You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Album Ever Tournament -The Nominations

Bjornebye

22 minutes ago, Pidge said:

No Skrewdriver either, what a fucking shambles...

I know, right?

I can get why Altered States of America, by Agoraphobic Nosebleed doesn’t get in, I get it, it’s decisive. But, Frozen Corpse Stuffed with Dope is a stone cold modern classic.

Tournament lost all legitimacy with its absence. 

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I know, right?

I can get why Altered States of America, by Agoraphobic Nosebleed doesn’t get in, I get it, it’s decisive. But, Frozen Corpse Stuffed with Dope is a stone cold modern classic.

Tournament lost all legitimacy with its absence. 

wait-what-gif.gif

• Upvote 1

On 14/02/2021 at 23:47, Tony Moanero said:

I remember when this came out, Billy Butler played it on his afternoon show on Radio Merseyside. He gave it a big introduction saying what a great new song it was and how these young bands are so exciting. But he played the explicit version - Mike Skinner effing and blinding on daytime radio. Mrs Butler's Eldest must have gone for a piss because it was on for a good while before he dragged it off the record player. He was all apologies and spent a lot of time questioning why these new bands have to put such language in their songs.

Funny - it's coming up for 20 years since that happened but I remember it like it was yesterday. And yet sometimes I can't even remember what I did on the actual yesterday.

On 24/02/2021 at 09:07, Bjornebye said:

I don't think Hotel California got a single nomination. Mental 

One that just occurred to me, did Bitches Brew get any votes?

Should have been on my list, but I haven't really had a jazz mood since pre-COVID so it really didn't occur to me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

One that just occurred to me, did Bitches Brew get any votes?

Should have been on my list, but I haven't really had a jazz mood since pre-COVID so it really didn't occur to me.

I think Kind of Blue got three or four votes & I voted for Masqualero but I didn't see any other Miles Davis nominations.

Kind of Blue & Bitches Brew tend to be among my least played Davis albums but I do love them both.

On 16/02/2021 at 19:37, easytoslip said:

There's loads of great albums that haven't made it, but the Pet Shop Boys? where do they come into it?  I only know two singles from the telly, let's make lots of money and it's a quim. 

Yes, well, it's become apparent that what you don't know could fill every library on Earth.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yes, well, it's become apparent that what you don't know could fill every library on Earth.

Righto ta, there's somethings id rather not know, I could say you but I don't know you, apart from hearsay, The Pet Shop Boys deffo can fuck off. 

It must be great being all knowing, hope it pays well mate. 

2 hours ago, Mook said:

That would be a laugh riot.

It doesn't have to be big as this one, all you need is one enthusiast and a dozen people with some interest. I am by no means a jazz buff or a connoisseur but must have at least 50 albums which I have been rotating for years. And I would vote and at least try to listen to contestants I don't know, I'd even give Coltrane a spin. I think there may be quite a few people who wouldn't put jazz albums on their top 20 or 50 but are not totally disinterested. Mix some vocal jazz in and you may get enough interest for a short tournament.

• Upvote 1