You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Books, films, songs etc that made you cry like a baby. *Amnesty*

Carvalho Diablo

The bit in The Invention of Lying where Ricky Gervais grandma is dying and he lies that he knows for a fact she's going somewhere better after she dies.

"When you die you’re going to go to your favorite place in the whole world. And you’re going to be with all of the people you’ve ever loved and who have ever loved you. And you’re going to be young again, and you’ll be able to run through the fields and dance and jump, and there will be no sadness, no pain, just love and laughing and happiness. There will be ponies made of gold, and everyone will live in giant mansions, and everything will smell like cookies. And it will last for an eternity, Grandma. An eternity."

Yep.

The Extras Special was a little bit in the same style too.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Gervais has got it in him. I don't like him very much, nor much of his work, but Extras was very good and that particularly was very good. I wish he'd do more stuff like that.

I picked up the boy in the striped pyjamas thinking it'd be an easy read as it was something my daughter had brought up. I blubbed for about 3 days as i got to the end of the book, every time i picked it up I had to put it back down again. 

Time travelers wife 

My sisters keeper

Lovely bones 

The kite runner. 

Unchained melody

As the Deer. 

Somewhere over the rainbow. 

I had to wipe a sly tear or three at interstellar the other night. 

The notebook.

Beaches 

My girl. I've not watched it since it was on in the cinema 24 years ago. 

There are loads of films, books and songs i cry at. I'm a proper wuss. 

Saving Private Ryan - smoke clears, medic is down and screaming, realises he is not going to live much longer and says he could use some morphine, dies sobbing for his mum.

Leaves me with great wracking sobs every time, the whole scene is so beautifully acted.

Kate Bush - running up that hill

Hemingway - for whom the bell tolls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The bit in The Invention of Lying where Ricky Gervais grandma is dying and he lies that he knows for a fact she's going somewhere better after she dies.

"When you die you’re going to go to your favorite place in the whole world. And you’re going to be with all of the people you’ve ever loved and who have ever loved you. And you’re going to be young again, and you’ll be able to run through the fields and dance and jump, and there will be no sadness, no pain, just love and laughing and happiness. There will be ponies made of gold, and everyone will live in giant mansions, and everything will smell like cookies. And it will last for an eternity, Grandma. An eternity."

Yeah that's a great shout.   I think his tears in that scene were genuine as well.   

• Upvote 1

The bit in The Invention of Lying where Ricky Gervais grandma is dying and he lies that he knows for a fact she's going somewhere better after she dies.

Reminds me of the episode in the Sopranos where Tony is greeted outside the house by Steve Buscemi.

Hes on the verge of passing away but hears his daughters voice which sounds like she is about 8 years old and it drags him back.

I shed a tear or two as a father over that sequence.

That just reaks of typical Gervais cynicism... but this ain't the thread for that conversation.

• Upvote 1

Cripes, how edgy and cool are you?

Gervais isn't the issue, it's about the chords it struck with others.

Exactly, the scene was beautifully acted.  Certainly struck a chord with me, as I have cared for an elderly relative who was very dear to me in their final days a few years ago.  

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

John Candy was brilliant in that film.

A bravura performance.

Daft bugger. Youve git that mixed up. That's not Silent Running.

It's Uncle Buck.