head down and works like that in every game.

Momo was bloody immense today.

Lets see how they start to play in the Amsterdam tournie with not too humid weather.

For the 19th time, I'd still buy Babel no matter which winger we bought. I love us signing top young players of the future. I know what you mean about not being proven in the Premiership but Quaresma for example has had top performances against Newcastle, Chelsea and Arsenal in the past 2 years. Simao was ace against us and United and so on... I think they can cut it given the chance although Simao does look more of the light weight of that bunch.

He might see himself as a striker because it's fairly obvious he is a striker. The trouble is he's another who likes to drop-off, and we're overloaded in that dept.

Exactly! The same can be said of Benayoun and I thought this summer was about buying top class wingers. That's the only point I am making.

Exactly! The same can be said of Benayoun and I thought this summer was about buying top class wingers. That's the only point I am making.

Over and over and over and over in every fucking thread.

You can't buy a player with 14 caps in the dutch squad 'for the future'.

Over and over and over and over in every fucking thread.

You can't buy a player with 14 caps in the dutch squad 'for the future'.

Even if I tried Cardie I couldn't possible keep up with you in the annoying league. But I run you close!! Nani has 14 caps for Portugal and I bet you my last penny he is seen as one for the future by Fergie. Besides international caps have fuck all to do with it especially looking at the caps handed out by Holland in the past few years.

Besides international caps have fuck all to do with it especially looking at the caps handed out by Holland in the past few years.

You're right, I mean with the Euro Championships coming up I bet their are loads of players looking to move to clubs as bit part players especially ones who are now regular fixtures in a national squad and has been praised to the heavens by their international manager.

You're right, I mean with the Euro Championships coming up I bet their are loads of players looking to move to clubs as bit part players especially ones who are now regular fixtures in a national squad and has been praised to the heavens by their international manager.

I am not saying Babel will be a bit part player, listen carefully honey... I am saying Babel is NOT the out and out winger we craved only a few months ago. Now as for being a striker or a player in behind that's a different issue.