You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you be alive...

Section_31

...if you'd been born 100 years ago? And if so, what state would you be in?

I had cellulitis last year, a skin infection which is reasonably easy to treat with anti biotics, but before that was pretty much nailed on to be fatal, so I would have been dead at 34. Had I not, I'd have been in a pretty painful state anyway, as I had an impacted wisdom tooth which was basically upside down under my gum and getting constantly infected. I doubt very much they'd have been able to get it out back then, so at the very least I wouldn't have  been much fun at parties (not that I am any way). 

My mum would have been dead at 28 as she had gall stones. My Mrs's dad would have been dead in his early 50s from a heart attack, one of my best mates dead from appendicitis at 26. 

Makes you think doesn't it? How lucky we are at times. 

• Upvote 1

Forget 100 years, I'd be odds on to have had my 3 strikes during infancy a little over 50 ago; I've got Cystic Fibrosis.  We've seen significant medical advancement in the meanwhile which has helped the average life expectancy rise steadily, but even when I was born (37 now) it was a relatively little known, mostly childhood-only disease compared to now, and around 10 years of life was what my folks were told to expect from the seething little cunt they were presented with. 

Unlucky, world.  On reflection, I do appear to be unkillable, so I may well have had The Reaper off back then as well.

image001.jpg

Forget 100 years, I'd be odds on to have had my 3 strikes during infancy a little over 50 ago; I've got Cystic Fibrosis.  We've seen significant medical advancement in the meanwhile which has helped the average life expectancy rise steadily, but even when I was born (37 now) it was a relatively little known, mostly childhood-only disease compared to now, and around 10 years of life was what my folks were told to expect from the seething little cunt they were presented with. 

Unlucky, world.  On reflection, I do appear to be unkillable, so I may well have had The Reaper off back then as well.

image001.jpg

I went to school with a lad with CF, he's dead now. Hope this helps.

• Upvote 2

Born premature in 1971. So much so I was given the last rites by the priest. It was a caesarean, which would have taken my mum out as well.   

Beat that, 100 years ago I would have been dead five weeks before I born.

Fuck, just about old enough to get into Goodison  Park for a quid. 

I had double pneumonia 20 years ago when I was 13. We were talking about if just yesterday as it was due to that illness that I missed a no doubt concert and we couldn't believe that first no doubt album was 20 years ago.

I nearly died as it was, so I'd definitely have copped it back then

Agreed, he should have got a hot water bottle and sweated it out. 

Best pisstake pound-for-pound I've probably ever heard was on my first day at school, some lad turned to hear me wheezing and struggling for breath and just said "Alright, Darth Vader."  4 years old; what a fucking star. 

• Upvote 4