You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Seems to actually be mainly unemployed allowed to keep benefits and illegal non EU migrant workers. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-spain-agriculture-idUSKCN21Q2MX

Most of your article there appear to be Africans. 

As I said it does not matter who and where, the transportation of labour during a pandemic was a bad idea then and an even worse one now. Remember the outbreak on a farm in this country (herefordshire) where 3 tried to escape?

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

As I said it does not matter who and where, the transportation of labour during a pandemic was a bad idea then and an even worse one now. Remember the outbreak on a farm in this country (herefordshire) where 3 tried to escape?

It matters who and where when you're trying to blame the EU for it. 

1 minute ago, cloggypop said:

It matters who and where when you're trying to blame the EU for it. 

No it dosnt, the spread is from people travelling unnecessarily, the transportation of fruit pickers a la holidaymakers means people are travelling for reasons not essential, they are spreading a virus which is killing thousands of people. 

Not the fault of the workers trying to make a living, more the system. Holiday makers meanwhile should take a hard look in the mirror.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Remember in the summer the media pushed out the lazy brit narrative to justify landowners chartering planes to fly in cheap labour? 

The daily mail idiots lapped it up...

Yeah, the Daily Mail will do anything to big up the EU and slag off Brexit. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Oh come on you're an intelligent fella, it is and was fucking obvious that flying low paid workers around europe (whichever country they were from and whichever country they were going) was senseless. They were packed into planes with little ventilation for the sake of picking vegetables. Ridiculous.  Same with fucking off on holiday, oh so predictable. 

https://www.ednh.news/fruit-pickers-sweat-as-virus-flares-in-northeast-spain/

I've got no idea where you're going with this. Of course moving around between countries during a pandemic is risky, no one's saying anything different, but that's handled by the countries involved. If the UK allows residents to go abroad and the countries they're going to accept them, it's got nothing to do with the EU whether they're working or on holiday, it's up to the UK and the other country to sort it out safely. Can you imagine the furore if the EU had stopped UK holidaymakers going to Spain?

The link you posted is about Guinean workers in Spain, so it has even less relevance to Romanian workers coming to the UK. Just to point out though, post-Brexit, we'll be getting seasonal migrant workers from even poorer countries than Romania or Poland and those workers won't have the current protections and rights the EU offers so they'll be even more prone to exploitation.

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

That's an interesting article.  (Fuck all to do with what you're going on about, like.) 

It sort of suggests that if we'd had proper travel restrictions, testing at airports, track & trace systems, etc. a lot of lives could have been saved.

14 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I think the mail has gone a bit pro eu since Dacre left.

Oh and if I remember rightly your empathy for the least well off didnt extend to those packed onto charter planes to fly into covid ravaged Britain for the purpose of knocking a quid of a punnet of Strawberries. That shit show showed free movement in all its glory.Your mantra seems to be that if a poor person causes any form of criticism of the eu or eu policy then the poor person can go whistle.

5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

That's an interesting article.  (Fuck all to do with what you're going on about, like.) 

It sort of suggests that if we'd had proper travel restrictions, testing at airports, track & trace systems, etc. a lot of lives could have been saved.

But we didnt did we, as we didnt with holiday makers. Remember the scenes of people having a proxy thermometer pressed to their head then bundled on planes bound for Britain? It was all over the news.

12 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Oh and if I remember rightly your empathy for the least well off didnt extend to those packed onto charter planes to fly into covid ravaged Britain for the purpose of knocking a quid of a punnet of Strawberries. That shit show showed free movement in all its glory.Your mantra seems to be that if a poor person causes any form of criticism of the eu or eu policy then the poor person can go whistle.

You don't remember rightly. 

That's not my mantra. My mantra is:-

"Working people deserve more rights

Everywhere they want to roam

But don't ask Gnash about migrant rights

He wants them all to stay at home"

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You don't remember rightly. 

That's not my mantra. My mantra is:-

"Working people deserve more rights

Everywhere they want to roam

But don't ask Gnash about migrant rights

He wants them all to stay at home"

I dont want "them to stay at home" I dont agree with a system that's proving to resemble the fucking wild west. EU free movement has resulted in the poorest becoming little more than commodities for wealthy European employers to milk.

51 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

And how does eu capitalism smell in your world? 

The idea if 28 nations agreeing minimum standards for employers of migrant workers to adhere to is an excellent start at taming the "wild west". The standards should be higher (eg minimum wage, parity with local workforce, etc) but it's a damn sight more humane than the approach to migrant workers that applies elsewhere in the world  (or, as you have demonstrated, that applies in the EU to migrants from non-EU countries).

55 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The idea if 28 nations agreeing minimum standards for employers of migrant workers to adhere to is an excellent start at taming the "wild west". The standards should be higher (eg minimum wage, parity with local workforce, etc) but it's a damn sight more humane than the approach to migrant workers that applies elsewhere in the world  (or, as you have demonstrated, that applies in the EU to migrants from non-EU countries).

As I thought. Rose's in the eu la la land

You're are trying to tame a problem made by your own creation. I've gave links to the dramatic increase in forced labour, prostitution, slaves in agriculture etc. Not that I need to provide links it's fairly obvious. You ignore it because the eu is your everything, your knight in shining armour, the saviour. Capitalism is Capitalism, the eu mantra of soft capitalism will imo solve nothing. Is it better than our government? Too darn right it is. Is that enough to endorse it? No. The eu or our own government couldn't really give a fuck about poor people, the transportation of people during a pandemic tells it's own story, and for what? 

The free movement of peoples has been a pimps Christmas and I've never known a pimp to take heed of rules and regulations, I'd even take a guess that the dealers in peoples know and use the rules to greater affect than those who are in need of them. The rhetoric of lazy Brits this summer could well change to lazy immigrants next summer, Its the game that's played, I remember the British jobs first for British workers nonsense from a few years back, i prefer to take a more consistent and hopefully wider view.

Anyway I'm under no illusions that Brexit wont be a disaster with this government but sadly I believe if labour would have won the last election Corbyn and Starmer could have got a nice deal and kept good relations with Europe that most at home and abroad could live with but alas it wasnt to be, anyway I'm off to blast out some Vera Lynn records.

I reckon the withdrawal negotiations are not to dissimilar to this thread.

UK "we want to retain free trade but close our boarders to all EU citizens"

EU "not happening"

UK "there you go again not answering the question "

EU "we did answer, we said no "

UK " you never answer the question, thats why we're leaving"

EU "fuck off"

UK " now you're being childish, just answer the question "

EU "We did yesterday, the day before and the day before that"

UK produces a link to article from 2009 about youth employment. 

EU goes home.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm not sure if Jeremy Corbyn ever worked for the daily mail. 

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/07/jeremy-corbyn-wholesale-eu-immigration-has-destroyed-conditions-british

Anyway the main point is that the transportation of workers in chartered planes from one country to another in a pandemic was fueled by the greed of the employer and was dangerous to the workers and the general public.

'll leave it there now angry, ive bored the tits off everyone by banging this drum since summer.

52 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I'm not sure if Jeremy Corbyn ever worked for the daily mail. 

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/07/jeremy-corbyn-wholesale-eu-immigration-has-destroyed-conditions-british

Anyway the main point is that the transportation of workers in chartered planes from one country to another in a pandemic was fueled by the greed of the employer and was dangerous to the workers and the general public.

'll leave it there now angry, ive bored the tits off everyone by banging this drum since summer.

No it was well before that, don’t underestimate yourself. 

Just now, skend04 said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-japan-trade-deal-liz-truss-exports-b1619263.html

Well, it looks like the Japan trade deal isn't all it's cracked up to be. Even though it wasn't much of a win in the first place either.

Yeah, it requires a trade deal with the EU.

Truss forgot to tweet that part.

47 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Two-faced cunt being two-faced. Shocked, I tell thee...

The arse has dropped out of the ERG and him after Biden's win. They'll drop all the shitty bits of the Internal Market Bill too according to rumours after they get struck out by the Lords tomorrow.