You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

C Palace (A) - Sat 9th Dec 2023 (12:30pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

Another Saturday lunchtime kick-off. Either TNT Sports want all our live games and only have the Saturday lunchtime slot, or we are drawing the short straw. We don't play again until Thursday teatime in Belgium, in what is a nothing game for us, so we don't need to cosset our players with more recovery time between the two games. As it's the first of the weekend fixtures, we have a chance to go top of the league for a few hours at least if we grab a win. Palace have had a typically unremarkable season so far, and have one or two big injuries of their own. Doucoure is out for the season, and I think Eze might be missing for them too. He looks a very good player, as does Olise. I know they still have Edouard and Ayew as forward options, and I think the likes of Schlupp and Hakuna Mateta are still there, but I would have to look up their squad to see who's there.

Last season's fixture was a damp squib of a goalless draw. Vieira was still Palace manager, and the best chances all hit the woodwork. First Diogo with a far post header from the narrowest of angles. Then Mateta after Trent lost possession in our own box, and lastly Mo with a peach of an effort that deserved better. It was a bit like yesterday's game at Bramall Lane only without the finishes.

We're without Ali, Robbo, Thiago and Baj already, but Joel has been added to the injury list and is likely out for the season after rupturing his ACL against Fulham. I hope that is not his last game for us but as he's out of contract in the summer, it seems more than likely. A sad way for one of our 3 best free transfer signings to bow out if it is to be. And if it is, then I say a massive thank you to Big Bird for being an absolute stalwart for the last 8 years. He has been criminally under-rated in this country despite being one of the very best defenders during his time here, and he is so unintentionally hilarious off the pitch. Virg absolutely loves him and will miss him for sure. Mac could be a doubt for Palace after being in the wars against Sheffield United. Apparently the studs on the knee left a cut that gradually restricted his mobility as it kept opening up again. For the rest, the attackers in particular, we need to climb out of our stupor and put in a performance. Mo's decision making and effectiveness has diminished ever since the 200-goal milestone crept into view. He is miles better than he has been showing since the last international break. Motivation, concentration, attitude and application from first minute to last. No silliness. 3 points please. Get it done!

• Upvote 6

Injury problems starting to pile up, but so far we've got just enough to deal with it.  We need to keep that going.

Am I right in saying that the last time we went there in December we dry-bummed them 7-0?  I'd be happy with that again; actually, I'd be happy with any win.  Their small-time fans are noisy but boring & witless and their manager is an utter cunt.

Just get these beat, Reds.

10 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

It’s going to be a very tough one with the early kick off after a midweek away, but again, the sort of game we have to win if the expectation is to be in a title race.

Come through this and we can effectively take it one game a week before Arsenal and Man Utd since we only have Europa and Carabao fixtures midweek.

Europa is a dead rubber, so that's OK.

Carabao is a quarter final of a trophy that's there for the winning; a trophy we've made our own.  We can't afford too much rotation on that one.

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Injury problems starting to pile up, but so far we've got just enough to deal with it.  We need to keep that going.

Am I right in saying that the last time we went there in December we dry-bummed them 7-0?  I'd be happy with that again; actually, I'd be happy with any win.  Their small-time fans are noisy but boring & witless and their manager is an utter cunt.

Just get these beat, Reds.

We went top, didn’t we , but then we could not win a game home for years it seemed ….

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, sir roger said:

My worry is the Europa game , Jurgen will definitely go stronger than we need to. 

Having said that I would have Jay Spearing and Linda Henry in midfield, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

I am available to play as well. I can play in any position. No job too big no job too small.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, sir roger said:

My worry is the Europa game , Jurgen will definitely go stronger than we need to. 

I’ve thought this as well. IMO, nobody who is starting v the mancs should travel to Belgium. If that means Chambers, Bradley, McConnell, Doak, Gordon, Scanlon, Clarke etc all start, then so be it. 

I’ll worry about that more around 3pm on Saturday though. 

7 minutes ago, stringvest said:

We do need a midfield in this game, and Harvey needs to look more like a grown up first team player than an energetic pup if he is to convince as a starter.  Endo deserves a start.  

Agree, I thought he was out best player at Sheff Utd. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, stringvest said:

He was, but he's a defensive midfielder, so his qualities are less obvious. 

Seen people online using the booking as an example of a lack of pace. Like, who saw that and didn't 100% know he did that on purpose to stop play after the pen shout.

He knows his game and knows what he's doing. Would definitely play him on Saturday.

15 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Seen people online using the booking as an example of a lack of pace. Like, who saw that and didn't 100% know he did that on purpose to stop play after the pen shout.

He knows his game and knows what he's doing. Would definitely play him on Saturday.

Like Milner, he’s always a good bet for 1st yellow card !!!

Personally, that doesn’t bother me at all. We need to be bigger shit houses IMO.