You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

What Norris and the rest of the Cabinet, along with that ludicrous brown-noser Whittingdale, understand about the BBC could be written on the tip of a pin. It either exists as a publicly-funded broadcaster or it ceases to exist at all. It can't do what it was founded to do via subscription. It doesn't need a licence fee, like the NHS, nuclear missiles, schools, or any other publicly-funded body or initiative doesn't need a licence fee. The reason many governments have secretly quite liked the licence fee is that it makes visible what is in most other cases largely, and very conveniently, invisible to the public consciousness. Whether anyone wants the BBC any more is another matter entirely, but there needs to be a shared clear and accurate understanding of what it is they're supposed to be for or against. The BBC isn't there to serve a clique. End of.

• Upvote 2

It's interestingly another area connected to my thoughts on using the Brave browser, which generates free BAT (Basic Attention Token), which is a crypto, which your browser wallet stores and allows you to cash-in or gift to creators who have a Brave account. 

You basically sell your ad-viewing time. The same money that the web ad-vendors make now for your eyeballs, you get a share of that money.  It's a fucking brilliant system, and your browsing experience is faster, and less cluttered, and your data is secure. 

Now...you aren't going to get rich from hoarding BAT,  but if you value the BBC then you could choose to donate your BAT to it.  So, free money, and it supports the things you love, rather than using a law to demand you pay the BBC for creating anti-Corbyn ending credits on Newsnight in the run up to a GE. 

43 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

What Norris and the rest of the Cabinet, along with that ludicrous brown-noser Whittingdale, understand about the BBC could be written on the tip of a pin. It either exists as a publicly-funded broadcaster or it ceases to exist at all. It can't do what it was founded to do via subscription. It doesn't need a licence fee, like the NHS, nuclear missiles, schools, or any other publicly-funded body or initiative doesn't need a licence fee. The reason many governments have secretly quite liked the licence fee is that it makes visible what is in most other cases largely, and very conveniently, invisible to the public consciousness. Whether anyone wants the BBC any more is another matter entirely, but there needs to be a shared clear and accurate understanding of what it is they're supposed to be for or against. The BBC isn't there to serve a clique. End of.

For: News and current affairs that repeat tabloid smears against opposition leaders and omits stories critical of government. 

Against: The opposite of the above.

3 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

For: News and current affairs that repeat tabloid smears against opposition leaders and omits stories critical of government. 

Against: The opposite of the above.

You're confusing the current mismanagment of the thing to the thing itself. Did you want LFC abolished when Hicks and Gillett were in charge? 

• Upvote 2

Fucking defund the BBC. I cant wait to celebrate the day those cunts have to earn the money they want to spread their filth.

I had to sit through an 'interview' with that McVey woman and an anti semite who was given an unchallenged platform to spill his vile bile. On national tv.

They can fuck off.

• Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

You're confusing the current mismanagment of the thing to the thing itself. Did you want LFC abolished when Hicks and Gillett were in charge? 

I think as the bbc top brass is packed with tories and privately educated rent boys it'd take a momentous effort to turn it around. Didn't Greg Dyke say he recommended wholesale changes in the way the beeb was structured but its almost impossible considering the class structure at beebs top echelons? 

The BBC is not packed with tories.  The BBC and the NHS are the only two things in this country that differentiate it from the snake pit that is the USA.  And the Tories are trying to kill them both.  These cunts are embarking on a fucking criminal enterprise that I would be happy to take to the streets to defend.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, stringvest said:

The BBC is not packed with tories.  The BBC and the NHS are the only two things in this country that differentiate it from the snake pit that is the USA.  And the Tories are trying to kill them both.  These cunts are embarking on a fucking criminal enterprise that I would be happy to take to the streets to defend.

Sadly you probably won't have the right to do that.

34 minutes ago, stringvest said:

The 'bbc top brass" is indeed packed with tories, that's not an opinion that's a fact.. most of the board are privately educated and/or affiliated to the Conservative party..  its former chairman Michael Grade is a Conservative lord, it's current chairman was an advisor to Boris Johnson.. it doesn't get a lot better (bar for the odd exception like Tanni Grey Tompkinson) when you scroll further down and look at the rest of current board.

Here you go, spot the Marxist.

https://www.bbc.com/aboutthebbc/whoweare/bbcboard

Most of its political journalists were privately educated, and a few were former members of the Conservative Party, some went to Eton with Cameron and Johnson. 

11 minutes ago, stringvest said:

you shouldn't confuse 'being privately educated' with being Tory.

OK a quick clance at present and recent heads of bbc.. spot the commie,

Michael Grade.. a Tory lord..

Chairman, Richard Sharp, donated money to the Conservative party, worked for Boris Johnson.

Director General Tim Davie, former Conservative Party Councillor for Hammersmith London.

Board, Robbie Gibb,  Director of communications for the Tory party 2017 -19.

Look forward to having to pay again for content license fee payers have already paid for. 

The News content is flawed, but on the whole I don’t mind paying it so people get access to stuff they like supported by me, just as their contribution pays for Radio Merseyside, or In Our Time off Radio 4 with Melvyn Bragg. 

But then that goes against Tory Mantra. The cunts.

There's only one news organisation in this country that has a remit to be impartial.  Whatever your thoughts on this, and whatever individual examples you can present, by and large the BBC meets that remit.  There are loads of non-Tory privately educated people in positions of influence in the BBC.  Once the BBC goes, the dumbing down of news will accelerate, the cynical drive to ignorance and malign influence will be unstoppable.  We'll miss serious investigative journalism, programmes supported by proper research and governance, Radio 4, non-populist entertainment and informational programming, fantastic educational programming for children and adults, community and huge opportunities for homegrown talent.  This will all get replaced by idiot box television as seen in shite like 'reality' TV, cheap as chips and non-attributable/accountable 'documentaries', bollocks like Prison Break.  It's a fucking grim picture, and just like the ignorant fucks that keep Johnson in power, those happy with this travesty deserve everything they get.

• Upvote 12

11 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

Look forward to having to pay again for content license fee payers have already paid for. 

The News content is flawed, but on the whole I don’t mind paying it so people get access to stuff they like supported by me, just as their contribution pays for Radio Merseyside, or In Our Time off Radio 4 with Melvyn Bragg. 

I'm the same, I can't stand their journalists but theirs too much other good things to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

The BBC also funds stuff like the local democracy reporting service, which covers council meetings and essentially gives the stories away to newspapers for free, it was deliberately set up because there was a deficit in coverage due to the obsession with clickbait. Stuff like that will definitely go, which will allows councils to get away with murder while Holly Willoughby's later fashion faux Pas fills up the internet 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

If it goes they’ll be loads of idiots crying ‘I didn’t think that bit would go’ ‘I didn’t think they’d stop making my favourite programme’. Like Brexit.  

What, people you know said 'why aren’t they making my favourite programme any more' after Brexit?

1 hour ago, Kepler-186 said:

You already do if you subscribe to Britbox. Additionally, many of the programmes made with your licence fee have been sold off to a separate BBC organisation so all the overseas payments and royalties go to it and not the BBC, the UK tv provider.

4 hours ago, gkmacca said:

I was giving the reasons our current government might have a problem with the bbc, and why it may be issuing very public threats about funding. I don't actually mind it at all, apart from the political appointees made during Cameron's leadership.