You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Stepping down at the end of the season

dandyman

53 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Are people for real? He signed a contract until 2026. Not just him but his whole staff are going AS WELL.

Something clearly has happened behind the scenes.

Have you ever tried taking something at face value even once in your life?

Originally, he wasnt even going to extend past 2024 and when he did extend in a decision that felt very emotional off the back of an almost quadruple, we then had a season from hell, and he probably realized he didnt want to do this anymore.

You really dont have to search for a reason other than that. And the whole staff is attached to him at the hip, including Schmatdke, so theres no reason for them to stay. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Hes only announced it now so we can get a bigger banner than the one he had when he left Dortmund .

We're gonna need a bigger boat banner. 

10 minutes ago, Twisted wheel said:

Devastated! Best manager  of Liverpool ever! This is going to have dire results on the team and true fans.

Fuck off. Go back to whatever’s shit team you support’s forum. Wondered how long before some sad cunt posted haha!

Klopps mum passed away a few years ago and he couldn’t even go to her funeral because of covid. I don’t blame him for just wanting to go and live a nice quiet life for a while, but my word, I’m devastated. My heart is broken. 

• Upvote 2

All other things being equal, I think he'd have left sooner but for Abu Dhabi. He'd probably have had three or four titles by the fabled year 7, and he wouldn't have been so determined to try and beat the fuckers which caused him to sign that contract extension that took everyone by surprise. He might have realised that, in the long run, the house always wins. Either way, fuck them.

6 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Said he would not manage in England again. He is too honest to be a politician mate.

Dortmund in a year or two’s time, maybe? 

Would he be enthused by Real or Barcelona?

17 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

The backroom team and Schmadke all going seems really unusual to me unless a successor has already agreed to take over. 

Or am I reading this wrong?

Is it unusual?

Krawietz and Ljinders are his closest lieutenants (and effectively joint assistant managers even is Ljinders was the more public of the two) and along with Matos have all known each other and worked closely for a long time now.

Schmadtke was only ever a short term/rolling thing, the move was always linked with Klopps admiration for him, and his role was up to be discussed in March anyway with lots of people wanting a more long term appointment.

How often does an assistant manager stay at a club when a new manager is coming in?

13 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

If he told them in November that’s plenty of time to sound someone out, especially as we’re a massive draw and have the means, within reason, can get near pretty much anyone.

Im sad, but kind of excited as well.

A new first page after finishing a beautiful book.

I’m of the same thinking also.

if the club have known then they’ve had two months to sound out potential managers and start discussions with them.

This coming out now surely means we’re confident of a replacement - or it was about to leak. Klopp’s backroom staff also confirmed to be leaving at the same time might point to someone telling us they want their own team coming in, as you’d completely expect. 

Surely we can’t be that daft to have sat on this news and not done anything about it to ensure as smooth transition as possible and not panic. 

Saying that, I’m devastated Klopp is off. End of a fantastic chapter with some brilliant memories, operated on a shoe string budget at times. 

How lucky we are to have had him.

Whoever comes in has one hell of a job even to fill his shoes. 

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Dortmund in a year or two’s time, maybe? 

Would he be enthused by Real or Barcelona?

Cant see him at Real.  Too much of a cunt club.  Barca, perhaps.  He likes a challenge and to build a team up.  I'm taking him at his word that he won't manage again.  It eases the pain a little.  

Thank you Jurgen.  

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Is it unusual?

Krawietz and Ljinders are his closest lieutenants (and effectively joint assistant managers even is Ljinders was the more public of the two) and along with Matos have all known each other and worked closely for a long time now.

Schmadtke was only ever a short terms thing, the move was always linked with Klopps admiration for him, and his role was up to be discussed in March anyway with lots of people wanting a more long term appointment.

How often does an assistant manager stay at a club when a new manager is coming in?

As people have eluded the successor has probably already been found.

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

As people have eluded the successor has probably already been found.

Even if a successor hasn't been found yet it wouldn't be a strange move. In fact keeping them would make any search that much harder if you were imposing some of the most important positions in the back room team on a new manager.