You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

They don’t bring in younger players outside of their wage structure either HBenn. The reason we stopped pursuing Sancho we’re told.

The point is they don't pay people what they demand if they don't think they are worth it. We know of a pay structure for the players with big disparities. I am sure there are big disparities among normal employees as well.

But unless Edwards was asking for in excess of Klopp, as arguably the other most important member of staff I doubt the real reason was down to money.

59 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm not sure the argument is about the position, but about the skillset of the player. There's nothing wrong with a "proper number 10" if they have the workrate. Likewise, there's nothing wrong with a proper 9 if they have technique and workrate and a complete set of skills.

Fair point. I guess the issue then becomes that any player who's proven that skillset already is probably already at an elite club. Most lesser teams don't employ their number 10s to play in the manner we'd assume Klopp would require, with the obvious greater emphasis on workrate and high pressing.

It's similar to the misgivings about Nunez and his link up play. Benfica don't play like us, but that doesn't mean the player wasn't one Klopp would like. I'm not sure the arguments against someone like Maddison - or whatever number 10 - are all that different. 

10 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Fair point. I guess the issue then becomes that any player who's proven that skillset already is probably already at an elite club. Most lesser teams don't employ their number 10s to play in the manner we'd assume Klopp would require, with the obvious greater emphasis on workrate and high pressing.

It's similar to the misgivings about Nunez and his link up play. Benfica don't play like us, but that doesn't mean the player wasn't one Klopp would like. I'm not sure the arguments against someone like Maddison - or whatever number 10 - are all that different. 

Bringing up Nunez is a good point, but I would say this;

For example, I've seen in loads of places that Nunez didn’t press much at Benfica, but it's quite obvious given his fantastic physical qualities that he will definitely be able to with us once Klopp works with him.

And we have that physical data on players, there's no doubt. We'll know how strong a player is athletically and then also, what their desire levels and attitudes are when we look at them.

Same thing with attacking mids. Even if someone plays #10 for a team that doesn't press, We'll know if they have the capabilities of doing it. As supporters, we don't have that kind of data on Maddison, but I think it might be fair to say he profiles more as a luxury player, with less athleticism and workrate.

Southgate's not the smartest guy in the world, but when he's picking Mount and Grealish every time and never giving Maddison caps, I think we can deduce it's in that optic. But we might be wrong. Maybe he's a real athlete. But we don't know that. Can only go on the evidence we can see for now.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

For example, I've seen in loads of places that Nunez didn’t press much at Benfica, but it's quite obvious given his fantastic physical qualities that he will definitely be able to with us once Klopp works with him.

And we have that physical data on players, there's no doubt. We'll know how strong a player is athletically and then also, what their desire levels and attitudes are when we look at them.

Same thing with attacking mids. Even if someone plays #10 for a team that doesn't press, We'll know if they have the capabilities of doing it. As supporters, we don't have that kind of data on Maddison, but I think it might be fair to say he profiles more as a luxury player, with less athleticism and workrate.

Southgate's not the smartest guy in the world, but when he's picking Mount and Grealish every time and never giving Maddison caps, I think we can deduce it's in that optic. But we might be wrong. Maybe he's a real athlete. But we don't know that. Can only go on the evidence we can see for now.

Southgate doesn’t pick him because he’s a massive cunt off the pitch (and shit on it). 

11 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Hahahaha

Maddison. Southgate is a crap/weak manager but comes across as a decent enough bloke. 

I can't make my mind up about Southgate - as in, is he a cunt or not. There's times he reminds me of the owl and obviously he's a cunt. And to be honest I don't have much more evidence than that, but I'm not sure I need it!

44 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Nunez pressing stats are very good, i'm sure they'll get even better.

Some of you would have us buy some overrated players - Maddison, Ward-Prowse, Bamford Bowen et al, and then wonder why we aren't very good

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I can't make my mind up about Southgate - as in, is he a cunt or not. There's times he reminds me of the owl and obviously he's a cunt. And to be honest I don't have much more evidence than that, but I'm not sure I need it!

FA Blazer = cunt. 

You’re right, I take it back. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, etho said:

Nunez pressing stats are very good, i'm sure they'll get even better.

Some of you would have us buy some overrated players - Maddison, Ward-Prowse, Bamford Bowen et al, and then wonder why we aren't very good

Nunez' pressing stats are not very good. 

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm genuinely not arsed if it's revitalised or not. I just don't think it is something klopp wants to do and I don't see him trying to shoehorn 8 midfielders into 2 positions.

In a 4231 Oxlade, Jones, Elliott and Carvalho compete for the 3, with Diaz and Salah and possibly Jota. That's 6, max 7 into 3.

That leaves Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Keita, and Milner for the 2

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, m0e said:

In a 4231 Oxlade, Jones, Elliott and Carvalho compete for the 3, with Diaz and Salah and possibly Jota. That's 6, max 7 into 3.

Supposedly Nunez does a lot off left wing stuff too (I seem to remember he did it for a period against us actually). And there's Gordon too. And as for midfield, I would hate to see any 2 man midfield that includes keita. And keita with milner as a 2, fuck me.   

I get the point that's being made, I just don't see us going there. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think very much of Maddison, but I can't say I like mount much either. He's one of those players I realise must be good. His numbers are decent, he's rated by everyone, but I just find him such an underwhelming footballer. 

I’m not massively impressed with Mount either.

Generic academy player.

Smug shit eating grin as well, wasn’t so smug when Alisson saved his penalty.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’m not massively impressed with Mount either.

Generic academy player.

Smug shit eating grin as well, wasn’t so smug when Alisson saved his penalty.

Couple of Chelsea supporters I know (don’t judge me) have independently told me he is a highlights player and generally does fuck all 

23 minutes ago, m0e said:

I agree.

When we’ve needed a goal v Wolves & Real Madrid, that’s how we’ve gone.

I think we’ll keep 4-3-3 in the bigger games / better opposition. 4-2-3-1 against sides who’ll sit deep and only want a point. 

I’ll be surprised if the first choice “10” going into the season isn’t Firmino though.

When the midfields 3 is Thiago,Fabinho and Keita is closer to a 4231 than 433 anyway. Keita plays on the right but pushed right up high and Thiago on the left but far deeper and closer to Fabinho. Whoever plays the 10 needs to be able to finish and both Jones and Elliot need to prove they can.