You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

18 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Mac Allister at that price looks like better business by the day.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be buying expensive players, when we’ve got it right with VVD and Alisson, the results have been great (Keita less so, Nunez TBC).

This is a list of the most expensive players ever bought, how many of these can you genuinely say, 110%, have been as successful as VVD or Alisson?

IMG_9420.jpeg

Although Neymar & Mbappe have been good for PSG, given the lack of quality in their domestic league (in which they’ve underachieved to a degree) and they’ve still not won the CL, can you really class them as huge successes?

Fernandez at Chelsea is TBC. 

Grealish has done well but £100m footballer well?

Ronaldo scored a lot of goals at Juventus but the teams overall performance wasn’t great. 

Bale did well before injuries took their toll. 

I think the rest show that you don’t always get what you pay for. 

This isn’t me saying “We don’t need to spend”, we clearly do and Mac Allister isn’t enough, it’s that the biggest fee’s don’t guarantee the best results. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Yes, you’re correct. c.15 goals across all competitions seems his best season. Some hugely important goals  as well. 

Kovacic had only scored 16 career club goals (6 were at Zagreb) and Rice has only scored 10 career club goals. 

Not checked, I assume Gundogan has significantly more assists as well. 

He has a few, great player.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t disagree. I think we had the conversation a few days ago that Guardiola never seems to settle on a formation / tactics and is constantly evolving the team - wouldn’t surprise me if he’s doing it again. 

Thinking a bit more, I think Rice could do what Stones is currently doing. 

So, Rice could be a £100m understudy to Rodri, or could play alongside Rodri with Stones as the £50m understudy. Must be nice to have a bottomless pit of money and not have to worry about silly financial regulations 

57 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I'm just picturing Veiga in a meeting with the owner of Celta Vigo explaining that while he knows he wants to go to Liverpool, Chelsea's money hit the account 5 minutes before Liverpool's so he has to go to Chelsea as his hands are tied. If only Liverpool had revolut!

30 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I'm just picturing Veiga in a meeting with the owner of Celta Vigo explaining that while he knows he wants to go to Liverpool, Chelsea's money hit the account 5 minutes before Liverpool's so he has to go to Chelsea as his hands are tied. If only Liverpool had revolut!

Yeah, it reads like a bollocks story or something is lost in translation. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Yeah, it reads like a bollocks story or something is lost in translation. 

7 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Its probably referring to payment plan/installments. May be the ask is for us to better Chelsea's plan.

Or its complete bollocks, which is the most likely case.

Or else we're agreeing personal terms with our main targets like this fella, Kone and Thuram and then trying to hammer out a price (and more importantly an installment plan) with the clubs.

Obviously, at the mid-market prices quoted for these lads (£35m - £50m), we should just get Klopp whoever he wants if we're serious about progressing next season.

None will have the kind of exorbitant wage demands like Mount's either. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Funny thing is the money isn't even paid to Celta Vigo by us.

The release clause in Spanish contracts is for the player to buy himself out of the contract so the buying club deposits the money with the league who then sends it to the club in question. 

Just now, TD_LFC said:

The release clause in Spanish contracts if for the player to buy himself out of the contract so the buying club deposits the money with the league who then sends it to the club in question. 

Well if he gets a double payment from us and Chelsea he's definitely legging it with the cash.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

The release clause in Spanish contracts is for the player to buy himself out of the contract so the buying club deposits the money with the league who then sends it to the club in question. 

So we have to pay the CHAPS fees twice???

I agree with Mook, we are definitely out.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Or else we're agreeing personal terms with our main targets like this fella, Kone and Thuram and then trying to hammer out a price (and more importantly an installment plan) with the clubs.

Obviously, at the mid-market prices quoted for these lads (£35m - £50m), we should just get Klopp whoever he wants if we're serious about progressing next season.

None will have the kind of exorbitant wage demands like Mount's either. 

I think that’s what we are doing. 

Agreeing personal terms with lots of players “we like”, speaking to the clubs to get an idea of price and fee structure, internally deciding what we think is the best way to proceed and will go from there (ceiling, value, could we 2 instead of 1 etc).

After the Bellingham news, Mac Allister was obviously the new #1 target and acted decisively. The other players likely have, to an extent, similar skill sets (young, tall, fast, puts themselves about and more technical things the club will specifically look into) and we feel that they would all improve us. It’s then about getting the most out of whatever money we have.  

22 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Fucks sake, Newcastle signing Tonali. He's a fucking brilliant player and one I would have wanted us to be after. 

Newcastle close to agreement with AC Milan to sign Italy international Sandro Tonali for fee in region of €70m. Subject to final negotiations for 23yo, #NUFC would be landing Eddie Howe’s top midfield target. W/  @JamesHorncastle  @TheAthleticFC   #ACMilan

The stats on Tonali suggest he's good on set pieces but not much else? Essentially the Italian James Ward Prowse. 

He's a good player and he'll probably do really well at Newcastle.

He's never really developed into the heir to Pirlo that he was being tagged as though, he's become a different kind of player.

As an ardent Milanista I wonder if their's a touch of the Carraghers about him in terms of his performances being lifted by the club he's playing for and whether that translates to a different team.

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

he hasn't exactly been a success there has he? there was plenty of talk towards the end of the season in the spanish press they wanted rid. i wouldn't be surprised at all, especially if 55m is the starting fee and there's maybe 10 or 15 in add ons. in fact when we pulled out of the bellingham deal publicly i said at the time i thought maybe it was because he'd picked madrid and we would help them fund it by buying him. 

No true he hasn't and don't get me wrong I'd love to see him join us but I still have this gut feeling that our illustrious owners are shit scared of letting the moths out of the wallet. My opinion is they are looking for cheaper answers while they are chasing investment or a way out.

1 minute ago, Freddo said:

Only thing comparable with Tonali and Pirlo is the hairstyle. Tonali is dead slow and will struggle here. Plus he won’t like it up north. 

Not sure, you can get a chicken Parmo, which is pretty much the most non Italian Italian thing ever.

One of those after a night out at the Bigg Market and he’d be besotted with Geordieland. 

Quite frankly I’m disgusted.

Ive just got back from a week in Majorca- not been following football at all- I thought we were trying to get business done early 

Was expecting lots of leaning pics and unbounded optimism.

It would appear all I’ve missed is conjecture, bullshit and the same sound bytes.

I won’t put up with this much longer matey boy 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dave D said:

Quite frankly I’m disgusted.

Ive just got back from a week in Majorca- not been following football at all- I thought we were trying to get business done early 

Was expecting lots of leaning pics and unbounded optimism.

It would appear all I’ve missed is conjecture, bullshit and the same sound bytes.

I won’t put up with this much longer matey boy 

Yeah, we’re interested in Thuram, Kone, van de van, Ignacio, Latvia ad nauseum. Same old shit rehashed. Boring as fuck.