You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Where gas this myth come from that we run Bajcetic into the ground. In his business period between the end of January and his injury in mid March he played just over 7 full games worth of minutes in 8 weeks. He was 18, it's a grow injury. It's not like Owen getting played all the time and rushed back caused we needed him. 

It's frustrating but the club is ding the right thing 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Where gas this myth come from that we run Bajcetic into the ground. In his business period between the end of January and his injury in mid March he played just over 7 full games worth of minutes in 8 weeks. He was 18, it's a grow injury. It's not like Owen getting played all the time and rushed back caused we needed him. 

The chap would have been playing plenty of underage football if he wasn't playing for the first team. Myths grow legs and become fact fairly quickly.

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That's a hell of a leap to get there from here.

With Stefan, if you ask Stefan how he feels, he says ‘good’. ‘Could you train?’ Yes, he could. It’s just we have to be sensible. That’s how it is.

“It’s a growing issue, it’s not growing [increasing] but because of his growing, his age and stuff like this. So we just have to be careful. He could train today fully and then maybe tomorrow as well and then not [for] five weeks. It’s a medical decision, it’s not by the boy, it’s not by me.

“It’s just that’s how you have to do it if something like this happens. And that makes it so annoying for the boy.

Is it a hell of a leap? He could train today and then be out for 4 or 5 weeks. It sounds like they've no clue how to get him and keep him fit. He's supposed to have been fit since the summer and has been in this pattern since. 

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

The injury was triggered by physical stress. Klopp has confirmed this before. 

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Was just gonna post the same! For the full season he played 1400 something minutes, about 16 full games.

Checked the U21 line ups from February and onwards, couldnt find him in one single lineup.

Still people keep repeating that ‘the club broke him’. 

It’s a very common thing on this forum, people start harping on about something and in a very short time it becomes an established truth, even if in many cases simple facts points in a different direction.

Liverpool to battle Brighton for defender

Liverpool are said to be 'keeping tabs' on Colombian defender Kevin Mantilla.

The Reds have been linked with plenty of centre-backs in recent weeks, folllowing Joel Matip's injury blow. Matip suffered an ACL injury, which is expected to keep him out for the remainder of the season, while his contract is also set to expire in the summer.

As a result, Caught Offside have reported that Talleres de Cordoba defender Mantill is on Liverpool's 'radar'. Brighton are also credited with an interest, according to Colombian outlet AS.

Just now, redheart said:

Not in WWII Franco refused to join Hitler in the war and refused access to Gibraltar etc via Spain.

Buy was still passing all information over to the Nazis

Franco didn't join because he was relying on British imports and Hitler refused him the guarantees and spoils in North Africa from British/French colonies. He knew Spain wasn't ready and unlike Musolini he wasnt stupid enough to join in

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

It’s a very common thing on this forum, people start harping on about something and in a very short time it becomes an established truth, even if in many cases simple facts points in a different direction.

You say that like it’s a bad thing. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Allegedly, Inter are on the verge of bankruptcy. 

I know I’ve criticised how Italian players have performed outside of London, maybe we could get Bastoni and Barella on the cheap?

It would have to be both, not one or the other. Like Gerbils, Italians get lonely and depressed by themselves. 

We should help them out a bit more and take Martinez aswell. It's Xmas time, so them some goodwill. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Liverpool to battle Brighton for defender

Liverpool are said to be 'keeping tabs' on Colombian defender Kevin Mantilla.

The Reds have been linked with plenty of centre-backs in recent weeks, folllowing Joel Matip's injury blow. Matip suffered an ACL injury, which is expected to keep him out for the remainder of the season, while his contract is also set to expire in the summer.

As a result, Caught Offside have reported that Talleres de Cordoba defender Mantill is on Liverpool's 'radar'. Brighton are also credited with an interest, according to Colombian outlet AS.

They can't even spell his name the same way twice. 

Maybe Klopps statement is an exaggeration, because if that’s the case it does slightly ring alarm bells about his capacity to function as a professional athlete. There are some people unfortunately who’s bodies just betray them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, etho said:

Maybe Klopps statement is an exaggeration, because if that’s the case it does slightly ring alarm bells about his capacity to function as a professional athlete. There are some people unfortunately who’s bodies just betray them.

Which is exactly why when building a squad, kids should just be a bonus if you're serious about winning. There are so many things go wrong from being a really talented teenager to being a young pro with 50-100 games and a clear career in front of them (not just injuries, just natural progression too), that these kids should just be a plus when you get them involved. I said months ago, we need to stop considering bajcetic as one of our midfielders, because he's not. 

• Upvote 2

On 29/12/2023 at 09:37, Scott_M said:

Allegedly, Inter are on the verge of bankruptcy. 

I know I’ve criticised how Italian players have performed outside of London, maybe we could get Bastoni and Barella on the cheap?

It would have to be both, not one or the other. Like Gerbils, Italians get lonely and depressed by themselves. 

id take quite a few from that team if im honest.

Calhanoglu is a decent centre mid, Barella im a huge fan of. Martinez has found his scoring boots, and who's the dutch full back, is it Dumphries? i think he might be injured at the minute, not sure how serious, but id definetly look at bringing him in, then push trent into midfield

Looks like Bajcetic is taking this ‘next Thiago’ thing too literal. If it’s his exposure to football thus far has rendered him physically unable to train then he’s probably not built for professional football. It’s a massive shame but he wouldn’t be the first.

Also, if we’re raiding Inter I’d go Bastoni, Barella and Martinez. The latter looks to have moved up a notch.

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

id take quite a few from that team if im honest.

Calhanoglu is a decent centre mid, Barella im a huge fan of. Martinez has found his scoring boots, and who's the dutch full back, is it Dumphries? i think he might be injured at the minute, not sure how serious, but id definetly look at bringing him in, then push trent into midfield

Dumfries can't defend. He's a wingback really. I don't think it would solve the problem we have.

Barella would be a great signing. As would Martinez, but he'd cost too much for us.

The problem with the left back thing is that we’ve two very good players in that position, one of whom we’ll have back in  a few weeks. 

If we’re buying anyone, which we probably won’t, it should be a centre half or an attacker.

No point in buying to tackle medium term injury losses.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Dumfries can't defend. He's a wingback really. I don't think it would solve the problem we have.

Barella would be a great signing. As would Martinez, but he'd cost too much for us.

To be fair, any time I watch inter, they're dominating possession, so dumphries wouldn't really be "defending" if you know what i mean. 

But he's always come across as a vet capable player to me

15 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

To be fair, any time I watch inter, they're dominating possession, so dumphries wouldn't really be "defending" if you know what i mean. 

6ee3-4f5d-40ab-967c-41333973c6a9

21 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Yeah, he doesn't have to defend much for them. Especially in a five with three centre halves who aren't marauding forward like ours sometimes do. I suppose ultimately I'm biased because the type of fullbacks I like are Arbeloa/Zabaleta/Azpilicueta/et al. Can get forward but, first and foremost, are excellent defenders.