You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

Not like the mancs found a flaw in our gameplan or approach. They stayed in the game through our profligacy, then capitalised on a simple error from a 21 year old centre back.

You can criticise Klopp for potentially not leveraging the defeat in the cup to its fullest and allowing a similar mindset in this game, or for not dealing with the weird mental block we have at old toilet in general, but I don't think yesterday's failures were tactical.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

We are as goal difference is not relevant until the end of the 38th game if points are level.

If that makes you feel better... 

No current table (including the official one) confirms this, however.

Screenshot_20240408_165824.jpg

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Klopp's squad management through the season has been great and he's been widely applauded for it. But he does get things wrong and I think ending up with quansah in for such a crucial game, at a place we always fail to get what we deserve, one of those moments. I think he's actually getting to a point where he wants quansah to be the first choice partner for vvd. I can understand why, because konates body can't be trusted. But quansah has struggled a bit in recent games, it was a massive risk to stick with quansah and it hasn't paid off. 

Maybe it comes back to the fact the ibou cannot back up and play two games a week. That’s a problem now and will be a problem next season unless he sorts it or we get another centre back. I think we’ll definitely get another centre half in.

I was surprised to see Ibou turn out against Sheffield United.

As for quansah, we’ve found a first team level player who will only get better. Same with Bradley.

6 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

We are as goal difference is not relevant until the end of the 38th game if points are level.

The most desperate nonsense I have ever heard.

1 hour ago, Freddo said:

Maybe it comes back to the fact the ibou cannot back up and play two games a week. That’s a problem now and will be a problem next season unless he sorts it or we get another centre back. I think we’ll definitely get another centre half in.

I was surprised to see Ibou turn out against Sheffield United.

As for quansah, we’ve found a first team level player who will only get better. Same with Bradley.

Absolutely konate was part of the issues but klopp did also leave Gomez on the bench. And as you rightly mention, he chose to pick konate on Thursday. As I said in my other point, I think klopp sees quansah as the first choice partner for vvd now. His actions this last week point to that. 

9 hours ago, Manny said:

Not like the mancs found a flaw in our gameplan or approach. They stayed in the game through our profligacy, then capitalised on a simple error from a 21 year old centre back.

You can criticise Klopp for potentially not leveraging the defeat in the cup to its fullest and allowing a similar mindset in this game, or for not dealing with the weird mental block we have at old toilet in general, but I don't think yesterday's failures were tactical.

I think people just kneejerk and want to fix reasons for a disappointing result but players are human and have shit games.

No need to overcomplicate and dig into some tactical reason. We mostly played well but it counts for little if you forget how to put the ball in the net.

• Upvote 2

The team put out was awful and it smacked of the whole squads effort tonight of thinking this was a walk over. They all got exactly what the performance deserved. Having said that, the team put out should have performed far better and at least put them under enough pressure that late subs would have come on to kill them off

I said in the match thread that I was happy with the line up, lads that needed game time getting minutes and a string bench there for if we needed it.

Bad first have but we were worse in the second half with the changes.

I think we as fans shot ourselves in the foot a bit with the no flags protest, that's twice Atalanta have beaten us at an Anfield with no atmosphere.

Awful nights work from Klopp, I can't think of one worse. Klopp knows they play aggressive man to man pressing. Endo has done ok but his limitations were exposed today and Mac Allister had to play the 6 to get us out.

Even that probably wouldn't have mattered as there were a lot of really shit performances, Kostas and Gomez probably being the worst.

2 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Awful nights work from Klopp, I can't think of one worse. Klopp knows they play aggressive man to man pressing. Endo has done ok but his limitations were exposed today and Mac Allister had to play the 6 to get us out.

Even that probably wouldn't have mattered as there were a lot of really shit performances, Kostas and Gomez probably being the worst.

that's such bollocks re Endo.  He had a poor game, but he won more ball and gave it away less than MacAllister.  MacAllister was poor, as was everyone else.  

Just now, stringvest said:

that's such bollocks re Endo.  He had a poor game, but he won more ball and gave it away less than MacAllister.  MacAllister was poor, as was everyone else.  

Mac Allister was poor, the whole team was shit but it doesn't matter what Mac Allister was doing as an 8 as he should have been the 6. Endo was too slow, caught too many times and nowhere near good enough in this game on the ball to play through the press.

6 minutes ago, stringvest said:

He gave the ball away less because he wasn't trying to do anything constructive with it.

Agreed that they were all shit, however. 

46 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I said in the match thread that I was happy with the line up, lads that needed game time getting minutes and a string bench there for if we needed it.

Bad first have but we were worse in the second half with the changes.

I think we as fans shot ourselves in the foot a bit with the no flags protest, that's twice Atalanta have beaten us at an Anfield with no atmosphere.

Yeah, the people harping over the lineup, I don't get. Right wing and left back are the places where we pick clearly weaker players. Is that egregious? Specifically, the midfield is the one people wanted to see be first choice recently.

What's apparent is that we have a lot of players who are of a similar level, in that, they are good but they haven't taken the step to be top players yet. So the team selection talk is a bit overwrought. When we've been at our best this season is when we could swap loads of players in and out and they all contributed. Now they mostly all stink. Which is kinda what happens with just decent players. 

It feels we have rotated often not through choice more than anybody yet we look more tired. No way this side goes on a run playing the high risk football because it looks like they haven't the legs to recover or the mental energy. The bad starts are killing us you can only go to the well so many times to fight back before the bad starts are just bad games. 

That said games like last night can just happen and some teams/styles can just not match up great for us.

7 hours ago, stringvest said:

Endo is easy to bully,sometimes MacAllister alongside him too. It seems our 'diddymen' central midfield is being targeted of late with a fair amount of success. Mind you,you can't blame individuals for an all around poor performance as the whole team let us down on the night. The complacency came right from the line up too so the coaching staff get their fair share of blame too.

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Endo is easy to bully,sometimes MacAllister alongside him too. It seems our 'diddymen' central midfield is being targeted of late with a fair amount of success. Mind you,you can't blame individuals for an all around poor performance as the whole team let us down on the night. The complacency came right from the line up too so the coaching staff get their fair share of blame too.

More than being bullied i think the players round them were to blame. Nobody made themselves available to pass out of a very good press. Atalanta knew when and who to start the press against and after a bad start i think its fair to say a few players hid a bit and didn't hold shape to play out from the back in the first half. Never seen our keepers play just long balls into the midfield aimlessly so often

I don't think it's a particular tactic or approach issue, 

I honestly just think our strikers are missing far too many opportunities. 

Nunez is missing absolutely everything, and not just at the minute, but generally all the time. Sitter after fucking sitter. 

Gakpo doesn't even get into position to score. 

Salah is scoring the odd goal, but needs 10 chances to convert one. 

That's not a tactic, it's just players playing crap, or being crap, whichever way you want to put it

• Upvote 1

Thing is Gakpo getting into positions to score I feel he'd be far more likely to finish his chances. Give him time as a centre forward and none of this false shit. He might be shit but everyone else upfront is doing a fine job of impersonating it anyway.

8 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It feels we have rotated often not through choice more than anybody yet we look more tired. No way this side goes on a run playing the high risk football because it looks like they haven't the legs to recover or the mental energy. The bad starts are killing us you can only go to the well so many times to fight back before the bad starts are just bad games. 

That said games like last night can just happen and some teams/styles can just not match up great for us.

but this is why klopp played jones last night, gave jota a few minutes and hopefully Trent and Ali are to follow. is there are places who can give us some freshness and energy to push us through this last part of the season. 

5 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

I don't think it's a particular tactic or approach issue, 

I honestly just think our strikers are missing far too many opportunities. 

Nunez is missing absolutely everything, and not just at the minute, but generally all the time. Sitter after fucking sitter. 

Gakpo doesn't even get into position to score. 

Salah is scoring the odd goal, but needs 10 chances to convert one. 

That's not a tactic, it's just players playing crap, or being crap, whichever way you want to put it

last night was a clear tactic thing - not so much in our tactics, but the players inability to cope with theirs. we had absolutely no clue how to play passes that got players clear. We had some chances (not as many as them), but we spent so much of the game with players playing zero risk passes as they couldn't see a value risk pass due to their tactics. 

• Upvote 1

I thought Atalanta might have tired towards the end of the game as they put so much effort into closing us down, but they were gifted goals at just the right time to allow them to  keep up the pressure.

Although we know we played well below the acceptable and expected level we can play at, I think they deserve a lot of credit for their plan and how they carried it out.

Their supporters were good too, plenty of noise right the way through.

• Upvote 3