You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (A) - Sun 8th Oct 2023 (2:00pm)

Trumo

4 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'm going to say something that I think is going to get me negged, but fuck it. 

I think Macallister is way too slow for the style of play klopp wants us to play. 

Maybe I'm knee jerking, because today he was absolutely awful. 

I agree totally,  he's small, slow and weak and let's be honest he's  been fucking shit so far. I just can't  understand  why Klopp  keeps persisting with him in that role.

9 minutes ago, derykw said:

I agree totally,  he's small, slow and weak and let's be honest he's  been fucking shit so far. I just can't  understand  why Klopp  keeps persisting with him in that role.

This was my issue with signing him, but all that seemed to vanish when Endo came in.  Not sure why Endo isn't getting the DM nod.  

MacAllister will be great in one of the other 2 midfield slots. 

The thing is intelligence. So long as there's intelligence in our play I can forgive a lot. There was little intelligence evident in that performance. Idiotic attempts to play out from the back, which then got even worse as if to defy the logic of the previous experience, and some stupid shots way over the bar when there were all kinds of good passes still on to feet, endless 'nah better not' passes all the way back to Alisson from deep in their half, and the usual obsession with feeding Mo in a position on the right when unless he's got sight of goal you may as well pass it to a random cat. You can be physically and mentally tired, but there's no need to embrace this kind of intellectual torpor for 90 odd minutes. 

27 minutes ago, bossy said:

Hitting the bar instead of scoring aside, I like Gravenberch. Very athletic, telescopic legs and finds good positions in the box. I think he’s going to be a goodun. 

Carries the ball well too, which is handy and he looks to make things happen, at moment early doors the radar isn't quite right but that will come - he'll be a serious player for us in my view as he develops.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, dave u said:

Hey, don't blame me. I went over the trench and was ready to go to war after listening to the players and their "us against the world" speeches. Then I looked behind and they were all sat there going "nah you're ok lad, we'll stay here where it's safe".

If the players were as motivated as I was then we'd have smashed Brighton today.

We aren't as good as we think we are though. We've still not managed to put a decent 90 minute performance together this season

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

We aren't as good as we think we are though. We've still not managed to put a decent 90 minute performance together this season

I dont think anyone thinks we are the finished article, but we are better than we were last season. The Oil Cheats lost again today, and Arsenal are fuck all. Its all to play for.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, redinblack said:

I dont think anyone thinks we are the finished article, but we are better than we were last season. The Oil Cheats lost again today, and Arsenal are fuck all. Its all to play for.

The squad is better & younger than last season but we still have the same defenders making the same piss poor mistakes time & time again.  Nothing will change until we overhaul the defence and stop the lethergy. BTW Arsenal are much better than us

4 minutes ago, redinblack said:

Well, it is if we're seriously better in our attitude. Christ knows what Pep spends the week doing with our players, beyond filming rondoes and showing them old Peanuts cartoons. 

Surely they see videos? If they see videos -  player on the left touchline, marked out of play, player on the right, marked out of play, player in the middle, two options ahead of him, one already being closed down, the other already closed down, and the keeper passes to said middle player regardless, then looks stunned when they lose the ball - WHAT THE FUCK DID HE THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN??? I'd just love to hear the explanation. The plausible explanation. Then at least I could sympathise. And I like to sympathise. But I can't sympathise when I watch it, all options shut down, and yet we still keep at it, from the back, into unerring failure.

6 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

The squad is better & younger than last season but we still have the same defenders making the same piss poor mistakes time & time again.  Nothing will change until we overhaul the defence and stop the lethergy. BTW Arsenal are much better than us

No they arent

We've also had 5 away games to only 3 at home. Next 4 is 3 at home! To be only 3 points off top having Chelsea spurs Brighton Newcastle and wolves, who beat City, away, is great. Add in the cunting officials fucking us and it's a wonder we're only3 off top.

Glass 3/4s full maybe.

• Upvote 9

9 minutes ago, niallers said:

We've also had 5 away games to only 3 at home. Next 4 is 3 at home! To be only 3 points off top having Chelsea spurs Brighton Newcastle and wolves, who beat City, away, is great. Add in the cunting officials fucking us and it's a wonder we're only3 off top.

Glass 3/4s full maybe.

Aye, maybe I just live on a different planet but to me I don't feel the doom and gloom just yet, the Spurs result was a bullshit robbery due to the incompetent pricks at PGMOL so doesn't really count to me as a bad result outside and going away to Brighton and drawing with them isn't exactly the worst result given recent history(yes it should and could have been a game won), in terms of the table nothing is gone yet so for now i'll continue with a positive outlook.

After 8 games last season we had 10 pts and had won just 2.

We were 14 pts off the top.

We have 17 this and are 3 off the top.

We are bedding in new players, have had a pretty tough set of games and have spent a large chunk of those games without a full complement of players on the park.

Let's see where we are at the next break for that international bollocks.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Tenfolder said:

Aye, maybe I just live on a different planet but to me I don't feel the doom and gloom just yet, the Spurs result was a bullshit robbery due to the incompetent pricks at PGMOL so doesn't really count to me as a bad result outside and going away to Brighton and drawing with them isn't exactly the worst result given recent history(yes it should and could have been a game won), in terms of the table nothing is gone yet so for now i'll continue with a positive outlook.

Don't get me wrong,i wanted them all hung drawn and quartered today, but when you relax after the anxiety that you experience during the game, the bigger picture comes into focus. If, before the season had started, and we saw the fixture list, someone had said we'd be 3 points off top at this stage, we'd have all said "yes please".

Hopefully they all get back safely from the internationals and we can give the "we're going to win everything since we've won 1 game" bitters a right seeing to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm far from being in the doom and gloom camp after today. We didn't play great but a point there isn't a terrible return and our rivals will all have a tough game when they go there.

Our style hasn't been well matched to Brighton for years and they seemingly only struggle when they come up against teams who concede the ball to them and go long.

My expectation of this season was not a title challenge but we've had a much tougher start to the season than our rivals and are sitting in touching distance of the top. If City drop off I don't think Arsenal have the mentality to take on a competitive title race and Spurs' luck will run out soon enough.

This next stretch is where we need to push on. Everton, Forest and Brentford all at home and Luton away. We need 12 from those to set us up for going to the Etihad at the end of November still around the top of league.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Watched the 90 minutes and was disappointed with the result but losing Matip (RIP,YNWA) seemed to throw our defence into chaos,particularly with Joe 'No Brains' Gomez replacing a 'I can't be arsed TAA.' I am also not doom and gloom though because we have Klopp at the helm and can see what he's trying to do. Unfortunately,unlike our (cheating?) rivals he cannot transform the team in one transfer window and has to do it gradually.

It is possible to be frustrated after a result and performance, yet not be all doom and gloom - I am certainly frustrated with what I saw yesterday. Clearly some things are better than last year. Just as some things clearly are not. I would be far more worried if we looked at the absolute peak of our powers and be in the position we are, scrapping to come from behind almost every week. We are a work in progress, so some days are going to be frustrating as fuck. 

But we've got some very winnable games coming up. In fact I would go as far as say it would be reasonable to think of anything but 4 wins from 4 before we play city would be disappointing. So let's hope we get everyone fit back from international duty and we can stick another 12 points on the board. 

Oh and international football can fuck off. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It is possible to be frustrated after a result and performance, yet not be all doom and gloom - I am certainly frustrated with what I saw yesterday. Clearly some things are better than last year. Just as some things clearly are not. I would be far more worried if we looked at the absolute peak of our powers and be in the position we are, scrapping to come from behind almost every week. We are a work in progress, so some days are going to be frustrating as fuck. 

But we've got some very winnable games coming up. In fact I would go as far as say it would be reasonable to think of anything but 4 wins from 4 before we play city would be disappointing. So let's hope we get everyone fit back from international duty and we can stick another 12 points on the board. 

Oh and international football can fuck off. 

Please dont mention that international shite again!

The problem with running a 'small' by top level standard,  squad is that the international stuff impacts your squad more than others. South American and African players particularly. Mind you,a Japanese player will put in the air miles too.

I don’t know where this doom and gloom schtick is coming from? We just weren’t very good and we are discussing why we think that is. It’s been a positive start to the season but yesterday there was the old habit of lethargy creeping back in which was disappointing after last week, I was expecting us to go after them from the off but we instead sat back.

And with Jurgen, who has, for the majority got his team selection and subs spot on reverted to last seasons Klopp.

Elliot shouldn’t be starting away to a team like Brighton.

Mac Allister needs removing from the 6 position, he can’t play with his back to goal, he’s not fast enough.

don’t know what the instructions where yesterday but they looked deliberate, we only aggressively pressed them for about 20 minutes in the whole game, just before half time and just after and then we stopped which allowed them to get a foothold in the game. Why? They are not better than us man for man.

Jurgen needs to bite the bullet and free up our two big signings to do their job in the middle. If that means play Endo, play him. He’s the captain of the Japan international side and has been playing well in big games for his country. Give him a chance to stake his claim. He couldn’t be any worse than Mac Allister was yesterday!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Please dont mention that international shite again!

The problem with running a 'small' by top level standard,  squad is that the international stuff impacts your squad more than others. South American and African players particularly. Mind you,a Japanese player will put in the air miles too.

I've not looked where all the games are in this break. Everton at 12.30 after the break and we saw the impact of that time slot last time. We need to get those players back as early as we can. 

Edit.... FFS, Brazil play Uruguay at 1am on the Wednesday. And Columbia kick off.just half an hour earlier in equador, which I assume is at altitude, so that's Diaz out. 

Double edit and fucking Argentina are playing away at 3am in Peru. 

This 12.30 lark is a massive piss take. Like beating the opposition and PGMOL isn't enough to do already.