You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite Foreign Teams

Street Preacher

I dont know if anybody has asked this before,but i thought it'd be interesting to see if anyone has any foreign clubs they have a soft spot for.

I really liked dynamo kiev a few years ago when they were doing well in the champions league so i look out for their results now and again.

I also like Zenit St. Petersburg because all the big popular clubs seem to be the Moscow teams and thought i'd go the other way.

What is it with me and Eastern European clubs?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if anybody has asked this before,but i thought it'd be interesting to see if anyone has any foreign clubs they have a soft spot for.

I really liked dynamo kiev a few years ago when they were doing well in the champions league so i look out for their results now and again.

I also like Zenit St. Petersburg because all the big popular clubs seem to be the Moscow teams and thought i'd go the other way.

What is it with me and Eastern European clubs?

Mine is Athletic Bilbao for sentimental reasons. I bought their shirt off the internet last year with 10 Yeste on the back. Best £60 I ever spent. I always look out for their results. But I hated them the other day when they cost me £100 on my bet. Did 6 teams to win was waiting on Bilbao to beat Sevilla and they lost 1-0. I sometimes wear my shirt on matchdays in the hope of bumping in to the Sociedad fans that frequent some of our home games now to see what their reaction is!!!

Barcelona, watched Liverpool there once, been there for a tour before too and the Museum is absolutely superb, amazing place. No shirt sponsors, members own the club, elections every few years. Simply perfect in the way they play their football, the traditions, the alumni of Maradona, Romario, Stoichkov, Haji, Ronaldo, Rivaldo and now Ronaldhino. Just obvious really, everything Real Madrid isn't.

I have a soft spot for Monaco, due to when me and the missus went to the super cup, all the locals were quite friendly as was the driver of our car who picked us up from nice, he was a mad dude, made his day when he came to collect us from our hotel to go back to the airport and he saw me in the Monaco shirt, a big smile beamed across his face. going ah Monaco, you like, and all the way back to nice was cahtting happily about some great games he'd seen at the Stade Louis II, and wanted to know how Anfield compared.

Always liked Ajax, Milan and Barca.

Ajax in the early 70's were incredible. They just totally outplayed anybody they came up against. Cruyff, Neeskens, Krol, Rep.....what a team. I doubt if anybody has matched them as an attacking team in football history.

Ajax in the early 70's were incredible. They just totally outplayed anybody they came up against. Cruyff, Neeskens, Krol, Rep.....what a team. I doubt if anybody has matched them as an attacking team in football history.

Brazil! But the Barcelona team of Stoichkov and Romario were simply amazing in an attacking sense. Two players who hated eachother too! Remember when they beat United 4-0?

Also the Liverpool team of 1988 was an attacking team in the pure sense.

Brazil! But the Barcelona team of Stoichkov and Romario were simply amazing in an attacking sense. Two players who hated eachother too! Remember when they beat United 4-0?

Also the Liverpool team of 1988 was an attacking team in the pure sense.

I thought we were talking club sides? That Utd team was a bunch of reserves due to the nationality restrictions at the time. The 88' Liverpool team was the best I've seen for us, I think we scored 4 or more on more than 6 occassions that season in the league.

I thought we were talking club sides? That Utd team was a bunch of reserves due to the nationality restrictions at the time. The 88' Liverpool team was the best I've seen for us, I think we scored 4 or more on more than 6 occassions that season in the league.

Roy Evans teams could attack too. Pity about the defence.

Just quickly checked Liverweb. We did it 11 times in the league, Dave.

Just quickly checked Liverweb. We did it 11 times in the league, Dave.

"I think we scored 4 or more on more than 6 occassions that season in the league".

When I was at school 11 was more than 6- ;)

However, since I was at school I've forgotten how to spell "occasions".

I like Milan from their days of the three Dutchmen and the Baresi/Costacurta/Maldini defence. However, there's only really one foreign club for me: Barca - "More than a club".

I'd love us to be run on their model. Imagine if you could get all those people who turned up to see the European Cup parade to become members. £100 a year membership = £100m a year income before gates/TV/sponsorship are taken into account. But better than that would be the increased sense of belonging, knowing that you had a direct say in the running of Liverpool.

The grandest gesture David Moores could ever make would be to give the club to its members.