You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I know it's only twitter and all that, but I'm always amazed how many of these people wishing death on folks have shit like 'be kind' in their profiles, they're also the type who'd probably end up crying in the corner if you pulled tongues at them.

it's almost like they're full of shit.

It’s even weirder it doesn’t happen to men who say the same things.  

Strangely, no one is threatening to rape him. 

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Fucking hate the phrase 'cis', like it's one of a wide array of options.

"You're a cis man"

No, I'm a man.

Like 1984 this shit, if Big Brother had dyed their own hair purple and was a tedious, vegan twat.

Does it help that the term Cissexual was first coined in the mid 1990s by a German sexologist?

23 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Fucking hate the phrase 'cis', like it's one of a wide array of options.

"You're a cis man"

No, I'm a man.

Like 1984 this shit, if Big Brother had dyed their own hair purple and was a tedious, vegan twat.

I’ve been called a cissy before.  

Cracker not impressed. Also says in the article he doesn't want to say any more for fear of all the hate mail he'll get, there's a word for that! 

“I don’t think what she said was offensive really,” Coltrane told Radio Times. “I don’t know why but there’s a whole Twitter generation of people who hang around waiting to be offended. They wouldn’t have won the war, would they?”

14 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Another example of how daft it is. A book shop in the US is making a big deal about not stocking JK Rowling’s new book as it’s hateful (I know it’s not cancelling her but fits in this thread) But they are happy to sell Mein Kampf. 

There's a term doing the rounds lately 'go woke, go broke' and I do genuinely think there's something in it.

Star Wars and Star Trek have been accused of increasingly pandering to identity politics yet both are stuck in the creative doldrums. 

It seems that a lot of organisations are taking their cues from twitter 'movements' yet a lot of those people seem unable or unwilling to put their hands in their pockets. 

I wonder if the probably very brief upsurge in sales the bookshop gets will replace the money lost from stocking the work of the best selling children's author of recent times, I suspect not.

I get that vibe with the whole "James Bond should be a woman" spiel. It's not about having a strong female spy (if so they could do a spinoff or new film franchise) it's purely about pissing on chips.

They'd call for it, denand it, producers would do it amidst much fanfare, but the bulk of those who called for it wouldn't watch it anyway but would move on to the next battle. The original fans wouldn't watch it, and if it flopped it'd be put down to misogynistic basement dwellers who couldn't handle a strong and independent female Bond.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

There's a term doing the rounds lately 'go woke, go broke' and I do genuinely think there's something in it.

Star Wars and Star Trek have been accused of increasingly pandering to identity politics yet both are stuck in the creative doldrums. 

It seems that a lot of organisations are taking their cues from twitter 'movements' yet a lot of those people seem unable or unwilling to put their hands in their pockets. 

I wonder if the probably very brief upsurge in sales the bookshop gets will replace the money lost from stocking the work of the best selling children's author of recent times, I suspect not.

I get that vibe with the whole "James Bond should be a woman" spiel. It's not about having a strong female spy (if so they could do a spinoff or new film franchise) it's purely about pissing on chips.

They'd call for it, denand it, producers would do it amidst much fanfare, but the bulk of those who called for it wouldn't watch it anyway but would move on to the next battle. The original fans wouldn't watch it, and if it flopped it'd be put down to misogynistic basement dwellers who couldn't handle a strong and independent female Bond.

There’s a very small, but very vocal group of society that IMO, make most people just think ‘WTF’ and from that point all nuance and legitimacy in part of the original argument is lost. 

Take the loos question.  IMO most people wouldn’t abuse mixed sex toilet.  But some will. And that could make a % of women decide not to use the loo when out, or tailoring their behaviour to not go out if there’s a chance of needing the loo.  A small % of 30m people is a big number.  That shouldn’t happen. 

22 minutes ago, Pidge said:

You're right Star Trek was never concerned with social consciousness before 2016.

It's one for the star trek thred really but it's very different now, at least in some of the shows.

Star trek traditionally was based around good stories and accurate science with social issues and moral questions explored.

Stuff like Picard is basically the likes of Patrick Stewart (who never valued the franchise or the character anyway, IMO) and some of the writers/producers wanting to project their interpretation of, say, Trump, brexit and fox news, but without doing the hard yards of world building, creating great stories.

If you don't like the product you're then dismissed or even abused as being stuck in the past, not the type of fan we want anyway etc etc. The producers seemed at times to actively dislike the existing fanbase and enjoy fucking with them. All well and good, until you realise nobody is buying or watching your shit.

Real themes and issue often aren't explored properly anyway because the writers aren't good enough and don't particularly give a fuck anyway beyond it just being a job.

Similar thing with ghostbusters. Produce a vastly inferior film, give it an all female cast, then when people think it's shite call the fans sexist basement dwellers who can't stand progress (there was talk that Sony were actually deleting positive YouTube comments under the trailers and just leaving the negative and sexist ones).

You had the same with Rey in Star Wars (who I quite liked) but she wasn't conducive to good drama because, in their drive to create a 'strong and independent female character' they achieved this by creating the perfect hero who was good at everything, morally perfect, never lost a fight and was never in danger, ever.

Seen some brouhaha recently about a new Wonder Woman cover too, because she's been redesigned with a fat arse and no tits. Again, lots of fanfare, tweeting etc, but most of these people wouldn't buy it anyway, and many of those that would have done, now won't.

There's something really weird happening to "nerd" fantom. Networks are pumping it much the way football owners do, they realise there's a loyal and existing fan base there they can juice, but they're largely unable or unwilling to craft decent stories for them, so they're trying to instead snare younger fans from a very narrow section of society, by pandering to what they perceive to be the 'real issue' that matter to them, but neglecting the wider public and fanbase who they often now, openly scorn.

As I say, that's not conducive to good business.

On 16/09/2020 at 18:14, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think you are right. Brands need to be wary of mistaking the Twitterati for Joe Public. Dr Who is a good example of this, used to be essential family viewing but went off chasing woke story lines and is now shit. 

As a Who-er, I have to say that's cobblers.

On 16/09/2020 at 18:01, Rico1304 said:

Take the loos question.  IMO most people wouldn’t abuse mixed sex toilet.  But some will. And that could make a % of women decide not to use the loo when out, or tailoring their behaviour to not go out if there’s a chance of needing the loo.  A small % of 30m people is a big number.  That shouldn’t happen. 

How does one abuse a toilet? Or, more to the point, how does one abuse a "mixed sex" toilet in a way that you can't equally abuse a male or female toilet?

On the issue of "the loos question" do you think that a trans woman  (even if she still has a cock) should be allowed to use the Ladies' bog, or should she be forced to choose between risking assault in the Gents or just staying home?