You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Beckham's off

Slam Daniels

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is of to LA Galxy 500k a week nearly. That is some big money.

He'll be getting fuck all in money compared to what he was on at Real.

MLS doesn't have that type of cash to be flouting around. It's a career move to boost his image in America, no more no less.

I'll have to get down to FC Toronto matches to sing the Posh Spice song the fucking manc cunt.

I reckon he'll be on close to 250K USD per year.

Viva Chivas USA! Kill Beckham! Spunk on Posh with Mexican Migrant Workers! Death to MetroSexualism!

He'll be getting fuck all in money compared to what he was on at Real.

MLS doesn't have that type of cash to be flouting around. It's a career move to boost his image in America, no more no less.

I'll have to get down to FC Toronto matches to sing the Posh Spice song the fucking manc cunt.

I reckon he'll be on close to 250K USD per year.

Viva Chivas USA! Kill Beckham! Spunk on Posh with Mexican Migrant Workers! Death to MetroSexualism!

On the beeb site it has him agreeing a 5 year deal work 128m which is about 500k a week

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6248835.stm

English Linebacker joins Galaxy

MLS | L.A. Galaxy

by Les Willis 11 January 2007

Middle Linebacker from London, England David Beck-ham will be joining the MLS Soccerball team L.A. Galaxy.

Although not famous here yet, he's famous in Europe for his Goal Strikes from offensive set plays. Also great at making lineside plays, he'll be a great addition to the MLS.

He's spent the past two semesters playing for Soccer Madrid in Spain, Europe but now he's heading down to the Sunset Strip along with his famous wife singer Victoria Spice.

He was controversially Red marked and sent from the field of play to the red zone in the 1998 Soccer World Cup for a contact infringement against an Argentinian player.

MLS Soccer expert Spunk Halberg has said of the $250m deal:

"What David will bring to the MLS is prestige, hair cream and great lateral play action in the End Zone."

:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A18815547

There's no fucking way he's on 500k a week.

No fucking chance as MLS has no tv money to speak of, no gate receipts and no replica sales.

MLS average attendance is between 14-17000 per game. There is also a salary cap per team.

The LA Galaxy (snicker) do, however, usually MLS in attendance comiong in around 21-24 000 depending on the year.

Even if they are trying to do a New York Cosmos the numbers don;t add up as the Home Depot Center doesn;t hold what Giants Stadium did in the Cosmos hayday (77 000).

They recently changed their rules on salary caps. This is from CNN;

LONDON (AP) -- David Beckham agreed to a five-year deal with the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer, leaving the Real Madrid club at which he enjoyed worldwide popularity but experienced disappointment on the field.

Beckham, the former English captain who also starred for Manchester United, will join the Galaxy after his contract with Real Madrid expires on June 30. Los Angeles opens its season April 8 in Houston.

"I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own," he said in a statement released Thursday.

The move was announced following the end of talks on extending the 31-year-old English midfielder's contract with the Spanish club. MLS recently changed its rules on salary caps, clearing the way for Beckham to sign a lucrative deal. British news reports put the Galaxy deal at $250 million.

"This week, Real Madrid asked me to make a decision regarding my future and the offer to extend my contract by a further two seasons," Beckham said in the statement. "After discussing several options with my family and advisers to either stay here at Madrid or join other major British and European clubs, I have decided to join the Los Angeles Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year."

Beckham has soccer academies in London and Los Angeles. His wife Victoria, a former Spice Girl, was recently photographed househunting in Los Angeles.

"David Beckham will have a greater impact on soccer in America than any athlete has ever had on a sport globally," said Timothy J. Leiweke, president & CEO of Anschutz Entertainment Group, which owns the Galaxy. "David is truly the only individual that can build the bridge between soccer in America and the rest of the world."

Beckham joined Real Madrid in 2003 after a hugely successful run with Manchester United, where he won six league titles, two FA Cups and the Champions League title. But Beckham did not win a single major trophy with the Spanish club, and his spell coincided with Madrid's worst slump since the early 1950s.

Real Madrid has had six different coaches and three club presidents during Beckham's stay, but the club has made a fortune -- in part because of the star's position as a cultural icon for soccer fans and non-fans alike, including men, women and children of different ethnic and racial groups.

Beckham's Career Path

Years Club Country

1993-95 Manchester United England

1995 Preston North End* England

1995-03 Manchester United England

2003-07 Real Madrid Spain

2007-?? Los Angeles Galaxy U.S.

* On loan

His marketability was emphasized by the hit movie "Bend It Like Beckham," even as his skills deteriorated with age.

Beckham's contract included a clause in which half his image rights would go to Real Madrid. That helped earn the club millions, allowing the Spanish team to overtake Manchester United as the biggest earner in world soccer.

Beckham led England to the quarterfinals of the World Cup last summer, scoring from a free kick in the second round to beat Ecuador 1-0. But he was taken off the field early in the second half against Portugal with ankle and Achilles tendon injuries, and then watched as his team was eliminated in a penalty shootout.

A day after the game, Beckham stepped down as captain of the team -- a post he had held for 58 of his 94 international appearances. Then, on Aug. 11, England coach Steve McClaren dropped Beckham from the team altogether, signaling the end of his international career.

If its true then its a fucking joke.

Half the teams play on 'pitches' with gridiron markings with the goals sitting in a painted endzone.

It's the equvalent of Beckham playing League 1 and making 500k a week. The Americans will eat it up for a coulpe of months and then move on to what country Angela and Brad are going to adopt from next or the next pic of Brittney with her gash hanging out.

I think we need to go on Chivas USA sites and educate their fans on the chanting Posh takes it up the arse.

It'll all end in tears just like the NASL.

BBC news has just said he is on a million dollars a wk over 5 yrs. Thats fucking crazy money, i dare say there wont be that many basketball players on that sort of money.

He will be shit anyway, every fucker knows he is only going there to be seen with tom cruise and give the MLS some much needed prestige.

The man is a greedy money grabbing cunt of the highest order.

BBC news has just said he is on a million dollars a wk over 5 yrs. Thats fucking crazy money, i dare say there wont be that many basketball players on that sort of money.

He will be shit anyway, every fucker knows he is only going there to be seen with tom cruise and give the MLS some much needed prestige.

The man is a greedy money grabbing cunt of the highest order.

It pains me to defend that fuckmuppet, but if I was fast approaching 32 and had already won a shit load of medals, played in finals etc I'd take all the money some daft American threw at me too. Especially if the alternative was playing for Bolton or Everton.

David Beckham and all that surrounds him so annoys me

I listen to breakfast on 5live as I wake up in the morning - God knows why as Nicky Campbell must be the most annoying person on the radio and he was heard to decribe Beckham as a 'beautiful person' today - whats that all about!!! - this was after the previous day making countless unfunny jokes at LFCs expense following the 3-6. Shelagh Fogarty his fellow presenter is supposed to be a LFC fan and yet she lets him get away with - I'd punch him.

Now I hear Beckham is going to USA on God knows how much money and he says its not for the money - my God!! He says he wants to develop the team - LA Galaxy is it - do me a favour!! Then people talk about how media savvy he is - truth is that the lad is thick and totally shallow for Gods sake. And he isn't even particularly good at football. Not any more anyway and hasn't been for about 5 years. The circus which surrounds him and his wife is nothing short of disgusting and represents much of what is wrong about the game IMO - and yet he gets little or no criticism in the media worth talking about - either he must have a lot of mates working in it or they are all totally blind to the truth. Or a bit of both.

Compare him and Dirk who gives all the proceeds from his merchandise sale to the Dirk Kuyt foundation which puts money into inner city Dutch towns and the needy in places like Nepal - then tell me who is the greater celeb. Rant over. I rest my case.

David Beckham and all that surrounds him so annoys me

I listen to breakfast on 5live as I wake up in the morning - God knows why as Nicky Campbell must be the most annoying person on the radio and he was heard to decribe Beckham as a 'beautiful person' today - whats that all about!!! - this was after the previous day making countless unfunny jokes at LFCs expense following the 3-6. Shelagh Fogarty his fellow presenter is supposed to be a LFC fan and yet she lets him get away with - I'd punch him.

Now I hear Beckham is going to USA on God knows how much money and he says its not for the money - my God!! He says he wants to develop the team - LA Galaxy is it - do me a favour!! Then people talk about how media savvy he is - truth is that the lad is thick and totally shallow for Gods sake. And he isn't even particularly good at football. Not any more anyway and hasn't been for about 5 years. The circus which surrounds him and his wife is nothing short of disgusting and represents much of what is wrong about the game IMO - and yet he gets little or no criticism in the media worth talking about - either he must have a lot of mates working in it or they are all totally blind to the truth. Or a bit of both.

Compare him and Dirk who gives all the proceeds from his merchandise sale to the Dirk Kuyt foundation which puts money into inner city Dutch towns and the needy in places like Nepal - then tell me who is the greater celeb. Rant over. I rest my case.

I completely agree. He care's more about his appearance and profile than he does his football. Everything the lad does has the media in mind. Those crocodile tears by the side of the pitch in the WC 1/4 finals spring to mind.

He was never near the best player at any club he's ever been at let alone best player in the world. It's staggering how a lot of people seemed to have been conned into believing that he was ever a world class player.