You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Snobbery

Remmie

Most forms of snobbery is derided by the majority of people, but 1 form that seems to be happily perpetuated is intellectual snobbery. I find the people who feel the need to prove they are ever so smart to be the most irritating, boring and punchable cunts going. Yet it is positively encouraged, especially on here with arse licking over people who use long words.

Do you agree that it is the most accepted form of Snobbery?

Most forms of snobbery is derided by the majority of people, but 1 form that seems to be happily perpetuated is intellectual snobbery. I find the people who feel the need to prove they are ever so smart to be the most irritating, boring and punchable cunts going. Yet it is positively encouraged, especially on here with arse licking over people who use long words.

Indubatably.

I know what you are talking about but I think there is a distinct difference between using long words just to show off and using long words because you want to use a full and varied vocabulary.

I reckon that you'd probably put me in the bracket you are talking about with regards to the bands and books but obviously I don't see it that way. I think there is a certain pleasure in finding something that is new and not many people have heard about and that is probably one of the reasons why I'm into my new music. I also enjoy bringing that new music to others who might not have heard it; and I think there's a lot of things I've picked up from TLW that I would never have heard of otherwise.

What annoys me more than intellectual snobbery is the exact opposite of it where anyone who aspires to try and write more fluently and creatively than the norm is shot down as some sort of pretentious twat. Why do so many people feel it's so wrong to try and aim a bit higher? Give me someone like FarmersBoy over half the pointless drivel on the FF anyday.

Good thread Remmie.

I know what you are talking about but I think there is a distinct difference between using long words just to show off and using long words because you want to use a full and varied vocabulary.

I reckon that you'd probably put me in the bracket you are talking about with regards to the bands and books but obviously I don't see it that way. I think there is a certain pleasure in finding something that is new and not many people have heard about and that is probably one of the reasons why I'm into my new music. I also enjoy bringing that new music to others who might not have heard it; and I think there's a lot of things I've picked up from TLW that I would never have heard of otherwise.

What annoys me more than intellectual snobbery is the exact opposite of it where anyone who aspires to try and write more fluently and creatively than the norm is shot down as some sort of pretentious twat. Why do so many people feel it's so wrong to try and aim a bit higher? Give me someone like FarmersBoy over half the pointless drivel on the FF anyday.

Good thread Remmie.

You can be hit and miss Monty. Nothing wrong with new bands, just what cunts me off is obscurity for the sake of it.

Damn it I can't think of an example now but I do remember thinking how important it has seemed to you and Paul as well to be seen as intellectual- maybe trying too hard?

Anyway, speaking more generally, surely as someone who is smarter, one (used that word on purpose!) should be above Snobbery, but I think it's quite a common problem. Appropriately enough I can't articulate exactly what I mean. Stupid poetic justice.

PS Gotta love your tried and tested response to a thread you perceive as attacking you, with the "Good post at the end". I've seen you use that trick before!

You can be hit and miss Monty. Nothing wrong with new bands, just what cunts me off is obscurity for the sake of it.

Damn it I can't think of an example now but I do remember thinking how important it has seemed to you and Paul as well to be seen as intellectual- maybe trying too hard?

Anyway, speaking more generally, surely as someone who is smarter, one (used thjat word on purpose!) should be above Snobbery, but I think it's quite a common problem. Appropriately enough I can't articulate exactly what I mean here. Stupid poetic justice

I can see how it might come across that way but I'm not actually trying to come across as intellectual. I'm not a genius but I know I'm pretty bright, but that puts me in a bracket with a hell of a lot of other people on the GF (The FF has an average IQ of about -12 so that's a different proposition), so I don't think I'm smarter than most people and it's not something I'd set out to prove.

On the other hand I do like to dally in "intellectual" subjects and I reckon there's quite a few on the GF who also do. Sometimes I want to act like a prick and wind people up a bit, sometimes I want to piss around with childish in-jokes and sometimes I want to discuss the nature of the human condition; surely that's my perogative and what the GF is tailor made for?

On the obscurity thing - I never bang on about shite obscure bands, it's the quality that I like more than the obscurity; and as I said to Chris a few days ago I'm into loads of pretty un-obscure stuff.

What is snobbery, Remmie? Does abuseing chavs count?

Remmie, you're an angry kid. If you think I'm a snob, I can't help that, but I haven't got a snobbish bone in my body. I've got nothing to prove and certainly don't "try too hard" when I'm writing. I love words and language (it's my fucking job, after all) and I'm not going to apologise for it. I write in a similar way to how I speak: a mix of "long words" (what the fuck?), swearing, regular slang and self-deprecating hip-hop talk. I'm not sure where my rep for being a twat with words came from. I think I once posted a rant about apostrophes, but I almost never comment on other people's use of language except when they pick holes in mine over a typo or something gay. The thing I love about our language is the precision it allows in communication. That's why I think smilies are completely superfluous.

Music and books - don't think that applies to me. I like all sorts, but classic or "intellectual" literature is emphatically not on the list; bores the arse off me. The fact that I'm into hip hop and soul and not many other people are is hardly my fault. I've been into it since I was a kid. I also like most other genres of music. I just don't hear too many new things I like - especially in the "rawk" category. As a fan of Abba, Wham! and the Guys and Dolls soundtrack, I don't think the snob label can be applied to me. I just like what I like.

As for intelligence, it's a quality I admire, but it's hardly top of the list. I admire qualities such as honesty, generosity and kindness far more than something innate such as brain-power. There are loads of people on here with brains that surpass mine - including their use of language and words. The likes of NP, The Count, RoboRiise, Johnb and many more I can't be arsed trawling through are superb with words.

I think you're a bit of prick for having a pop really. But maybe it's part of a "cool, angry kid" persona, like the other tit on the FF used the other day. I try to be friendly and polite with everyone on here, bar the odd lidder, so I'm not sure what your problem is - other than an excessive use of aggression and lack of manners.

I'm disappointed, to be honest, as I like reading a lot of your stuff - especially the more thoughtful and less angry stuff you've been posting of late. Oh well, I'll survive.

Haha, gotta love winding up the 2 nicest guys on the forum.

You've both taken every point I've raised personally, which is not intended, nor the case. I understand how that has happened, so I'm going to do a 1st and apologise. Apologies. Now fuck off and get aids!

You both are who you are so don't change, just like me and I'm a cunt!

Or mention a book or band that they know no one else will have heard so they can sound cultured and deep

Sounds like you're insecure.

You've both taken every point I've raised personally, which is not intended, nor the case. I understand how that has happened, so I'm going to do a 1st and apologise. Apologies. Now fuck off and get aids!

I did, yes. Apology appreciated - cheers.

On the words thing though, you've really had me thinking. I do rate myself with words - especially when writing - but I don't measure myself against others except in an inferior way. My signature could come across as arrogant, but it's actually intended to be a tribute to a writer whose talent I can only dream of reaching - as well as reflecting my passion for language.

One of my biggest regrets in life (and I'm not really someone who has a lot of them) is that I was a massive piss-takingly bad lazy arse at A-Level and completely fucked up my French and German ones (I pissed English, though). I have massive admiration for people who are bi-lingual, like so many people on here are. My sister has the family affinity for language (as do both my kids who were talking before they were 12 months old), but she grafted at school. Now I'm really envious of her ability to speak Spanish and French. People like Sangria and Red Nick know I share their passion for Spain and I'd love to have more than the embarrassing pigeon Spanish I get by with when we're there.

I've taken this off in a mad tangent, but it's your fault, Remmie, for getting me thinking about my use of words so much. I really do love them, I suppose. My admiration for a cracking turn of phrase is similar (although not as strong) to that I have for a great pass or a screamer of a goal.

On the snobbery thing, I certainly don't make the mistake of confusing intellect with educational opportunity, either. Loads of people seem to think grades and certificates make you bright. Utter shite. My old fella is one of the sharpest people I know and he had not a single academic qualification to his name until he retired and went to college to do an Art degree.

I am derisive of text speak, but not because of any perceived superiority; rather because I consider it lazy, ambiguous and also destructive of the English language. I work with almost exclusively poor kids with low academic attainment - and I love it. Many of their problems with behaviour stem from the fact that they simply don't have the linguistic ability to either understand or describe their own emotions. Giving them the tools to do so is fucking magic.

So, overly-sensitive and long-winded, I may be, but intellectual snob I emphatically am not.

*Phew*

Fuck off you cunt, I'm no nice guy.

Your post never actually wound me up as I'm already aware of the fact that other people may see me in ways I don't intend them to, I thought it was an interesting thing to debate; obviously not many other people did.

Winston Churchill had a way with words unlike any. And he was also a snob, born to see the Empire in all its glory and to see it fall.

Bill Shankly was also wonderful with words and one of his quotes (I'm sure Hermes or Steve can quote word for word) about using small words instead of long ones is the true test of intelligence.

Paul Tomkins gets a lot of abuse for overusing words; in my opinion rightfully so.

Anyone think FarmersBoy and Brennan are the same?