You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Books, films, songs etc that made you cry like a baby. *Amnesty*

Carvalho Diablo

I rarely actually get my face wet, but I do often get choked up.

Spielberg is a twat, because you can almost see him pushing emotional buttons, but he's so good at it that you can't resist it.

I'm a bad sucker for moments of vindication (if that's the right word) especially in stuff that was meant to be for kids.  

Chicken Run spoiler

There's a bit in Chicken Run where Ginger gets Fowler to fly the plane, by telling him "You're always going on about "back in your day"; well, today is your day"

(I can't do NSFW tags, so I've put it in white text.)

Doctor Who routinely has moments of tragedy or vindication that get to me.

Also, the intro to this - even before she starts singing, the guitar just gets me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MSwBM_CbyY

• Upvote 1

When the Wind Blows. Just the old couples naivete about whats happening to them. Heartbreaking. And Watership Down.

Musicwise, Pink Floyd The Wall has a couple of moments that nail me. Comfortably Numb gets me every time. And the bit in Mother where he says "you'll always be baby to me".

And Time to Say Goodbye by Andrea Bocelli because we played it at my mums funeral.

• Upvote 1

Odd thing tonight.  We were watching Singin' In The Rain (I know; we watched 10 Rillington Place last night, so we needed a palate-cleanser.) and I got a wee bit choked when they started singing Good Morning.  No idea why.  I suppose somewhere there might be something in my head linking it to my mum or dad or my sister, but i can't pin it down.  It's the cheeriest song ever, it's not supposed to affect people like that!

Don't think I've cried over a film. Lion King was quite sad though.

Hollywood can do sad, there's no doubt.  "Feed the Birds" sequence of Mary Poppins, ET, Ghost, Toy Story, Dumbo...

But if you want real tragedy, you have to look to Europe.  Nobody does tragedy like the Poles, but these two are more accessible European films.  Watch these and I guarantee you'll be heartbroken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16RZHqCIy9M

In books I would add One Day.  I was devastated.

In songs, You'll Never Walk Alone can get me at certain times.

• Upvote 1

The first time I ever watched Field Of Dream, must confess, I sobbed my heart out like a total spazz and I still have no idea why.

After a certain sorting event in 2005 I was an absolute wreck, can barely remember us lifting the trophy ! On the flight back  was awaked by the elbow of the gadge sitting next to me because I was sobbing like a baby in my sleep. I remember my dream, my nan was saying to me "It's time to wake up son, it's time to wake up..."

That victory must've jolted the very primal cortex of my brain.

• Upvote 1

"One" by U2.

The royle family- the queen of sheba

The haircut scene.

End of Blackadder Goes Forth.

Jesus of Nazereth.

Plague Dogs.

The end of Shane.

I am a tart of epic proportions.

The older I get, the more susceptible to "something in my eye" moments I become. It first started after having children and has become progressively more pronounced ever since. 

I often get watery eyes watching all sorts of shite and also get it quite a lot when watching the news these days. However, proper blubbing is exceptionally rare. The only one I can think of - possibly in the whole of my adult life (if there was another occasion, I can't remember it) - was watching the ESPN documentary on Hillsborough on YouTube before it was taken down. That was proper boohooing throughout: a combination of sadness/grief, anger, shock and frustration.

• Upvote 2

Films - Up and green mile are good shouts. American history x at the end seeing ed nortons face and weirdly rocky 6 when rocky and Paulie visit the site if the ice rink and Paulie can't do it anymore "you were good to her!"

In terms of music clint mansell's 'together we will live forever' always brings a lump in my throat.

Since the genius that was Rik Mayall left us this year, the end of Drop Dead Fred is even more poignant and that used to leave a lump in my throat beforehand so I can only imagine it'll floor me now.

Others on the list are:

Over The Top in Blackadder 4 and the poppies at the very end.

Snowman and the Snowdog.

The Justice Collective - "He Ain't Heavy".

• Upvote 1