You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wokeism

Bjornebye

11 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

The whole concept of drag is questionable, its a powerful group, mainly but not exclusively white men, parodying the appearance and mannerisms of a historically weaker group, women, in an exaggerated and aggressive manner. I struggle to see how it differs conceptually from the black and white minstrel show, maybe somebody more Liberal and enlightened on here can explain the difference ? . 

And yet... Go along to something like Funny Girls in Blackpool and it's usually rammed with hen parties. Go figure.

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Crikey,now you're offended at the Pride Festival? I was just talking to my missus literally before I wrote this about Pride as our son phoned her complaining he can't drive his car tomorrow due to the roads around his flat on Mann Island being closed for a while. And while he,nor me,will be attending it's probably no different than a load of idiots in orange sashes blocking the road raging about who is more of a friend to their invisible friend than the Catholics because they won a fight about 300 years ago. 

Are you drunk?  I’m not offended by Pride, I’ve been to loads over the years.  But they aren’t places for kids, only because of the overt sexuality on display.  I’ve taken Izzy to the Village loads over the years, but I wouldn’t take her on Pride weekend. 

15 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

From the man who supports this. 

Intriguing. 

Ulster-bonfire.jpg

How do you know what I support? Unless of course you think we are all the same? You admitted your bigotry, probably best to show some self awareness.

8 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

It's his homophobia (let's not mention his Islamophobia bigotry either) that he's attempting to disguise under a concern that kids are being nonced at a pride parade.

There are clearly some serious issues at many Pride events these days, I've seen some shit I wouldn't want me kids exposed to. That absolutely needs to be policed much better. But the whole idea of Pride, acceptance of people who live their lives 'differently' is a good thing,  when done right. Some of us see it from that perspective, some of us would rather expose their bigotry by making up lies to give their views more gravitas. 

I’m homophobic? Or do you mean A Red?  If it’s me I’m the worst homophobe in the world.  Truly shocking, I must up my game.  

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Manning and his act are purely adult.  What is progressive and appropriate about him reading to kids?  You’d say ‘no way is he the right person to be reading to kids’. So when a drag Queen, who’s act is purely adult, goes into a school wearing the same costume what’s the difference?  If the drag Queen just went in a library and read to kids in civvies then no issue.  But you can’t disassociate the drag from the drag act.  You wouldn’t have a stripper going in her gear and say ‘oh, it’s ok she’s not taking anything off today’. 

Why do you think a drag act is "purely adult"?

The one that the cunts were protesting was fully covered in an ankle-length dress. There's footage of him leading the kids in a daft little jumping-around dance. One of the gobshites outside said he was getting them to "roar" during the story. What's so "purely adult" about that?

If I paid extra for adult channels and got stuff like that, I'd put my boot through the telly.

17 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I don't think drag is really that suitable for kids. I wouldn't storm a library like a fucking nobhead anti-vaxxer though kicking off about it. 

Drag has been the fundamental central pillar of pantomime as long as I’ve been around, and pantomime exists as family entertainment.

I can’t stand panto myself, never have enjoyed it and only go now reluctantly if i can’t come up with an excuse that my daughter is willing to accept, but there is always (and presumably always has been) adult themed jokes that are designed to go straight over the very young kids heads, land with the adults, and get smirks and titters from the older kids who sort of get it.

I’ve not been to “aimed at adults” drag shows, but I’ve seen enough on Tv to say I’m sure they are less subtle and don’t try as hard to hide the meaning but they’re aimed at adults so who cares.

I’ve similarly not been to “aimed at kids” drag shows, but I’d expect the people commissioning and overseeing them to make sure they were more aligned with a panto than a midnight cabaret.

don’t see there to be need to get knickers in a twist on the general premise of something that’s been celebrated as an art form for decades without specific cause. 

good governance, that’s all that’s needed. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Were the drag queens Stronts mentioned stripping in the library in front of the kids and this is why those protestors stormed in? They had every right. 

No. None of that happened, so the protesters were wrong to attack a children's storytime in a library.

(I posted footage of the drag queen reading a story on one of the tweets a few pages ago.)

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Er... yeah. That's an example of bad governance. Not as extreme as the safeguarding failures in Houston, but bad governance all the same.

That reinforces Bob's point.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Drag has been the fundamental central pillar of pantomime as long as I’ve been around, and pantomime exists as family entertainment.

I can’t stand panto myself, never have enjoyed it and only go now reluctantly if i can’t come up with an excuse that my daughter is willing to accept, but there is always (and presumably always has been) adult themed jokes that are designed to go straight over the very young kids heads, land with the adults, and get smirks and titters from the older kids who sort of get it.

I’ve not been to “aimed at adults” drag shows, but I’ve seen enough on Tv to say I’m sure they are less subtle and don’t try as hard to hide the meaning but they’re aimed at adults so who cares.

I’ve similarly not been to “aimed at kids” drag shows, but I’d expect the people commissioning and overseeing them to make sure they were more aligned with a panto than a midnight cabaret.

don’t see there to be need to get knickers in a twist on the general premise of something that’s been celebrated as an art form for decades without specific cause. 

good governance, that’s all that’s needed. 

Oh no it hasn't!

• Upvote 7

22 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

As AoT says, that’s the opposite of good governance and good governance would’ve stopped that from happening, and it wouldn’t have been too hard, either.

I’ve never run a kid focussed event at a library, but if I did, I’m pretty certain I’d ask to see what the entertainer would be wearing before they landed on stage.

not because I’d expect a bare arse and a fake cock, either, but just because it would seem like a sensible thing to do, in case it looked shit or grotesque.

I’d do that if I was organising an entertainer for my kids birthday party, and I’m not in any way trained in safeguarding.

Edit: picked up typos but also to add… I did organise a balloon modeller to my daughters 5th birthday party, and I don’t get a DBS check but I knew what shapes he would be making, I knew what he’d be dressed like, and he wasn’t ever given unsupervised access to any of the kids. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

As AoT says, that’s the opposite of good governance and good governance would’ve stopped that from happening, and it wouldn’t have been too hard, either.

I’ve never run a kid focussed event at a library, but if I did, I’m pretty certain I’d ask to see what the entertainer would be wearing before they landed on stage.

not because I’d expect a bare arse and a fake cock, either, but just because it would seem like a sensible thing to do, I’m car it looked shit or grotesque.

id do that if I was organising an entertainer for my kids birthday party, and I’m not in any way trained in safeguarding.

I guess one thing you could do is ask other events if previous performances have been ok.  In this case they’d have had a ‘yes’. No one before had called into question whether a bloke in a monkey suit with a dildo was a worry.  In the statement they suddenly realise how it was inappropriate. Amazing. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

not because I’d expect a bare arse and a fake cock, either, but just because it would seem like a sensible thing to do, in case it looked shit or grotesque.

I’d do that if I was organising an entertainer for my kids birthday party, and I’m not in any way trained in safeguarding.

Edit: picked up typos but also to add… I did organise a balloon modeller to my daughters 5th birthday party, and I don’t get a DBS check but I knew what shapes he would be making, I knew what he’d be dressed like, and he wasn’t ever given unsupervised access to any of the kids. 

And you were on stand-by with a pin for any unwanted cock & balls.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I guess one thing you could do is ask other events if previous performances have been ok.  In this case they’d have had a ‘yes’. No one before had called into question whether a bloke in a monkey suit with a dildo was a worry.  In the statement they suddenly realise how it was inappropriate. Amazing. 

It's the kind of basic checks you'd do - "What are you going to do and what will you be wearing?" - even if it wasn't a children's event, because you wouldn't want any bad publicity.

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

None of that is in the story you quoted, so I assume you’ve made it up (because you tend to do that sort of thing).

My postman dresses as a woman and dances in his front window. My mate snagged his wife at the back of the local.

When I was young there was a woman in a mental home that identified as Gary Newman. If you called her "woman" you were guaranteed a chase that could last hours, she wouldn't stop until someone came looking for her and took her back.

That's my contribution to the thread.

10 minutes ago, No2 said:

When I was young there was a woman in a mental home that identified as Gary Newman. If you called her "woman" you were guaranteed a chase that could last hours, she wouldn't stop until someone came looking for her and took her back.

There are some ultra-woke extremists who think people should be treated better than that.

Madness.

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There are some ultra-woke extremists who think people should be treated better than that.

Madness.

I know, there are kids out there now that will never be chased like that.

19 minutes ago, No2 said:

My postman dresses as a woman and dances in his front window. My mate snagged his wife at the back of the local.

22 minutes ago, No2 said:

Did they take her back for our friends electric shock therapy?