You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leeds 1 Liverpool 6 (Apr 17 2023)

tlw content

matchreportheader.jpg

Should we be happy about this or even more pissed off than we were before? I think it’s fair to be split on it. I enjoyed what we did here but at the same time it’s incredibly difficult not be asking where the fuck this was at Bournemouth when we really needed it?

The two performances couldn’t have been more different, but I guess you also have to take into context the difference between Bournemouth and Leeds. One team is organised and fighting for their fucking lives every week, and the other is a shambles. Leeds are fine until they go behind and have to chase, and when that happens the floodgates are opened. 

A week ago against Palace they were 1-0 up approaching half time and ended up losing 5-1. This time, they were 0-0 and looking in no trouble at all with over half an hour gone. They lost 6-1, largely due to a kamikaze approach when they were one or two goals down that quickly resulted in them getting killed by quick breaks. 

So it’s tricky in some regards to analyse this and draw any conclusions from it, because all of the good things we did needs to be offset by how easy Leeds made it for us. Still, given how dire we’ve been against the rest of the dregs this season I think we have to see this as a positive step.

For a while this didn’t look much different to all the other away games we’ve had against shite though. Lots of slow, sideways and backwards passing, not really going anywhere and not resulting in any attempts at goal. And despite us having virtually all of the ball Leeds still had the clearest chance and more shots.

At one point at 0-0 Sky flashed up a stat had had Leeds 6-3 ahead on the shot count. That shocked me because I could only remember them having a couple of efforts and I didn’t remember us having any. 

Then we scored and that changed everything. It’s a really lucky break because that goal should never have stood in a million years. It’s handball, pure and simple. I didn’t think for a second that goal was going to stand and I’m still shocked it did.

View full article

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

"There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again.” 

You must explain what that means Dave, no matter how many times I read it, I just don't get it.

20 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again.” 

You must explain what that means Dave, no matter how many times I read it, I just don't get it.

I think George Bush might have said this piece of gobbledygook when attempting to say ‘fool me one, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.’

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

• Upvote 3

The last hour certainly masked the first 30 minutes. Initially we weren’t much different to the ponderous, lackadaisical team we’ve seen for too much of the season, but, goals change games don’t they?
Had that first goal been against us, I’d have been furious. Like most others, I was waiting for VAR to rule it out and wouldn’t have disagreed.

Leeds being beyond shite helped us to an easy win, and it was gratifying to see the players with smiles on their faces, and for Jota to at least resemble the Jota we thought we had.

Agree totally that this performance needs to be more the norm from now on.

It has too be an attitude problem. Teams with a confidence crisis don't win 7-0, 9-0 and 6-1 and don't produce top results against City, Spurs, Man Utd, Napoli and Newcastle.

I don't agree on the handball. Firpo played it off Trent. If you watch Trent he thinks Firpo is going to clear it and arches himself backwards in anticipation and Firpo hits a soft lob against him. (oo-er)

Trents arm was in a natural position for what he was doing and was more of ricochet than a block. I think thats why it was given.

15 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

It has too be an attitude problem. Teams with a confidence crisis don't win 7-0, 9-0 and 6-1 and don't produce top results against City, Spurs, Man Utd, Napoli and Newcastle.

I don't agree on the handball. Firpo played it off Trent. If you watch Trent he thinks Firpo is going to clear it and arches himself backwards in anticipation and Firpo hits a soft lob against him. (oo-er)

Trents arm was in a natural position for what he was doing and was more of ricochet than a block. I think thats why it was given.

I would have thought it is a mixture of attitude and confidence. You can see them immediately perk up when they score the first goal, but on the flip side, they wither and die when they concede. It doesn't seem to me that they collectively shrug their shoulders and say fuck this. They look to me as if it is a case of "here we go again" and feel sorry for themselves. I have played in sports teams where any setback is devastating when confidence is low.

The invincibility feeling has left them and it takes winning games to turn it around. Surely the sight of Darwin, Bobby and Diaz on the bench if they do go one down will help this. Compare that to the lack of options for the corresponding away fixture and you can see how the end of the season should improve. 

The team and bench for the game at the City Ground:

Screenshot_20230420_093345_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230420_093412_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

I would have thought it is a mixture of attitude and confidence. You can see them immediately perk up when they score the first goal, but on the flip side, they wither and die when they concede. It doesn't seem to me that they collectively shrug their shoulders and say fuck this. They look to me as if it is a case of "here we go again" and feel sorry for themselves. I have played in sports teams where any setback is devastating when confidence is low.

The invincibility feeling has left them and it takes winning games to turn it around. Surely the sight of Darwin, Bobby and Diaz on the bench if they do go one down will help this. Compare that to the lack of options for the corresponding away fixture and you can see how the end of the season should improve. 

The team and bench for the game at the City Ground:

Screenshot_20230420_093345_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230420_093412_Chrome.jpg

I mean yeah possibly I agree with most of that in fairness, but then I cant explain the likes of Bournemouth away where we turned up and played like it was a training match or Forest away, we were far too casual.

I played semi pro many years ago and the team I played in where fighting for relegation and yeah when results are going against you and the opposition score a fluke or a deflection heads can drop so the likes of Brentford away, I can sympathise when Konate puts through his own net after we'd been on top. But I cant explain Madrid at home were we were still 2-1 up and we lost our collective heads.

We need to start games fast, heck throw in a few tasty challenges and get emotions going. We are an emotional team and when we are lax, we are honest to goodness utter garbage to watch.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I mean yeah possibly I agree with most of that in fairness, but then I cant explain the likes of Bournemouth away where we turned up and played like it was a training match or Forest away, we were far too casual.

I played semi pro many years ago and the team I played in where fighting for relegation and yeah when results are going against you and the opposition score a fluke or a deflection heads can drop so the likes of Brentford away, I can sympathise when Konate puts through his own net after we'd been on top. But I cant explain Madrid at home were we were still 2-1 up and we lost our collective heads.

We need to start games fast, heck throw in a few tasty challenges and get emotions going. We are an emotional team and when we are lax, we are honest to goodness utter garbage to watch.

100% agree on them being an emotional team so when things are going well they feel invincible but when they are low, they are depressed. Bournemouth was flat but it was similar enough to the Leeds game for the opening half hour. If we get a lucky break, or if Virgil's early header isn't cleared off the line, we probably go on and score 3 or 4. We are then looking at 1 defeat and 21 points from 10 games. 

Of course the team has lacked the energy of previous seasons but the profligacy in front of goal has had just as much of an impact on the season. Aside from the three big wins, scoring 34 goals in 27 games is embarrassing, especially as I believe we are 3rd in creating most good chances in the league. 

Good to see our intensity and pressing resuming previous high levels…. to the extent that we’re back to that counter intuitive situation of conceding twice as many free kicks as the opposition despite having three times as much possession. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Razoray said:

100% agree on them being an emotional team so when things are going well they feel invincible but when they are low, they are depressed. Bournemouth was flat but it was similar enough to the Leeds game for the opening half hour. If we get a lucky break, or if Virgil's early header isn't cleared off the line, we probably go on and score 3 or 4. We are then looking at 1 defeat and 21 points from 10 games. 

Of course the team has lacked the energy of previous seasons but the profligacy in front of goal has had just as much of an impact on the season. Aside from the three big wins, scoring 34 goals in 27 games is embarrassing, especially as I believe we are 3rd in creating most good chances in the league. 

Agree with this. Virgil could/should be in double figures with the easy (for him) chances he’s missed, including the Forest and Bournemouth games. 

• dave u unpinned this topic