You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

• 2 weeks later...

The usual (attempted) stitch up job on Newsnight last night in having Margaret Hodge , Tom Watson and dribbling lunatic Siobhan McDonough firing unsubstantiated rumours over 3 year old emails at Unite candidate Howard Beckett ...Luckily he more than stood up to all the accusations and much more....I guess you know you’ve won when McDonough starts screaming “mansplaining” at Becket for calmly answering her accusations 

The best part of which was Hodge and Watson accusing the left of factional antics that undermined the party’s election chances 

22 minutes ago, Stickman said:

The usual (attempted) stitch up job on Newsnight last night in having Margaret Hodge , Tom Watson and dribbling lunatic Siobhan McDonough firing unsubstantiated rumours over 3 year old emails at Unite candidate Howard Beckett ...Luckily he more than stood up to all the accusations and much more....I guess you know you’ve won when McDonough starts screaming “mansplaining” at Becket for calmly answering her accusations 

The best part of which was Hodge and Watson accusing the left of factional antics that undermined the party’s election chances 

This has strands of truth to it and shouldn’t be brushed away as ‘factionalism’ and needs to be dealt with head on as there are people looking to cause trouble for no other reason but causing trouble, which is ridiculously unhelpful.

People have found a way of bypassing traditional democratic process in the unions, a way of forcing representation which would mean the ability to call full general strikes and the ability to impose their will in the NEC also.

Its being used as a leverage tool as nobody is fully sure how substantive it actually is. 

Likelihood is not, but both ‘sides’ are pitching their tents on the lawns and preparing for a fight. Estimated time in courts? Two years! 

All very performative and utterly pointless.

18 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

'fucks wrong with his tie?

Genuinely considering cancelling my license for this egregious assault on sartorial convention.

My word.

Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 14.33.09.png

Snacks of one of the higher ups saying the beeb needs to embrace the green agenda. 

Johnson could have written these headlines himself, nice pic too

"Johnson is the first prime minister I've encountered that genuinely looks like he's having a good time"

Number of UK Covid deaths.. 128.000.

Edited by Gnasher

On 04/06/2021 at 08:34, Bruce Spanner said:

This has strands of truth to it and shouldn’t be brushed away as ‘factionalism’ and needs to be dealt with head on as there are people looking to cause trouble for no other reason but causing trouble, which is ridiculously unhelpful.

People have found a way of bypassing traditional democratic process in the unions, a way of forcing representation which would mean the ability to call full general strikes and the ability to impose their will in the NEC also.

Its being used as a leverage tool as nobody is fully sure how substantive it actually is. 

Likelihood is not, but both ‘sides’ are pitching their tents on the lawns and preparing for a fight. Estimated time in courts? Two years! 

All very performative and utterly pointless.

Do you honestly think any of those 3 jokers would be on Newsnight talking shite about spurious 3 year old emails if they had been sent to one of the candidates who was Sir Keir's mate ? As present Gen Sec how many general strikes has Red Len proposed in the past 3 years ?

7 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Do you honestly think any of those 3 jokers would be on Newsnight talking shite about spurious 3 year old emails if they had been sent to one of the candidates who was Sir Keir's mate ? As present Gen Sec how many general strikes has Red Len proposed in the past 3 years ?

But they weren't they were sent about MPs not in their faction! This whatabouterism is becoming tiresome. If you build yourself up as a moral movement then that is what you base your decisions on. You don't get to drop your morals when it suits. Sadly, I suspect the public see through this charade from the Blair and Corbyn factions and they are fed up with it. The Tories focus upon winning - and we all call them liars and hypocrites, but they keep winning. Len has made leveraged Unite money often enough - he's clearly been using this as a threat since Starmer took over. The Turley affair was factionalism that cost Unite members millions. 

I think in an organisation as big as the BBC the idea that they are not going to have Tories in position of influence is naive - Kusenburg is an obvious Tory, as is Nick Robinson, but others are not and they get criticised as much by the others as being 'work lefties'. Put it this way - who do you think carry's more weight in the eyes of the public - Kussenburg or Linekar? The vast majority of the public don't follow politics and don't watch the news. 

• 4 weeks later...

Saw that before Bruce. Quite streange the stats about their is only 10% of land you can build on in Japan, hence why many dwelling are perched on the side of hills and even stranger, his and Japans almost lasissez-fare attitude towards these kinds of tragedies. 

3 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Saw that before Bruce. Quite streange the stats about their is only 10% of land you can build on in Japan, hence why many dwelling are perched on the side of hills and even stranger, his and Japans almost lasissez-fare attitude towards these kinds of tragedies. 

The Japanese housing system is the complete opposite to ours, where houses depreciate rather than appreciate, as they are built for a life of around twenty years or so and then pulled down and rebuilt.

When you factor in earthquakes etc it kind of makes sense.

28 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They are replacing Sue Barker on QoS with Paddy McGuinness. Absolute twats 

An awful lot of people stopped paying the bbc licence fee when Jimmy Saville was replaced by Philip Schofirld as main man on Jim'll fix it. 

Edit, that was about the same time I stopped paying but mine got lost in the post.

38 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

An awful lot of people stopped paying the bbc licence fee when Jimmy Saville was replaced by Philip Schofirld as main man on Jim'll fix it. 

Edit, that was about the same time I stopped paying but mine got lost in the post.

I'm sure if they had teamed up Jim would have fixed it for Phil.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

They are replacing Sue Barker on QoS with Paddy McGuinness. Absolute twats 

i read the 1st half of that and thought "about time", till i saw that bellend is to replace her. i can't stand mcguinness, he's about as unfunny as it is possible to be. i can't believe i used to think he was alright on phoenix nights. 

25 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'm sure if they had teamed up Jim would have fixed it for Phil.

100%. It could have been one of those beautiful combinations the bbc were so good at in them times. In retrospective I think we all missed out there.

19 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i read the 1st half of that and thought "about time", till i saw that bellend is to replace her. i can't stand mcguinness, he's about as unfunny as it is possible to be. i can't believe i used to think he was alright on phoenix nights. 

He's like John bishop, just an accent in a suit. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, alles ist gut said:

Quickest way to kill it off.

Yeah it will end up like "They Think its All Over" they might as well replace Tufnell and Dawson with Lee Hurst and Rory McGrath. I'm gutted tbh, I love it. 

44 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's alright in a scripted comedy like that and he is perfect for stuff like Take Me Out but not this. 

24 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

"Mystery Guest, reveal yourself!"

BxwSmqlIMAEUJXg.jpg

• Upvote 1