You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: 2023/24 Season Preview and Predictions

tlw content

58 minutes ago, dave u said:

Just being 'better than last year' is setting the lowest of bars. We couldn't possibly be worse. So yeah, we can easily improve by 10 points by doing very little. As I said on the pod, there are easy gains to be made just by not being shit against the likes of Bournemouth and Forest.

Not really the point though. We're a couple of midfield injuries away from being scrapping for fourth again because - so far- the summer has been a clownshow of epic proportions. And let's not forget that last summer was too. Some of you went nuts about last summer and us not signing a midfielder. I didn't, I stayed calm about it because I bought into the plan of "waiting for Jude". More fool me. 

That was a massive mistake, but hey ho, it's sound because we'll use the money to sign four or five and we;ll get them in early because Jurgen knows he needs to rebuild the squad and he wants everyone in for the pre-season training camp.

Yeah how's that worked out for us?

There's an old saying in Tennessee. Fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again.

All of the predictions that have us finishing as high as second are predicated on us keeping most of the first eleven fit for the 38 league games. If that happens, sure we could maybe do what Arsenal did until it eventually caught up with them from March onwards, but it's unlikely isn't it? Especially given our recent history of being unable to keep players fit.

Yeah, my point about saying 2nd is a possibility is the best case scenario/perfect storm situation. Players staying fit, rivals being as inconsistent as us, getting in a couple of more players before the end of the window etc.

Our starting 11 on paper is good enough to finish the best of the rest, all of the variables around that then come into play.

10 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

My bad.

It’s just that Jurgen is literally the best manager we could have in world football, and I literally dread the day he will pack it and leave.

He's the only reason we haven't been bumming around battling Spurs for 6th spot these past seven years. Nobody else, literally nobody, could have done it.

When he leaves, we're absolutely fucked.

• Upvote 6

I disagree with the point that if we don’t concede early it takes away the incentive for teams to time waste.  Most teams time waste against us from the first second because they will be happy with a draw.  Even when we score early sides don’t change the tactics because they just carry on doing it hoping to keep the game down to one goal and hope to get lucky.  Breaking up the game isn’t the sole reason teams time waste.  They do it because the less time the ball is in play the less chance there is of conceding.  Adding the time on is definitely worth doing.

Seeing Guardiola moaning about it after the charity shield loss I was thinking why is he doing this.  I know it’s just cost him in that game specifically but why go over the top in criticising it.  It’s so obviously a good thing to at least bring in to try to stop teams doing it.  Then you think actually it never really effects his cheating twat of a club and it massively effects the teams trying to compete with him who don’t steamroll all these teams from the first few minutes.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I disagree with the point that if we don’t concede early it takes away the incentive for teams to time waste.  Most teams time waste against us from the first second because they will be happy with a draw.  Even when we score early sides don’t change the tactics because they just carry on doing it hoping to keep the game down to one goal and hope to get lucky.  Breaking up the game isn’t the sole reason teams time waste.  They do it because the less time the ball is in play the less chance there is of conceding.  Adding the time on is definitely worth doing.

Seeing Guardiola moaning about it after the charity shield loss I was thinking why is he doing this.  I know it’s just cost him in that game specifically but why go over the top in criticising it.  It’s so obviously a good thing to at least bring in to try to stop teams doing it.  Then you think actually it never really effects his cheating twat of a club and it massively effects the teams trying to compete with him who don’t steamroll all these teams from the first few minutes.

He only uses about 16 players in the league/champions league all season. This will put increased pressure on them. I presume that's another angle of Guardiola’s 

20 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Oh yeah did Dave ring Paul at 3 in the morning to get his predictions?

Ha, ha, ha!!! I was jet lagged. Recorded  at 7.30pm but my body clock was seven hours further on and I’d only had about three hours kip the previous night on a very long flight. In short, I was fucked. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Guest said:

The knobhead was moaning about the Saudis distorting the transfer market the other week with absolutely no hint of irony.

Think we all know what’s happened here. Jorg wasn’t on his phone outside Deepdale the other night while sucking on a pussy stick, he was listening to his first TLW pod. He loved it so much he then got the new one and realised he needed to sort it.

This is just what we do people.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Chris said:

Hats off to Det. Ibiza Jorg for getting this done. Always rated him. Plus this makes me look smart for a change by reining in the hysterical fannies on the pod. 

Everything we said remains valid, if anything this just raises further questions, BUT…..

Fuck all that. This is a huge coup and a massive boost for everyone. Making a signing like this is transformative in all kinds of ways and we need to just bask in the glory of it all.

• Upvote 1

Only just had a chance to catch up with this. In Majorca with the kids, which doesn’t allow for much time to sit and get the podcast in. 

Outstanding stuff. Listened to it all before getting on Twitter and seeing the Caicedo news, which made all the stuff about Klopp’s mate even funnier. 

Chris at the start(ish) of the pod: I’m saving my anger till 1st of September.

Chris as soon as Jorg is mentioned: Anger unleashed! 

If I hadn’t have seen the other day that Paul was jet lagged, I’d have been concerned that his normal chest beating bravado was beaten out of him by this pre-season transfer debacle, sounded like his soul had been removed and it was just his body was talking. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Only just had a chance to catch up with this. In Majorca with the kids, which doesn’t allow for much time to sit and get the podcast in. 

Outstanding stuff. Listened to it all before getting on Twitter and seeing the Caicedo news, which made all the stuff about Klopp’s mate even funnier. 

Chris at the start(ish) of the pod: I’m saving my anger till 1st of September.

Chris as soon as Jorg is mentioned: Anger unleashed! 

If I hadn’t have seen the other day that Paul was jet lagged, I’d have been concerned that his normal chest beating bravado was beaten out of him by this pre-season transfer debacle, sounded like his soul had been removed and it was just his body was talking. 

Don’t you worry mate. There’ll be more than enough of all that on the pod later, if selected. 

• dave u unpinned this topic

I'd saved this to listen to later in the week so when Friday came around and the early morning news of Caicedo, I excitedly thought "today's the day".  I had to work and had a busy morning ahead of me so thought I'll get one or two things out of the way first, and by the time I was ready to listen the exciting day ahead was already consigned to history.  Fuming I was.  Anyway forced myself to listen and glad I did, really enjoyed it.  Thanks fellas, it's always a good listen no matter what's going on at the club good or bad.