You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What a laugh that United (board, fans and all) didn't want Conte at the club. We had our problems obviously in the 90s/00s but by and large fans were fairly sensible on the club's shortcomings: as a fanbase they really are the thickest of the thick.

On the one hand - Villa are an absolute shower of a fan base. The Villa fans throwing a birthday party for "Slippy G" on the train to play Arsenal in their second FA Cup final in 30 years sums them nicely up. On the other hand - god I hope Gerrard never manages us.

Just catching up with MOTD, watching Citeh/Spurs. Even the in stadium announcer for that lot is an annoying cunt. What a terrible ‘football’ club they are. Come on red men let’s steal the league from under their noses. 

3 hours ago, Alex_K said:

What a laugh that United (board, fans and all) didn't want Conte at the club. We had our problems obviously in the 90s/00s but by and large fans were fairly sensible on the club's shortcomings: as a fanbase they really are the thickest of the thick.

I don’t call them thick. I call them privileged, arrogant cunts.

Guardiola will love seeing that. Imagine being worth tens of millions and frequenting that kind of doss house. Mancunians again proving they are a special breed socially.

4 hours ago, Alex_K said:

On the one hand - Villa are an absolute shower of a fan base. The Villa fans throwing a birthday party for "Slippy G" on the train to play Arsenal in their second FA Cup final in 30 years sums them nicely up. On the other hand - god I hope Gerrard never manages us.

You really have to tread carefully in your early years of management, because once you find yourself getting sacked from high-profile but middling clubs, you’re fucked if you have ambitions of being elite. I’m still surprised Gerrard took that job.

41 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

You really have to tread carefully in your early years of management, because once you find yourself getting sacked from high-profile but middling clubs, you’re fucked if you have ambitions of being elite. I’m still surprised Gerrard took that job.

To be honest it was a pretty good job for him: they've got a big budget, and can finance moves like Coutinho for him (which very few clubs in the world can). The bigger issue is that elite managers are even more few-and-far-between than elite players: they're like hen's teeth. They're also typically manic-obsessive characters like Guardiola or Klopp who have an insane aptitude for carrying entire organisation on their backs with incredible mental equilibrium  (and make no mistake, for all his niceties Klopp is an absolutely ruthless character): Gerrard was an all time great player but little in his make-up that suggests he'd be a world class manager, he was always very up-and-down. He achieved a lot with Rangers all things considered but as with Souness, he'll have a way to go to better those achievements I think.