You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emergency Ward 10 - The Injuries Thread

an tha

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Sounds like he will be out the entire month of December to me.

I think he would said that, here, to get people used to the idea of Kelleher playing 8 games in a row. 

If people think he’s going to be back for the Mancs or Arsenal and he isn’t, then that’s all the questions will be about, which he really hates.

On 29/11/2023 at 15:52, BeefStroganoff said:

I wouldn't mind but Jota didn't exactly run himself into the ground Saturday.

He seems to be just one of those players who's going to breakdown every now and again. I'm sure all the travelling and all that probably doesn't help, but I don't think he's a starter for Portugal, so I'm guessing he didn't have a big workload in the break. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

He seems to be just one of those players who's going to breakdown every now and again. I'm sure all the travelling and all that probably doesn't help, but I don't think he's a starter for Portugal, so I'm guessing he didn't have a big workload in the break. 

He didn't play in their 2nd game.

He played 90 for them on 16th Nov - had a 9 day break before our game against abu dhabi

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Klopp On Thiago Alcantara’s recovery from injury...

"Nothing changed. We said that needs time and we will give him that time. As easy as that. [We] see him every day, he is still a fantastic guy who works hard to get back. That’s all."

That's the kind of thing Norman Bates says about his mum.

46 minutes ago, Freddo said:

Let’s get a centre back in January. Someone versatile who can play at full back too. Investment in January can turn a good season into a phenomenal season. Matip be gone for a good while now. Shame as he was playing well. 

I reckon there is zero chance we'll buy a centre half in Jan.

I'd love to be wrong about it but can't see it.

58 minutes ago, an tha said:

I reckon there is zero chance we'll buy a centre half in Jan.

I'd love to be wrong about it but can't see it.

Probably right but it makes sense to prepare for matips departure early. Same with Thiago. Prepare early and bed players in. If we don’t win the title this year, we’re winning it next season. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

That's terrible news. That is probably the last we'll see of him as he's already in the departure lounge with this contract ending in the summer. While we won't do it, we need someone in January. Konate and Gomez can't be trusted to stay fit and Gomez is already filling in at right back and left back. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

He'll get mins for sure.

But the player who we really need to step up is Konate - he needs to stay fit and put a run of games together and some good performances too.

Sadly, I don't think we will see that either. He will break down if we start asking him to play twice per week. I won't be shocked if quansah plays more minutes than konate between now and the end of the season. Fortunately quansah looks a different level to the likes.of Nat and Rhys Williams. 

42 minutes ago, Freddo said:

Probably right but it makes sense to prepare for matips departure early. Same with Thiago. Prepare early and bed players in. If we don’t win the title this year, we’re winning it next season. 

I'd agree totally.

But we seem wedded to a one has to go for one to come in methodology.

Getting rid of Thiago in Jan might open up the door to do something though.

32 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That's terrible news. That is probably the last we'll see of him as he's already in the departure lounge with this contract ending in the summer. While we won't do it, we need someone in January. Konate and Gomez can't be trusted to stay fit and Gomez is already filling in at right back and left back. 

Sadly, I don't think we will see that either. He will break down if we start asking him to play twice per week. I won't be shocked if quansah plays more minutes than konate between now and the end of the season. Fortunately quansah looks a different level to the likes.of Nat and Rhys Williams. 

Yeah Konate and Matip sharing the workload seems to just about keep both fit - at least helps to do so more anyway - asking Konate to play a lot is as it stands something that is unproven as to whether he can do it....the evidebce suggests not.

56 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Why wouldn't we bring  a defender in? I thought people were complaining recently we moved on from Andre the defensive midfielder to a defender as the priority.

It isn't a case of not thinking we should.

It is a case of thinking we just won't.

1 hour ago, aws said:

Nor me. Unless we know for sure someone is leaving in the summer and we identify an ideal replacement who looks good value. 

i would feel sure matip will be going. he just can't stay fit. but i think quansah will be the replacement. 

52 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Happy for quansah to get more games myself.

the trouble with that theory is we know konate will be out soon enough, he just doesn't play a run of games twice per week. and gomez is covering both full back positions as well as his primary role as a centre back and we have robbo out long term and any type of trent backup is a kid just back from big injury issues. quansah looks a talent, but we're asking for trouble if we think he can play twice a week for a couple of months. 

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i would feel sure matip will be going. he just can't stay fit. but i think quansah will be the replacement. 

the trouble with that theory is we know konate will be out soon enough, he just doesn't play a run of games twice per week. and gomez is covering both full back positions as well as his primary role as a centre back and we have robbo out long term and any type of trent backup is a kid just back from big injury issues. quansah looks a talent, but we're asking for trouble if we think he can play twice a week for a couple of months. 

I think we’ll replace Matip if he goes for the reasons you give above. Quansah is ear-marked to replace Virgil in 2-3 years. 

With Joel surely going at the end of the season, and likely to be out for a significant chunk of that time, it makes sense to fill the gap now. I have been banging the Inacio drum for a while now, and we do love a buy out fee.

Quansah has looked promising, but a sprinkling of cup games for us and a season at League One level isn't proof he belongs at our level yet.

3 hours ago, aws said:

I think we’ll replace Matip if he goes for the reasons you give above. Quansah is ear-marked to replace Virgil in 2-3 years. 

Maybe that's what they have him earmarked for. Personally I think to get him there's they'll want him as one of the 4 to ensure he gets games. If there's a chance to go one light, we do it every time.