You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: The dawn of Klopp 2.0, Hendo’s self-burial and Wolves preview

tlw content

3 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

The mulligan game has got to be Arsenal '89 for me. I was in the Kop that evening and will never forget the sight of those Arsenal fans at the end when Thomas went through. Pricks. We were a much better side than them and had had to finish the season after Hillsborough. Kenny deserved that second double.

If I had to go recent, I'd say the Spurs 1-1 at the end of '21. As it turns out, had we won that - or rather, had Klopp brought Origi on - we'd have won the league and I daresay, the Champions League (and quadruple) a week later.

That Spurs game was a fucker. We didn't really deserve to win it, but the collective "oh fuck" in the Kop when they broke clear for that opener will live long in the memory.

4 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

The mulligan game has got to be Arsenal '89 for me. I was in the Kop that evening and will never forget the sight of those Arsenal fans at the end when Thomas went through. Pricks. We were a much better side than them and had had to finish the season after Hillsborough. Kenny deserved that second double.

If I had to go recent, I'd say the Spurs 1-1 at the end of '21. As it turns out, had we won that - or rather, had Klopp brought Origi on - we'd have won the league and I daresay, the Champions League (and quadruple) a week later.

Between the last CL final or Arsenal 89 and I’d lean to Arsenal 89, just because of the backdrop to the game.

I was up in the Olympic Grandstand at Wembley for the 1996 FA Cup Final surrounded by Mancs so I’m massively onboard with that for the mulligan game.

As a child the Man Utd 1977 FA Cup Final always hugely annoyed me for years. I was a little too young to understand or appreciate the magnificent of it at the time, but just a few years later it would hurt to look back on. 

Arsenal 1989 is the one that jumps out though. I remember watching it on tv and losing it when the 2nd goal went in. The horror of Hillsborough. The FA then making us play a ridiculous amount of games in such a short space of time. The game itself where I’m still convinced Smith didn’t touch that ball and so the 1st should have been disallowed. Everything was so miserable and for it to then end on that note was the final heartbreak. 

2007 European Cup final is a great shout too. That game actually spoiled 2005 for years for me. 

Recency bias wants me to say the 2022 European Cup Final though. That still hurts. Real Madrid have the same deal with the devil that Ferguson had for the Premier League. 

But final decision had to be Arsenal ‘89. Still heartbreaking. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Christoph Waltz would be the perfect man to play Klopp in a film surely? Charismatic and German for good measure. Also grows a good beard.

I was going to say that on the pod but felt he was just too small. Klopp is huge. 

The FA cup final one also hurt the hardest for me, logically it shouldn't as it wasn't as consequential as most of the other contenders, but it was just the timing and the injustice of it. I had made my deal with the devil that I could just about swallow another league win for them cunts if it meant doing them in the FA cup final. But then Cuntona (I like him now) fucking shins in a winner which squeezes and weaves past 3 or 4 players just summed up their spawny fucking luck at the time (to be fair I remember fuck all else about the final, they could have bossed it for all I know). The likes of smug Ferguson, Giggs, Keane etc were unbearable but this was only personified but the goading, horrible Man utd twat fans (plus all the other non LFC fans gegging in) at school. At the time I also hated Man Utd more than I loved Liverpool, not that I am proud of it but they were the absolute pits.

• Upvote 1

That Arsenal 89 game, what no-one seems to remember is that they scored their 1st goal direct from an indirect free kick. Should have been disallowed.

Similarly, the Wimbledon 88 Cup Final, everybody remembers the missed penalty but what nobody ever recalls is that the referee ruled out a Peter Beardsley goal to award US a free kick! Mental.

29 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

That Arsenal 89 game, what no-one seems to remember is that they scored their 1st goal direct from an indirect free kick. Should have been disallowed.

Similarly, the Wimbledon 88 Cup Final, everybody remembers the missed penalty but what nobody ever recalls is that the referee ruled out a Peter Beardsley goal to award US a free kick! Mental.

*Cough

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Arsenal 1989 is the one that jumps out though. I remember watching it on tv and losing it when the 2nd goal went in. The horror of Hillsborough. The FA then making us play a ridiculous amount of games in such a short space of time. The game itself where I’m still convinced Smith didn’t touch that ball and so the 1st should have been disallowed. Everything was so miserable and for it to then end on that note was the final heartbreak.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Moo said:

The Arsenal 89 match/goals is still the one I can't watch or have to avert my eyes from, breaks my heart.  That's the one for me.

Yeah I think I've only ever seen that Michael Thomas goal on TV once in all the years since, as I immediately look away or turn the TV off.

The goals from Athens is the same. Not sure I've ever seen them.

3 hours ago, dave u said:

When we finished recording I messaged Chris to say I was kicking myself I didn't say Will Smith because he did such a great job portraying Ali. 

Yeah, maybe, I just think Jackson has the full range or anger, humour, compassion, sincerity over and above anyone else. Plus Jackson is a Red isn’t he, from when he made that drug dealing/rave scene film in Liverpool.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dave u said:

Yeah I think I've only ever seen that Michael Thomas goal on TV once in all the years since, as I immediately look away or turn the TV off.

The goals from Athens is the same. Not sure I've ever seen them.

Same here, I saw the ball played through and turned the TV off before he hit it. Painful memories from the sporting world 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for answering the film question.

Gotta say I'm glad Jaws was there. Best film ever made.

Weighing in on the Rodgers era, I remember 13/14 as the lowest point in my life. Diagnosed with severe acute depression, in a hole I thought I had no way out of and that cavalier side did briefly shine a light through those fucking scary times for me. 

I'll always be grateful for that. 

• Upvote 4

• dave u unpinned this topic

I was only 17 at that arsenal 89 game.

I lived in old swan at the time and i remember walking home and pretty much crying every step of the way - it took a long, long time to get over that.

We won the title back the following season of course and i remember going the away at highbury, was a midweek game in lateish april - was a 1-1 draw and it felt that was enough to win it back - was great singing 'one season champions, you're only one season champions'....'stolen property, stolen property, give us back our championship' and a little bit of a play on their 'we won the league on merseyside' chant with 'we won the league at highbury, we won the league on the north bank' that night!

Was another couple of games until we actually won it but that night was good....would have been even better to beat them but it felt like a good measure of revenge with our equaliser from Digger coming late on.

• Upvote 3