You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Conor Bradley - Welcome to the Party

21 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Dom could play right wing, Trent right mid?

I thought the same thing.

Dom played out on the right a lot for Leipzig.

I don't think any of them would come close to scoring as many individually as Salah, but I feel like we might score more as a team with the three of them? 

35 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Dom could play right wing, Trent right mid?

So who out of the four forwards is Szoboszlai displacing up front? None of them is the answer.

Bradley has to play against Arsenal. Trent has to elevate his game when he gets another chance. He’s a right back, not a central midfielder. He could do what Bradley is doing if he could be arsed putting that kind of shift in in every game. That’s what he used to do!

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

So who out of the four forwards is Szoboszlai displacing up front? None of them is the answer.

Bradley has to play against Arsenal. Trent has to elevate his game when he gets another chance. He’s a right back, not a central midfielder. He could do what Bradley is doing if he could be arsed putting that kind of shift in in every game. That’s what he used to do!

Trent would be our best midfielder, if we just call him a midfielder. Just because he's not running around like a Yorkshire Terrier, doesn't mean he's shit. 

11 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Trent would be our best midfielder, if we just call him a midfielder. Just because he's not running around like a Yorkshire Terrier, doesn't mean he's shit. 

Mate, there’s no way Trent takes one of those midfield spots and presses as intensely and accurately as Macca, Curtis or Dom. Thats what we’re all about. 

I’d be keeping the same team on Sunday. 

• Upvote 3

Completely agree, from a starting 11 perspective Trent remains a right back and right now he’s one who while having done nothing wrong has to try and displace his replacement who’s got the shirt on merit right now.

Not disrespect but the guy is not a top midifelder. We knw that because he never has been one.

Could he become one? Maybe but the disrespect would be the idea that he would walk into the side ahead of genuine top class international players in that position and then to perform better is hopeful at best.

• Upvote 1

The solution is simple, sell Trent for £120m in the summer & Mr Henry can get a new boat.

Sorted.

In all seriousness, this is a nice headache for Klopp to have. Bradley looks an absolute monster in there although it's worth remembering how young he is and he will have ups and downs.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The only reason the Trent to midfield thing got started in earnest (after Klopp laughing the suggestion off for a couple seasons) was because he was stinking it out as the RB.

And because he came through the ranks as a midfielder, and because he was exposed by a poor midfield last season, and because we implemented a tactical switch to allow him to play an increasing role as part of the midfield unit to help fix the above issue.

I think short term Trent takes over at RB again and gets rotated further forward more with Bradley getting more minutes.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

The only reason the Trent to midfield thing got started in earnest (after Klopp laughing the suggestion off for a couple seasons) was because he was stinking it out as the RB.

That’s very true and what prompted me to start that ‘Trent Problem’ thread. The results are indisputable really, we’ve been re-energised somewhat. Well, a fair bit, we’re top of the league!

It’s hard to change the team for Arsenal. Bradley’s form should keep him in. 

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

That’s very true and what prompted me to start that ‘Trent Problem’ thread. The results are indisputable really, we’ve been re-energised somewhat. Well, a fair bit, we’re top of the league!

It’s hard to change the team for Arsenal. Bradley’s form should keep him in. 

We were top of the league when Trent got injured, weren't we?

12 minutes ago, Pidge said:

And because he came through the ranks as a midfielder,

What ranks - like U-16s? He has been an RB for all his senior career, so just the last 8 years or so.

Now we are veering into "natural position/true#6" territory.

Most young players who are that good play upfront or on the ball.

U18s at 16/17 and when he first played for the senior side on tours.

It's not "natural position" territory, it's "he's not a novice in the position".

And he's not just good on the ball for a right back, he's world class at it, regardless of positional comparisons 

14 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Bradley has to start Sunday the lad is playing out of his skin right now , Trent is going to have to play a waiting game for now .

Genuinely buzzing my tits off that this is actually a conversation we're having. 

Mad that we're talking about Trent of all people having to wait to come back into the team, before this season started I would have thought anyone suggesting such a thing has been sniffing glue. 

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

U18s at 16/17 and when he first played for the senior side on tours.

It's not "natural position" territory, it's "he's not a novice in the position".

And he's not just good on the ball for a right back, he's world class at it, regardless of positional comparisons 

He is world class with the ball in the positions a RB takes up in the space that comes with - not in the way a Xavi/Iniesta would be. Far different skills.

This is a good read.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/16/hed-go-off-sulking-the-story-behind-trent-alexander-arnolds-rise

Critchley:

“We used to conduct regular reviews with the players. I remember doing quite a few with Trent, sitting down with him and taking him through areas of improvement. When he plays at right-back, he’s got a range of technical attributes and the way he sees the game. He’ll pass the ball like a midfielder from right-back because he used to play in midfield. We thought that was going to be his position because we thought he was better when he saw the game in front of him.

“At right-back, you’re always moving forward, coming on to the ball. That was something we spoke long about. Many different opinions were shared – sometimes agreed, sometimes disagreed. In the end, it worked out well for him."

5 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Genuinely buzzing my tits off that this is actually a conversation we're having. 

Mad that we're talking about Trent of all people having to wait to come back into the team, before this season started I would have thought anyone suggesting such a thing has been sniffing glue. 

Don’t forget to add Gomez to the equation on both sides when Robbo comes back in.