You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool v Leicester - sat 5.30pm

Gym Beglin

Rev Richards I get that Mignolet might be instructed to play short but the thing that irritates most of us that we look so uncomfortable passing around at the back that inevitably it's passed back to mignolet anyway, after 5 hurried passes and by that time he's normally getting closed down and he club foots it out for a throw in on the edge of our box

If the useless cunt could kick it more than 40 yards he would be able to pick players out from his goal kicks

He made a good save from Vardy but was previously outjumped and out muscled by the weedy little cunt,  He's just not good enough Mignolet.

Lucas played well apart from the goal.

Rev Richards I get that Mignolet might be instructed to play short but the thing that irritates most of us that we look so uncomfortable passing around at the back that inevitably it's passed back to mignolet anyway, after 5 hurried passes and by that time he's normally getting closed down and he club foots it out for a throw in on the edge of our box

If the useless cunt could kick it more than 40 yards he would be able to pick players out from his goal kicks

He made a good save from Vardy but was previously outjumped and out muscled by the weedy little cunt, He's just not good enough Mignolet.

The whole thing about playing it out from the back is to suck the oppo up the pitch and if you can get past their press quickly there will be space in behind to exploit.

We've been doing it for 4 years you'd think it was a new thing.

Paco, but we have been conceding daft amount of goals for about the same time, do you not think it needs tweaking or reviewed ?

I think it's the way we play and until we have 2 ball playing centre backs who can also defend it's gonna happen. Have to hope it doesn't cost us like it didn't today. It did against Burnley and almost did against Arsenal.

There was a thread is Klopp another rodgers from before he even arrived and I think it was an accurate title because there are so many similarities with how we play and how we defend. I dunno if Klopp teams always played like this or he saw how we play at our best and he liked it and kept most of the players and continued playing in this style. Whoever started that thread must've seen enough of Klopp to think it.

If we concede 50 goals in the league this season we'll have to score 120.

He made a good save from Vardy but was previously outjumped and out muscled by the weedy little cunt,  He's just not good enough Mignolet.

You'll get no complaints from me when Mignolet is replaced by Karius!

As for Lucas, I thought he did OK apart from the goal too, and he showed good strength of character to bounce back. In the second half he got on the front foot with one or two tackles and interceptions.

I know, but the whole argument seems like fighting on a technicality in the face of a clear mistake.

But maybe the mistake wouldn't have been made as the attacker would not have been that close.

The match was thoroughly enjoyable and the second half could have gone wrong after that but the Champions were dismantled so it's all good.

I'm old school I don't like seeing 'ball playing' centre backs or full backs

Give me 2 john Terry's and 2 Jamie Carraghers in my defence all day.  No fucking nonsense win the ball get shut.

Let the fancy dan midfielders and forwards do all the tricks and intricate footy

That John Stones and Dave luiz, are typical examples of your ball playing centre half, make loads of mistakes, looks good occasionally when he goes on a bit of a run but is actually a fucking piss poor defender

By the way thought Matip looked good today, didn't you ?

• Downvote 1

Had a few drinks and some scoff, my thoughts on the game and things.

That was a very good performance. They've been a bogey team in the past but not today. Well done to the leicester fans for holding up the dont buy the s*n flag, nice touch.

Apart from the brain fart for their goal, could it have been any better? be churlish but maybe our finishing for one or two chances maybe but overall, I thought our finishing was very good. But why do we fuck about with short goal kicks?

The keeper cant pick the ball up so what really is the point keeper rolling the ball short to the edge of the box then getting it back to punt down field. Just fucking kick it long to start with. Everyone know mignolet is shit with his feet so close him down quick.

Apart from the brain fart for the goal, i thought lucas was excellent as stand in centre back. He won virtually every header I saw him go for in the box and made a few timely headers in the box.

Matip looks the best centre back we've had since Sami. Id say this lad could become a legend along with Sami, Thommo, Jocky, and Emlyn. He just seems to have acres of time and space.

Mane, when we signed him I thought oh no, not another southampton player. He may not be a suarez but he's going to be massive for us. Fast, an eye for goal and buzzing about the place for fun.

Bobby Firmino, what can you say? 2 goals and he was hot today. Sturridge worked hard and only a great save by schmickel prevented him scoring. Even lallana got on the score sheet with a great drive and had his name chanted by the kop.

Speaking of which, wasnt that a great atmosphere? It was great hearing the stadium rock like that. OK there were some pregnant pauses but if we can recreate this for evety home game it will be something else. The test will be when things arent going so well I suppose. Will the stadium rock or will it be moaning? Hopefully the former!

The new stand is a fucking amazing sight from the Centenary. Someone posted a picture from the restricted views due to the Anny Road roof stanchion but the club didnt sell tickets for that whole section. All the seats behind the stanchion werent sold and it looked like those in the rest of that block either had unobstructed or minimally obstructed views.

There were a few  spaces in the middle tier seating but whether thos people stayed in their 'exec' boxes or not I dont know. I did notice virtually all of that tier didnt get back in their seats until the 2nd half was a good 5 minutes old!

Oh and why do people not know there's two rounds of YNWA? It pisses me off when people start clapping before the final 'Walk on, walk on.'

• Upvote 3

I'm old school I don't like seeing 'ball playing' centre backs or full backs

Give me 2 john Terry's and 2 Jamie Carraghers in my defence all day. No fucking nonsense win the ball get shut.

Let the fancy dan midfielders and forwards do all the tricks and intricate footy

That John Stones and Dave luiz, are typical examples of your ball playing centre half, make loads of mistakes, looks good occasionally when he goes on a bit of a run but is actually a fucking piss poor defender

By the way thought Matip looked good today, didn't you ?

Hansen Lawrenson hyypia Agger?

Any of them float your boat?

Yeah Matip could be a good'un

But maybe the mistake wouldn't have been made as the attacker would not have been that close.

The match was thoroughly enjoyable and the second half could have gone wrong after that but the Champions were dismantled so it's all good.

Agree, it's all good.

My main point about the argument about their goal being dodgy is that it's rather like my lawyer, getting me off on a technicality, when apart from that, I am guilty. But it's not a big deal. We won 4-1, Lucas showed good strength of character to bounce back, and we look very good going forward. It's a good day.

we look good and sometimes very good going forward - but fucking hell do we have a howler or two in us every frigging week.

get some proper defenders in and jib henderson and get a proper midfielder in and we could be going places.

can't be pissed off with hammering the champions 4-1 of course but there is just this constant feeling we are gonna fuck things up - you just can't trust this team and there is no fucking way that a team with eyes on titles would have to be starting Lucas at centre half.

it is gonna be a rollercoaster season isn't it...

today was a high, the fear is you cam just see the next low could be coming very soon and be very low - and it'll almost certainly be self inflicted.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Hansen, Lawrenson, Hyypia, Agger

You've managed to pick four players out from the last 40 years.

Lawrenson is debatable as I had him as the aggressor and hard man whilst Hansen done the ball playing

Agger was a bit to flimsy to be considered with the others in my opinion

But I agree in principle if we could find players in the mould of Hansen and Hyypia great, but as there are very few in world football at that level I'd prefer one who can defend and get stuck in and doesn't piss about thinking they are as good as Hansen or hyypia

I think I read after the window closed that we made a bid for Sule in the Bundesliga. Him and Matip would have had everything, as Sule is a rock, big fella, strong as an ox, good in the air, but a defender first and foremost. Matip adds a bit more culture and pace, and is good on the ball. It would have been a great pairing.

Still, as long as Lovren continues in the way he has since he bounced back, there's no reason to believe he can't form a good partnership with Matip himself.

Oh, and listening to Klopp talk about Sakho, on the interview thread, it made me believe there could be a way back for him, but he needs to improve his fitness first, and it will be a long road. Then again, it might just be Klopp not wishing to completely disenfranchise a player, in case he needs him down the line before he can bolster his back line further in the transfer market?