You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (H) - Sun 10th Mar 2024 (3:45pm)

9 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think most people would take a draw now. And while it would be a decent point, a win, we are properly in the driving seat. Just fucking win reds. 

While i agree that a draw isn’t a bad result, I don’t think City will be unhappy with a draw either, however, I don’t think we can think like that.

Our best performances against City are when we’ve gone for them from the off - the CL 3-0, the 3-1 league game, 3-2 at Wembley. Even the 4-3 league game had an impact element of blitzing them. I hope those performances are the standard we’re setting ourselves on Sunday - have the crowd baying for blood, players the same and go for the throat from the first minute. 

As for the side, assuming Konate is fit, I think Gomez at right back, Szoboszlai back in midfield and Mo, Nunez and Diaz up front. The rest picks itself. 

As against Chelsea and Man Utd, they did struggle with fast breaks against them. We need to be brave and not allow them to compact the entire game inside our centre circle D and 18 yard line. Even if that means being outnumbered at times, look to be aggressive with the press and look to hit the front 3 early. 

Just fucking win. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Salou said:

Let’s hope his form improves. I would feel much more comfortable defensively with Gomez there rather than Robertson. He just hasn’t looked right for a while, understandable since the injury but even pre-injury it wasn’t classic Robbo. 

I think robbo has been doing ok since he came back. And I think his experience of these games will be crucial, he gets in their faces and they absolutely hate that. I always think the start of success with city is knocking them out of their stride. They want and expect to control everything they can and robbo isn't one for letting them dictate on their terms. 

36 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

While i agree that a draw isn’t a bad result, I don’t think City will be unhappy with a draw either, however, I don’t think we can think like that.

Our best performances against City are when we’ve gone for them from the off - the CL 3-0, the 3-1 league game, 3-2 at Wembley. Even the 4-3 league game had an impact element of blitzing them. I hope those performances are the standard we’re setting ourselves on Sunday - have the crowd baying for blood, players the same and go for the throat from the first minute. 

As for the side, assuming Konate is fit, I think Gomez at right back, Szoboszlai back in midfield and Mo, Nunez and Diaz up front. The rest picks itself. 

As against Chelsea and Man Utd, they did struggle with fast breaks against them. We need to be brave and not allow them to compact the entire game inside our centre circle D and 18 yard line. Even if that means being outnumbered at times, look to be aggressive with the press and look to hit the front 3 early. 

Just fucking win. 

I don't disagree we are at our best when we go for them. And it's absolutely clear they can be got at, all season there's been tons of space in those wide defensive areas dropping the ball in behind them. Diaz, Nunez and Salah are all capable of exploiting that. And I think you're right, guardiola won't be too upset with a draw. He will see the games we have left and there are plenty of tough aways for us ahead to slip up. He'll want to stay close to us - I'm a really hoping it creates almost like of those guardiola over thinking it moments like he often has in the CL. 

As for the team, I think like in recent weeks, fitness will dictate a bit where we get people in. I don't know if Dom, Nunez and Salah have 90 in them and if they don't, I don't see all 3 starting. And if Bradley is training well, I'd have him at right back to start - but I do think he's starting to look a little tired, some of that early energy isn't quite there. That's to be expected and if he doesn't seem sharp, I'd go with Gomez. And if konate doesn't make it, Gomez starts regardless of if it's full back or centre back. 

• Upvote 1

Right now with the level of injuries we have, a draw isn't a bad result. A good par on a horrible hole. I hope we go for the win because going for the draw would be dangerous against the best club side in the world (I know cheating bastards) and ironically they struggle against pace and physicality. In fairness to Palace and Brentford, they always have a go against them and you can see they don't like it. They struggled against the basket case of Chelsea who have a bit of pace and power.

City and Arsenal have to play each other so hopefully they both drop points, but at the very least one of them will. We'll have a lot of players coming back in the coming weeks so we may be the freshest squad at the most unlikely time. All three teams have nasty games left - that's why I want West Ham and Villa going far in Europe. Equally, we want the Mancs needing something against Arsenal and having a chance of top 4 (5?) when they play.

If we win, I think we're strong favourites. Hopefully, it's one of the great Anfield days.

Changed my mind . Don't believe our injury luck is going to get any better. I say go for I shit or bust try and win it. A win puts them and Arsenal under so much pressure that pardon the pun we might limp to the end of the season and still win it. I believe everyone including ourselves is going to slip up . Would prefer to be ahead with no more head to heads with our two rivals. I don't think our defence can hold out home /home fans/ Darwin on fire lets blitz them . Not sure a draw does anything .

I’m not having this talk of a draw. We absolutely need to beat these, this is the moment. Thought Dom and Mo looked sharp last night and given minutes Gakpo and Elliot have done they’re both definite starters for me.

Kelleher, Bradley, Konate/Quansah, Virg, Robbo, Endo, Szobo, Mac, Mo, Darwin, Diaz.

Anfield needs to be an absolute cauldron. 100mph start and early lead and I think their heads will go. They and Baldy are genuinely terrified of Anfield and we need to play on that.

Biggest game of our modern history.

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I’m not having this talk of a draw. We absolutely need to beat these, this is the moment. Thought Dom and Mo looked sharp last night and given minutes Gakpo and Elliot have done they’re both definite starters for me.

Kelleher, Bradley, Konate/Quansah, Virg, Robbo, Endo, Szobo, Mac, Mo, Darwin, Diaz.

Anfield needs to be an absolute cauldron. 100mph start and early lead and I think their heads will go. They and Baldy are genuinely terrified of Anfield and we need to play on that.

Biggest game of our modern history.

It would be mad to not start Gomez with his recent form. 

• Upvote 1

Kelleher

Bradley  Konate/Quansah VVD  Gomez 

Endo

Szoboszlai     Mac Allister 

Salah            Nunez           Diaz

We need to win this to go all the way, no such thing as a "good point" at this stage. It'll turn on Darwin imo. He will get multiple chances; if he is clinical, we will win well. 

• Upvote 1

That Chelsea game gives us a good indicator in how we win this. Dom and Macca are going to have to be massive for us. Klopp always talks about cutting off passing lanes when we play them. If Dom and Macca can do that win the ball in the right areas and hit our front 3 early, then I like our chances.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Doubling down on absolute nonsense. 

Relax, you peasant, I know what the table says and I don't care that a draw is an ok result.

You play to win the game. Shoutout Herm Edwards. Go win the game and get the big advantage in the race. And if you lose, well you're probably not good enough anyway.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Relax, you peasant, I know what the table says and I don't care that a draw is an ok result.

You play to win the game. Shoutout Herm Edwards. Go win the game and get the big advantage in the race. And if you lose, well you're probably not good enough anyway.

Far easier to say I know what I meant but it came across wrong

However it can be done, we need to win. The best way is by hard work, skill, passion, less of the passive, indulgent knocking it around at the back, and scoring boss goals that bum these fuckers into next season. Do it Red Men!

• Upvote 1