You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

Said it a few pages ago. If this signings going to work he's gonna have to change his game to a rapid interceptor central midfielder like Mascherano, which this team needs asap as the current 3 can't get within 5 yards of the opposition when they've got the ball.

He hasn't got the talent to play on the outside, defensively or attacking but he's strong and fast so let's have him winning the ball back before the opposition can get their heads up and play in the acres of space we continually give up that exposes our defence to obliteration.

It seemed that one of his main motivations for coming here was to play as a centre mid but he's certainly no Alonso, Gerrard, Lampard type so what else can he offer.

£40 million apparently as well

Said it a few pages ago. If this signings going to work he's gonna have to change his game to a rapid interceptor central midfielder like Mascherano, which this team needs asap as the current 3 can't get within 5 yards of the opposition when they've got the ball.

He hasn't got the talent to play on the outside, defensively or attacking but he's strong and fast so let's have him winning the ball back before the opposition can get their heads up and play in the acres of space we continually give up that exposes our defence to obliteration.

It seemed that one of his main motivations for coming here was to play as a centre mid but he's certainly no Alonso, Gerrard, Lampard type so what else can he offer.

I think he needs to be a right back. I understand what your saying in terms of logic, he is quick and strong but he just can't pass well enough to be in midfield. In fact, he plays balls 1 second later than he should. I've seen it in loads of England games too.

That chance he fluffed in the first half was fucking guilt edge. I mean you have to score that at most levels. I can see why his goal ratio is so low if he misses chances like that. It was a massive game changer tonight. You simply can't miss an those at this level. 

It's all well to be a rapid interceptor. But if you're looking for a good defensive midfielder positioning and game intelligence are even more important attributes.

Jürgen Klopp talks about Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain:

I don’t care about his best position. I don’t want to see him always on one wing or something like this. I don’t want to see him fixed in his position. It’s football. You have to be very flexible, and that’s what I expect from him in the long term. Today he will start for the first time, and that’s another thing I’m excited about.

I think he needs to be a right back. I understand what your saying in terms of logic, he is quick and strong but he just can't pass well enough to be in midfield. In fact, he plays balls 1 second later than he should. I've seen it in loads of England games too.

That chance he fluffed in the first half was fucking guilt edge. I mean you have to score that at most levels. I can see why his goal ratio is so low if he misses chances like that. It was a massive game changer tonight. You simply can't miss an those at this level.

We tore him to shreds the other week when he played full back against us. I agree with you on his passing as everytime I watched him play before he signed for us, all I can remember him for is giving it away. He can't do anything going forward and he can't defend so the only position I can see him having any effect is getting the ball back quickly and giving it to players who can play.

I read that Thierry Henry said that he'd been watching him for 7 years and he still doesn't know what he can do.

Jurgens Aqualani

I've never really rated him personally but if we were going to buy him then a free transfer,or around £10 million in today's market. English players are almost exclusively average in ability. The exception would be a good few homegrown players who actually have some real desire to play for their hometown club.

This lad deserves a chance but it will be no surprise if he's nothing more than ordinary.