You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

With Zenden out, who gets the other CM spot?

wiiksie

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you made some good points Brodie, but I'd still play Carra there just because he's proved he could do a reasonable job in the past.

It doesn't always work out quite how you think it might, remember Gareth Southgate being asked to play CM under Keegan iirc and it was a disaster. Not that I'm comparing Rafa to cuddly Kev.

I know its not always quite as easy I made out, but a decent footballing center half who lacks pace, and a decent footballing holding midfielder that lacks pace are not that far apart. He would not be expected to do anything too spectacular. Just sit and protect the back 4, play it easy when he gets it and let the rest of the midfield do the attacking. Effectively playing 10-15 yards ahead of where he is normally. Didnt Rafa have some of our young center halfs playing in midfield in the ressies last season to improve their ability on the ball? He obviously doesnt see a huge difference in the positions.

As for Southgate, he was far inferior to Sami ability wise on the ball. And he was playing against Germany not a depleted Portsmouth team.

I just look at it and think moving Carra or Agger would weaken our defence, and as much as I love Carra, and recognise how much he has improved over the last few years, he is still nowhere near as comfortable on the ball as Sami, and certainly cant play a pass as well as him.

Suppose we will see tonight, and I'd prefer one of the ressies was upto the level required, but as they dont seem to be I reckon the Sami option is the best we've got.

Fair enough, I just worry because I haven't seen Sami play there before and don't want him to make a tit of himself. I think he's a good passer of the ball better than people give him credit for and he could probably do a job tonight.

Personally i think if no-one from the ressies makes the bench tonight then i think it shows just how much Rafa rates them.

Would like to think at least 1 is able to come in and get a place on the bench.

I agree but do think at least one will be on it - Guthrie looks a cert. He took no part in last nights game and unless he is carrying a knock, I reckon he will be on the bench.