You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

If Thiago is going next summer, and I think we all assume he is, then if we want Andre as his replacement, it makes sense to sign him in January.

I’m sure we can work around it somehow. 

If Andre has known he was coming to us for a few weeks, I hope he’s started his English lessons already.

On 11/10/2023 at 16:56, Harry Squatter said:

Apparently we should be able to get him for between £25m-£30m. 

Would be a bargain if true. 

They might want to hang on to him for another month if they win the Libertadores as they will then play in the club world cup. Just hope no Man city players try to injure him. 

The CWC is before Xmas again. Given we wouldn’t sign him until January, I doubt we could stop him playing for Fluminense!

If Mo is leaving next summer, I also think we should look to get his replacement in January.

I find it a bit strange Doak got an early-ish hook v Leicester and then didn’t get any minutes v Union SG. 

If it’s Bakayoko from PSV, I’d go for him in January. I’d be happy to loan them Doak for the rest of the season as a sweetener. 

I wouldn’t be against getting Matip’s replacement in January either. Although, Quansah’s form likely means we don’t need to and that could wait until summer. If we want Hincapie, dubious whether Leverkusen would sell in January, given they are current top in the Bundesliga and could potentially play us in the EL. 

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

If Thiago is going next summer, and I think we all assume he is, then if we want Andre as his replacement, it makes sense to sign him in January.

If Andre has known he was coming to us for a few weeks, I hope he’s started his English lessons already.

Yeah Nunez is his tutor....

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

The CWC is before Xmas again. Given we wouldn’t sign him until January, I doubt we could stop him playing for Fluminense!

Yeah but the Libertadores is the last game of the season in South America and most of the reports say we have agreed to let him play that game before signing him. The club might not be too keen on him playing another two. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

If Mo is leaving next summer, I also think we should look to get his replacement in January.

I find it a bit strange Doak got an early-ish hook v Leicester and then didn’t get any minutes v Union SG. 

If it’s Bakayoko from PSV, I’d go for him in January. I’d be happy to loan them Doak for the rest of the season as a sweetener. 

I wouldn’t be against getting Matip’s replacement in January either. Although, Quansah’s form likely means we don’t need to and that could wait until summer. If we want Hincapie, dubious whether Leverkusen would sell in January, given they are current top in the Bundesliga and could potentially play us in the EL. 

Your optimism is something else, Scott.

I would be amazed if we sign anyone in January.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mook said:

Your optimism is something else, Scott.

I would be amazed if we sign anyone in January.

We have 3 players very likely to leave in the summer. 

We’ve shown before we try to get player in earlier (Diaz for Mane, Gakpo for Firmino).

We still have c.£50m from that Caicedo bid left over. PSV accepted £40m from Brentford on deadline day for Bakayoko.

Despite the tired old Henry quote from >10 years ago about no value in January, we’ve actually been reasonably active in it in recent years.

Actual past performance and facts suggest there is no reason why we wouldn’t be spend any money in January, only deep rooted pessimism. 

9 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

Yeah but the Libertadores is the last game of the season in South America and most of the reports say we have agreed to let him play that game before signing him. The club might not be too keen on him playing another two. 

Given the South Americans view the Libertadores as a stepping stone on the way to the ultimate prize of the CWC, I’d be very surprised if, should Fluminese get there, Andre didn’t play.

16 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I don't think there's any if about it? There's no chance he'll get a new contract here considering his injury record and his high wages.

16 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Another player we've been linked to as a Salah replacement is Musa Al-Taamari.

He looks quite similar in style to Salah, this is his highlights from a recent game.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

A quick Google tells me Eberl was previously Sporting Director at Leipzig. 

IMG_0140.jpeg

Interesting, not sure how good any single part of the machine is at RB, but he should have a head for the analytics and understanding of how to maintain a team as players come and go.

On 12/10/2023 at 13:23, Lee909 said:

This issue won't be getting Andre in the premier League squad, it will be one getting him registered for the Europa though. They'll have to drop Thiago or Doak from the squad. They dropped Adrian to fit Gravenberch in and Doak needs registered. I do wonder if we possibly look at loaning Doak out in January but the club might feel he's to young

Can't see us loaning out doak in January with Salah at the afcon. 

On 12/10/2023 at 15:25, Pidge said:

Pretty much, it feels like one too many bodies to me. Unless Elliott moves further forward to be Mo's main backup.

edit: maybe two, forgot about Thiago

Surely if this Andre thing is real, he's just thiago's replacement?