You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ben Woodburn - Save the Wales

tomyam scouse

Allen is one, who is the other?

Lets not snigger to loud. Wales havnt got a bad side. They lost in the semi of the euros against the eventual winners and Allen was picked in his position in the team of the tournament.

Woodburn and Wilson are kids with a lot of potential. Good to see.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41180126

I bet this will impress Jurgen. Diligently going about his job, planning the players development, thinking about when and in what position to play him, then Chris Coleman intervenes!!

In fairness it's not really got anything to do with Klopp. Once he's called up it's up to Ben to accept, and I don't think anyone could say playing him has done him any harm! He's played with the big boys and done very well!

If anything I think it's great. The single positive of international footy would be getting game time for players who aren't getting game time with your squad.

From 5 games for the U23s, he's on 4 goals and 4 assists, and he's not 17 until October.

When Sterling had his first season in the U21s at the same age, he apparently scored 6 goals and had 7 assists from 19 games that season. Whilst I don't expect Woodburn to keep that rate up, and part of it may be that he has better players around him, he seems to have so much more end product than Raheem did, and he's essentially playing in the same position.

To follow up on this with his full season for comparison

8 goals and 6 assists from 15 games. Also 9 appearances for the first team, totaling 360 minutes, scoring 1 goal. Sterling had 3 appearances and 27 minutes.

Sterling followed that up by being a first team regular the following season. We'll have to see if Woodburn can do the same, but this squad is a lot stronger than the one Sterling was in, so it is probably unlikely. But you never know...

In case anyone is interested, a couple of posts I put up on the MF about his numbers from last season. I've had a few chats with people saying they aren't sure about Woodburn whereas when Sterling came into the team they could tell he had something.

Sterling was a fantastic talent, but Woodburn has a lot more end product, and I think he has the potential to be a star.

In case anyone is interested, a couple of posts I put up on the MF about his numbers from last season. I've had a few chats with people saying they aren't sure about Woodburn whereas when Sterling came into the team they could tell he had something.

Sterling was a fantastic talent, but Woodburn has a lot more end product, and I think he has the potential to be a star.

Sterling had some standout attributes (notably his blistering pace) that would hit you in face. It'll take a bit more time and more games for Woodburn to make a similar impression.

Sterling had some standout attributes (notably his blistering pace) that would hit you in face. It'll take a bit more time and more games for Woodburn to make a similar impression.

What Woodburn has over Sterling (among other things) is the ability to finish, once he gets a proper chance (may have to wait a season or 2), the goals will be hitting people in the face soon enough.

Also, people were essentially comparing Woodburn coming into the first team at 17 with Sterling who came into the first team at (almost) 18

What Woodburn has over Sterling (among other things) is the ability to finish, once he gets a proper chance (may have to wait a season or 2), the goals will be hitting people in the face soon enough.

Also, people were essentially comparing Woodburn coming into the first team at 17 with Sterling who came into the first team at (almost) 18

I think people also get excited by raw pace because it can't be taught. Finishing and decision making would improve between 17 years old over time, usually. But I agree Woodburn looks good and hopefully he gets a run out this season.