You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Any time a manager doesn't like or isn't getting on with his bosses it comes out one way or another. It soon came clear with Rodgers. Benitez before him. It's been the opposite with Klopp. Anyone close to the club is saying it's his choice or nothing.

It became clear with Rodgers when he started being under immense pressure from the fans, but he was fairly happy-go-lucky for a while.

Benitez made his feelings known earlier because he is a different type of guy. Klopp may be getting on famously with everyone at FSG, but you still have responsibilities to the people you work for and the people you represent.

Some people let decisions that go against them drag them down (like Benitez for example), but Klopp isn't that type of personality.

I completely buy what you're saying. There's no ticket discount they could give, outrageous signing they could make, contract they could hand out - I want FSG out. I think they are the biggest millstone around the club's neck and are holding us back. Everything Klopp is doing is in spite of them and not because of them.

But on this, there are too many reliable journalists all saying the same - this is Klopp's decision. It also has the fingerprints of his handiwork from the summer too - he decided VVD was his man and instead of signing the centre half we so clearly needed, he waited. I was totally against that at the time but it has proven successful.

But I believe the likes of Chris Bascombe who have said it several times - Klopp has the money. He is choosing to keep his powder dry and get who he wants in the summer. I personally think that is optimistic at best and foolish, if not negligent at worst if it goes wrong. But it may not do, as it didn't particularly with the centre half issue.

A bigger FSG critic than me you won't find, but this is all on Klopp.

I know you're not a fan of them either, and I genuinely have no idea what's going on. We have a structure at the club that has mastered pushing narratives, and it's whether or not you believe the narratives being pushed to and by journalists. Having seen what I've seen from FSG thus far, I don't believe shit that comes out of the club. 

It became clear with Rodgers when he started being under immense pressure from the fans, but he was fairly happy-go-lucky for a while.

Benitez made his feelings known earlier because he is a different type of guy. Klopp may be getting on famously with everyone at FSG, but you still have responsibilities to the people you work for and the people you represent.

Some people let decisions that go against them drag them down (like Benitez for example), but Klopp isn't that type of personality.

I just don't see how if that was going on within the club it wouldn't get out due the constant coverage we get and everyone demands. 

I think Klopp is a lot more like Rafa than people think too. He's stubborn as fuck as we've seen and if he was being fucked over he wouldn't stand for it.

Also don't think they'll marginalise him in that way because he could leave and he is their last throw of the dice.

I just don't see how if that was going on within the club it wouldn't get out due the constant coverage we get and everyone demands. 

I think Klopp is a lot more like Rafa than people think too. He's stubborn as fuck as we've seen and if he was being fucked over he wouldn't stand for it.

Also don't think they'll marginalise him in that way because he could leave and he is their last throw of the dice.

Klopp isn't like Benitez in any way, shape, or form.

Klopp was constantly having his best players sold at Dortmund, and stayed loyal to the club until performances really hit the inevitable wall. I don't know, and I'm not saying this is definitely FSG's or Klopps' handy work, but I've sure as hell seen this movie enough times to recognise the plot.

I know you're not a fan of them either, and I genuinely have no idea what's going on. We have a structure at the club that has mastered pushing narratives, and it's whether or not you believe the narratives being pushed to and by journalists. Having seen what I've seen from FSG thus far, I don't believe shit that comes out of the club. 

If they sent Jen Chang around to beat you up, would you believe them a bit more?

• Upvote 1

Klopp isn't like Benitez in any way, shape, or form.

Klopp was constantly having his best players sold at Dortmund, and stayed loyal to the club until performances really hit the inevitable wall. I don't know, and I'm not saying this is definitely FSG's or Klopps' handy work, but I've sure as hell seen this movie enough times to recognise the plot.

What has selling players got to do with the two of them? i just meant in terms of how he views value to his methods. They both back themselves to get the job done on their terms otherwise it won't work. 

I have been saying it for a while it is Klopps decision not to spend. I am pretty sure if Klopp had said pay the extra to get Keita in now the club would have done so. But like lots of people he sees no worth paying a stupid amount of money Leipzig would need to bring him in before July. I am with Klopp. We have had far too much of buying someone buying anyone to satisfy some demand to spend money. Sorry if some on here see that as being critical. I am stating my own opinion although do not see why I have to make that point clear.

• Upvote 1

I have been saying it for a while it is Klopps decision not to spend. I am pretty sure if Klopp had said pay the extra to get Keita in now the club would have done so. But like lots of people he sees no worth paying a stupid amount of money Leipzig would need to bring him in before July. I am with Klopp. We have had far too much of buying someone buying anyone to satisfy some demand to spend money. Sorry if some on here see that as being critical. I am stating my own opinion although do not see why I have to make that point clear.

Its a big gamble out of all the top 6 we have weakened with loss of coutinho if we dont get champs league spot pressure in the summer is huge

It also has the fingerprints of his handiwork from the summer too - he decided VVD was his man and instead of signing the centre half we so clearly needed, he waited. I was totally against that at the time but it has proven successful.

I just can't get on board with this reasoning.

Firstly, prior to the VVD debacle Klopp was very willing to move on to second choices.

Secondly, Klopp didn't really choose to wait for VVD he was forced to wait because, according to many sources, someone at the club fucked it up. All the legwork was done, he'd convinced the player, it was being reported as a "done deal"; until it wasn't. So after all that work and making it clear VVD was the one for him of course he's going to wait the 4 months Southampton insisted on to save face.

This time no such done deals, murmurings, meetings in Blackpool etc. Just a blank, fresh start in the summer when everyone gets a shot at every player in an open market.

There's still over 4 hours left of this window mind!

Lazar Markovic will leave Liverpool today but the question is whether it's a permanent deal or a loan. Wolfsburg and Swansea have both been holding talks with Michael Edwards. The Bundesliga outfit want to buy Markovic, while Swansea favour a temporary move. (James Pearce)

Harry Wilson could end up staying put until the end of the season. The Wales international had hoped to go out on loan but currently there is no agreement in place. (James Pearce)

Liverpool are prepared to listen to loan offers for keeper Adam Bogdan and full-back Jon Flanagan. (James Pearce)

Naby Keita’s representatives are supposedly in the UK today. The agency also have Kerem Demirbay as one of their clients - who is linked with a move to a Premier League club, including Liverpool. #LFC

Liverpool midfielder Ovie Ejaria has completed his medical at Sunderland and will soon be announced on loan until the summer.

James Pearce[/b]‏Verified account @JamesPearceEcho 10m10 minutes ago

Looks like Lazar Markovic to Swansea is off but Liverpool still looking to loan him out elsewhere prior to tonight's deadline. #LFC

I just can't get on board with this reasoning.

Firstly, prior to the VVD debacle Klopp was very willing to move on to second choices.

Secondly, Klopp didn't really choose to wait for VVD he was forced to wait because, according to many sources, someone at the club fucked it up. All the legwork was done, he'd convinced the player, it was being reported as a "done deal"; until it wasn't. So after all that work and making it clear VVD was the one for him of course he's going to wait the 4 months Southampton insisted on to save face.

This time no such done deals, murmurings, meetings in Blackpool etc. Just a blank, fresh start in the summer when everyone gets a shot at every player in an open market.

There's still over 4 hours left of this window mind!

Who were the second choices? The only other name I can recall is De Vrij and there was no credible link.