You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2016

aRdja

Maybe part of the reason we've struggled to improve the team is linked to our inability to find value though. We vacillate wildly from splurging and then haggling, and it's hard not to see that one directly affects the other.

People complain about the PL premium, or so called English tax, but we're the ones who've inflated the prices we pay more than anything. I can't blame Shakhtar for trying to get an inordinate amount for an uncapped mid-twenties player, but each window the calls from fans to "just pay the money and get it done" is short termist in the extreme. It always has a knock on effect.

Our problem is not in our failing to pay, it's in not being willing to walk away and follow other targets. Whether we've learned that lesson, whether it's been past managers' failings or it's more deeply entrenched in the fabric of the committee, we'll only really know in the summer.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The time has come to form a new committee: Brigant Moloch, Numero, wrongvest and Head of Communications Kevin D.

As long as the likes of you and Ardja aren't on it, I'll be happy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, continue supporting this Criminal Hedgefund, squeezing £££ out of your local club and your local economy. 

The most astonishing part, is that fans believe that there is absolutely nothing suspicious about deals like Benteke's, Lallana's, Lolvren's et al. When the club could have bought real value, a shadow committee (of fraudsters?) decided to agree outrageous deals. You think the old drunk was ripping the mancs off through his son (e.g. Veron deal), Allardyce, the Welsh nonce doing exactly the same, while the LFC directors are all honest? Wake up. We are getting ripped off from inside. 

• Upvote 1

Personally I think the only way to get value in the transfer market is to buy players who are good at football. It's doesn't matter how cheap a player is if they're shite. Just stop taking gambles, stop buying 8 players a year and identify the weakest part of the team and buy the best players you can. Fill the rest with what we have and kids.

It really is that simple. 

Buy quality over quantity. 

Maybe part of the reason we've struggled to improve the team is linked to our inability to find value though. We vacillate wildly from splurging and then haggling, and it's hard not to see that one directly affects the other.

People complain about the PL premium, or so called English tax, but we're the ones who've inflated the prices we pay more than anything. I can't blame Shakhtar for trying to get an inordinate amount for an uncapped mid-twenties player, but each window the calls from fans to "just pay the money and get it done" is short termist in the extreme. It always has a knock on effect.

Our problem is not in our failing to pay, it's in not being willing to walk away and follow other targets. Whether we've learned that lesson, whether it's been past managers' failings or it's more deeply entrenched in the fabric of the committee, we'll only really know in the summer.

A knock-on effect is right. When we report that our bid for Teixeira is £0.5m less than for Lallana then I can see why fans think, erm go on then stick another bid in. The Shakhtar owner is going to be thinking that, he'll know what our budget can max out at, and it's his best player.

Him being uncapped is a good negotiating factor for us but when sponsors pick national teams it's a red herring. The Shakhtar owner might be thinking that we pay massive amounts for players without champions league experience and my guy has played in it for six years straight.

Walking away is fine, but if we're a club that get's the initial valuation wildly wrong every time, then it's serious.

Sometimes the thing to do is nothing. Henry, or whoever is writing the cheques must be convinced that boatloads of money has been spent, squandered and otherwise burned with little to show for it.

The smart play was this. Next transfer window there will be more buyers because of the tv money and there some of the advantages of playing for a big club will come through, After ll, If Bournemouth, say, or another small club can come in for the same money as us what's the advantage to the player?

I don't begrudge the club sitting tight now. Give Klopp a chance to clean house and see who's worth it in the summer. We've been floundering about all season, not the time to bed in new players to hold on to 6th or 7th.

• Upvote 1

We've been floundering about all season, not the time to bed in new players to hold on to 6th or 7th.

I agree with this.

The amount of injuries we've had has given Klopp the chance to see the potential in the younger squad players. We might just have found the required talent with the right attitude (Brannagan, Ojo, Smith for example) without having to go out and buy it. We are short a striker for sure but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options available. The Euros might even shine light on a few decent players that wouldn't cost a fortune.

I'm of the opinion that we should have bought a forward but  journos have been intimating for a while  that none of our targets would be available in January so im not surprised we didn't. We also have a pretty bloated squad and I don't think the club would have wanted to buy someone without also getting rid of a few, and the injuries would have made that impossible.

I also think that Klopp would have played a big part in the club not wanting to pay for Teixeira, as he had previously said we wouldn't be goaded into paying ridiculous prices, so blaming the owners for lack of ambition is off the mark this time, Imo.

• Upvote 1

A knock-on effect is right. When we report that our bid for Teixeira is £0.5m less than for Lallana then I can see why fans think, erm go on then stick another bid in. The Shakhtar owner is going to be thinking that, he'll know what our budget can max out at, and it's his best player.

Him being uncapped is a good negotiating factor for us but when sponsors pick national teams it's a red herring. The Shakhtar owner might be thinking that we pay massive amounts for players without champions league experience and my guy has played in it for six years straight.

Walking away is fine, but if we're a club that get's the initial valuation wildly wrong every time, then it's serious.

All fair points, but I'd argue that we've been scuppered mainly by actually backing managers on supposedly key players, ignoring our own valuations, and inflating the impression of what we're willing - and should be able - to pay for players.

Each window has a hangover, and allowing our own poor business to be the basis for another inflated fee is a cycle that won't end. If Klopp is willing to buck that trend - and maybe I'm clutching at straws, but I think this may be an indication he is - then that bodes well for the future in my opinion.

Carroll and Downing cast a long shadow, and Benteke and Lallana have replicated that situation. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We were right not to be held to ransom on Teixeira. However, failure to bring in a striker - even on a loan deal -  is pathetically negligent.

Even if the manager just wants to save funds for the summer? He's not a reckless manager when it comes to spending. If it's his choice, do you think he is pathetically negligent? 

I'm of the opinion that we should have bought a forward but journos have been intimating for a while that none of our targets would be available in January so im not surprised we didn't. We also have a pretty bloated squad and I don't think the club would have wanted to buy someone without also getting rid of a few, and the injuries would have made that impossible.

I also think that Klopp would have played a big part in the club not wanting to pay for Teixeira, as he had previously said we wouldn't be goaded into paying ridiculous prices, so blaming the owners for lack of ambition is off the mark this time, Imo.

I agree that Klopp will have been the one who didn't want to pay what Shakthar wanted and I was sure that was the case before his comments.The owners would have went all out for Klopps first signing imo, he has said he doesn't want to overpay for players so it's no surprise that deal was not done.

Everyone's been saying he will be judged on his transfers so it wouldn't have been the best idea paying over the odds, a new signing isn't going to make a massive difference this season and if it was a bad signing Klopp would get stick for it.

• Downvote 1