You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Fish Thread

Lurtz

I fucking love fish, me, but I should eat more. Often stuck for ideas what to buy and how to cook it though.

Last night I had halibut. In the oven with garlic, lemon and butter, all wrapped in a foil parcel with room left for it to steam. Served with culchannon mash, steamed veg and a lemon and dill sauce. Top class fishage. 

Stick your fish recipes in here, GF. 

• Upvote 4

Lemongrass coconut curry base can go with many different types of fish. I usually go with trout, but salmon or halibut would be good as well.

Garlic, ginger, shallot, curry powder and lemongrass base. Saute.

Add stock and coconut milk and simmer for a bit. Add fish sauce, lime, pepper to finish.

Serve warm with baked fish. Good with black thai rice (in coconut).

Can give full recipe if needed. Make it all the time. 

Love a nice piece of cod. Not that frozen shit you buy in shops but ones you've caught yourself.

When I was a kid, our family used to go sea and freshwater fishing, In winter we mainly did sea fishing for the cod. Was fucking freezing and because I couldnt cast very far, I only caught little codling. But the arl fella could cast a good 90 to 110 yards so he'd be winding in 5 to 10lb cod.

Unless it was early morning when we got home, he'd normally gut them that night and put them in the fridge for dinner or tea the next day. Me ma used to coat them in breadcrumbs and fry them. Fucking lovely. If you've never had fresh caught cod, ready to eat within 24 hours and never frozen, you dont know what you're missing! Big flakes of cod, firm and tasty not frozen mush.

I dont go fishing now but was saying to the old girl maybe I should buy some gear and go fishing again in winter to get some nice cod!

The only bought fish I really like are kippers. Absolutely fucking great. Stink the house out so the old girl wont cook them for me!

4 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Started eating a lot more now living in Portugal. Their go to is bream, on a bbq with a cuntload of sea salt & lemon. Fucking sexual.

My favourite fish dish so far is a Cataplana. Portuguese version of Paella, knocks it out the park!

Seafood indeed.

2 hours ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Started eating a lot more now living in Portugal. Their go to is bream, on a bbq with a cuntload of sea salt & lemon. Fucking sexual.

My favourite fish dish so far is a Cataplana. Portuguese version of Paella, knocks it out the park!

Had that for the first time in Tenerife, they call it Dorada. Stunning when pan fried too. Only about £3.50 each at Leeds* market and dead easy to cook. 

*Other markets are available 

• Upvote 1

Hard to chose a favourite but it is close between pan fried honey glazed salmon or Cullen Skink with traditionally smoked haddock and 3/4 milk to 1/4 double cream. 

16 hours ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Cataplana

Love this also.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Elite said:

Anyone tried this?

I don't even need to start the video to know that its surstromming. Never tried it myself, but apparently theres a right and a wrong way to eat it. The right way involves some kind of flatbread, boiled potatoes and other bits and pieces.

The wrong way is on it's own, straight out of the tin like every knobhead you see trying it on YouTube. 

Sea bass, plaice or sole - fried in butter for a few minutes either side, take out the frying-pan and leave to one side, then throw in a decent size knob of butter in the pan, hold the pan up off the heat and let it melt slowly whilst swirling around the pan, once it is very very lightly golden, squeeze in the juice of half/three quarters of a lemon, swirl around a little bit more, then serve over the fish. Dead simple and outstanding, I promise you, you won't be disappointed.