You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our new spine, will we be more direct?

Now it looks like we are signing Benteke my question is can we be more direct when he is on the pitch? Will Rodgers learn to adapt or try and convert him into a better all round footballer? I'm unsure of how he will try and get the best out of him but it will be interesting to see what we do when he is in the side.

Barcelona play from front to back a lot more quicker now Enrique is in charge and they have Suarez. I think Rodgers might have seen that and might try and copy this style. Sure they still play tiki taka but they also mix up their game now and play the odd long pass too. I know Suarez is quality but his strength alone is a handful and it attracts the opposition.

"if" we do this it will open up spaces for other players and mean the middle of the pitch isn't so congested. 90 minutes is a long time to play one way, personally i think you have to mix up your game to keep your opponents thinking and now we have the players to do this.

Our spine is getting stronger. Sahko/Skrtel, Milner/can, Benteke/ings Origi. We finally have some power and steel throughout the team and plenty of flair & creativity from the others. I am really looking forward to the new season, i think a lot of people are going to be surprised by the squad we are starting to assemble. 

Even if Rodgers can't make it work, i think the next guy will have a good group of players to work with.

Greed tells me another left back and a Playmaker would be perfect but we have Texiera and i always thought he was pure class since Kenny brought him to the club. Bring on the new season i personally can't wait for it to start. 

Come on Liverpool!!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

One thing we should have learned by now is that we don't buy players to fit a system, we buy players then try to make them fit one, then blame them when they don't. If we're buying sluggers that's probably because Rodgers doesn't realise it, he needs to work with them first.

One thing we should have learned by now is that we don't buy players to fit a system, we buy players then try to make them fit one, then blame them when they don't. If we're buying sluggers that's probably because Rodgers doesn't realise it, he needs to work with them first.

I can't think of a worse club in the transfer market over the last 20 odd years than us. It's been horrendous, but i do think there are rumblings of a plan starting to form. They seem to be buying the best young talent they can find and this transfer window have added a sprinkling of experience to go with it.

If Rodgers can't make it work i think another manager wouldn't need a massive overhaul to put the puzzle together. Could Klopp, for example, take Coutinho, Firmino, Ibe, Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Benteke, Markovic to the next attacking level? I think he could easily work with that bunch.

Getting Can, Henderson, Milner to function as a pressing unit should be achievable whilst making a more solid defence out of Sahko, Skrtel, Illori, Clyne and Moreno can happen. 

Whilst we have Texiera, Brannigan, Wilson, Ojo, Chirivella looking to come through as well.

All if's and buts but i feel more positive about the direction we are heading in now. We have some quality players there and we shouldn't be reliant on one individual, a la Suarez/Gerrard to carry us in games anymore.

• Downvote 1

Now it looks like we are signing Benteke my question is can we be more direct when he is on the pitch? Will Rodgers learn to adapt or try and convert him into a better all round footballer? I'm unsure of how he will try and get the best out of him but it will be interesting to see what we do when he is in the side.

Barcelona play from front to back a lot more quicker now Enrique is in charge and they have Suarez. I think Rodgers might have seen that and might try and copy this style. Sure they still play tiki taka but they also mix up their game now and play the odd long pass too. I know Suarez is quality but his strength alone is a handful and it attracts the opposition.

"if" we do this it will open up spaces for other players and mean the middle of the pitch isn't so congested. 90 minutes is a long time to play one way, personally i think you have to mix up your game to keep your opponents thinking and now we have the players to do this.

Our spine is getting stronger. Sahko/Skrtel, Milner/can, Benteke/ings Origi. We finally have some power and steel throughout the team and plenty of flair & creativity from the others. I am really looking forward to the new season, i think a lot of people are going to be surprised by the squad we are starting to assemble. 

Even if Rodgers can't make it work, i think the next guy will have a good group of players to work with.

Greed tells me another left back and a Playmaker would be perfect but we have Texiera and i always thought he was pure class since Kenny brought him to the club. Bring on the new season i personally can't wait for it to start. 

Come on Liverpool!!

A welcome addition to the handful of us on the forum who are not miserable bastards

• Upvote 1

I can't think of a worse club in the transfer market over the last 20 odd years than us. It's been horrendous, but i do think there are rumblings of a plan starting to form. They seem to be buying the best young talent they can find and this transfer window have added a sprinkling of experience to go with it.

If Rodgers can't make it work i think another manager wouldn't need a massive overhaul to put the puzzle together. Could Klopp, for example, take Coutinho, Firmino, Ibe, Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Benteke, Markovic to the next attacking level? I think he could easily work with that bunch.

Getting Can, Henderson, Milner to function as a pressing unit should be achievable whilst making a more solid defence out of Sahko, Skrtel, Illori, Clyne and Moreno can happen.

Whilst we have Texiera, Brannigan, Wilson, Ojo, Chirivella looking to come through as well.

All if's and buts but i feel more positive about the direction we are heading in now. We have some quality players there and we shouldn't be reliant on one individual, a la Suarez/Gerrard to carry us in games anymore.

If, as some media have reported, there are no further significant additions to the squad, where on paper would you rank it in the league?

If, as some media have reported, there are no further significant additions to the squad, where on paper would you rank it in the league?

If the team that played most of the first 60 minutes today is out there i would say 5/6/7th.

It's all on Brendan now, if he continues to play a high pressing game with those types of players we will struggle really badly. One pass seems to open up our whole midfield and then we are chasing with gaps all over. Just like last season.

I just don't see the point in trying to win the ball back so high up the pitch when you are going to win it and give it to Henderson/Lucas/Allen to then be creative with it.  They have no vision and composure to pick a pass. 

We are better off sitting off the opposition and inviting them onto us and trying to counter. When we press we look like a bunch of dogs who haven't eaten they're pedigree chum and can't find the bone. 

It hinge's on Rodgers, if he doesn't sign another playmaker/passer/Dm and still asks these guys to press high we will get fucked over. If he changes his style we might do well. I don't think the players are the issue i think its the way he asks them to play. 

I think if Rodgers gets it right we can have a good season.

The big worry for me is we only seem to have 1 right and left back at the club, and they are both young, inexperienced and new/shit or a combination of each.

Flanno is crocked still and hasn't played for 18 months, Enrique is made of tissue paper and doesn't really seem to be in Rodgers plans.

That leaves Clyne for RB and Moreno for LB.

If he's relying on Wisdom/Can to fill in then we're in trouble because

a) they're shit full backs. or

B) he's sticking with 3 at the back.