You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If the unthinkable happened and Rodgers was sacked.....

Bjornebye

Moof, I understand the principle of what you're saying.  I am not jumping on the "hate Rodgers" bandwagon, which at the moment is flying downhill with a tailwind.

I desperately want this man to stabilise the situation and buy himself some space to make a push for fourth.

I am looking for a reason as to why things have come undone so widely, so quickly.

And if you think that a man's personal life, especially the personal life of such a visible leader of a vast organisation, has got nothing to do with his work life then you either have don't understand basic human psychology or else you obstinately won't look beyond the idea, "We shouldn't be looking at his private life."

You probably work for an organisation in which you don't have to listen to motivational speeches and relentless advice about how to do your job and HOW TO LIVE YOUR LIFE every single day from your inspirational and very visible leader.

The fact is Liverpool FC players have to listen to Brendan Rodgers every day.  Last year they loved listening to him, this year it looks like they really don't.  Yes, that's "conjecture", of course it is, but that's the nature of being a supporter rather than a member of the first team of Liverpool FC.  Having an opinion based on the prima facie information rather than first-hand evidence.  It's what we all do.  Like, obviously.

Most of the players are in stable relationships / marriages, most of them with families.  It may be that watching their inspirational leader who continually espoused the values of "family" and "loyalty to the group" relentlessly (again, based on interviews, and snippets from Being Liverpool etc) then go and leave his wife and family after having his physical appearance altered drew a collective "wayhay, brilliant - we love you even more!" from the players.

I doubt it.

It may be that his wife was cheating left, right and centre on him, and he was reluctantly forced to leave and finally found true love in this young woman - it is conjecture to say that this is unlikely, and that it was more likely the physically-altered, now-famous, widely recognised, incredibly rich and in-demand across the globe man.  Just conjecture.

So in isolation, a man's marriage falling apart is a tragedy and may have no bearing on his work.

But looking at this particular situation, I think it is not beyond reason to see that in this particular case, when you have an incredibly influential man who is consistently giving advice to his young followers suddenly appear a little bit vain, a little bit hypocritical, a little bit flawed, then you may be able to connect the fact that the relationship between the manager and the players (not to mention wider LFC "family") appears strained.

I'm not suggesting it's all gone a bit Maharishi Yogi and is irretrievable, but also sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "We shouldn't be looking at his private life!" is a daft stance to take.

Simply marvellous.

I think he's probably got till the end of the season, unless there is a dramatic dropoff in results. Failure to get a champions league place will get him the sack.

I would be very surprised if there isnt people actively sounding out managers from here on in.

Ive personally had enough of him, I can't take his bullshit interviews, I fail to see any sort of direction with this squad. Last night looked more than ever 11 players shoved on a pitch and told to do their best. Couldnt see any gameplan at all.

I enjoyed watching Basle and how coherent their side looked and im ashamed to say i actually hoped we wouldnt get a second goal at the end, because we didnt deserve it and it would have been a travesty.

This squad is one of the best we have had in the prem era,

I disagree.

Rafa built a team that with Torres, Alonso, Mascherano and Gerrard boasted four word class players. We were a genuine Euro force

Last year that was down to one, Suarez. We were title contenders

Now we are only left with glimpses of what Gerrard once was, and memories of what went before.

• Upvote 4

I'd have been happy with Vorm over Mignolet certainly.

Williams would have been another Lovren. Sakho is a good defender but every defender is made to look shit in this team. Williams is fairly average as it is so would be really poor anyway in this Liverpool side. 

The general point is, if it was up to Rodgers he'd have signed more or less his entire Swansea team. The committee as a whole have an awful lot to answer for and they should all be accountable.

He would not have signed more or less the entire Swansea team.

I disagree.Rafa built a team that with Torres, Alonso, Mascherano and Gerrard boasted four word class players. We were a genuine Euro forceLast year that was down to one, Suarez. We were title contendersNow we are only left with glimpses of what Gerrard once was, and memories of what went before.

I did say one of the best squads.

Rafa signed all the big names apart from Alonso when we were already an established European force and had been to two champions league finals.

We have three potentially world class players in sturridge,coutinho, sterling and maybe one or two of the other signings of the summer who have not had long enough to be judged and have years in front of them to improve.

I can't stomach these shite performances. In Brendan's first season we lost a few times but played well in those defeats and the potential was clear to see. Now we are losing whilst playing shite. We win some playing shite too - apparently that's a good sign. Bullshit. Our performances have been diabolical and that's completely down to the manager.

Brendan took all the plaudits last season and now he has to take the flak too. He has not been good enough and needs to sort this mess out, otherwise make way for someone who can turn us around.

We have three potentially world class players in sturridge,coutinho, sterling and maybe one or two of the other signings of the summer who have not had long enough to be judged and have years in front of them to improve.

Much hinges on the definition of world class.

Sturridge has not made an impact at international level and has been discarded by Chelsea and Man City, maybe he can make that elite grade? But he has to do it for more than one season alongside a genuine world class player. Whatever, we miss him.

Coutinho has failed to make an impact in an abject CL campaign or at international level- hardly auspicious for a 22 year old.

Sterling may make it, his tweet that he was learning Spanish suggested that if he does, we may not see it.

In the absence of great players, maybe we can create a great team? Whether Brendan can manage that alchemy is doubtful.

Quite a number of papers saying Sterling has either rejected or is stalling on a contract offer of £70,000 a week.

Wants champions league football/ Madrid waiting to pounce

Probably paper talk as per normal but no way he'll hang around if we go through another 3 year mid table slump. Will be too many suitors

The Mail story contains this line which hardly suggests he's  looking for an exit.

Liverpool and Sterling, who is currently on £25,000 per week, remain optimistic that a deal can be reached as talks continue.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2869219/Raheem-Sterling-weighing-future-Liverpool-sign-new-contract-Real-Madrid-England-star.html#ixzz3LXcXubaW 

This squad is one of the best we have had in the prem era, if we had sturridge fully fit and origi in it is more then capable of top four.

We have had big squads before but this time we have two quality players in most positions with a lot of players very young with a lot of time to improve. The only areas clearly lacking in the first team are dm and Gk while striker is a problem because of injuries.

Once again I remain in awe of your blind optimism.

Sterling isn't ready for Madrid yet. Just pay him what he wants.

He's a million bloody miles away from it. He has pace and dribbling skills, and not much beyond that. His shooting is poor, final ball very inconsistent, and the number of times he does that hip waggle and gets dispossessed in promising situations is far too high.

Are people really suggesting that part of the blame for our awful season is down to players not feeling quite the same about the manager because his domestic situation changed?

Bizarre, though it's quaint that anybody outside the PFA is crediting professional footballers with being overly moralistic, sensitive and emotionally intelligent.

It's almost like the loss of Suarez, some utterly abysmal summer business and an ongoing inability to coach a team how to defend properly - and, more recently, how to attack properly - never happened.

Nah it's not ALL that. It's Rodgers bizarre about turn on everything he built last season. Which could be put down to him being 'cunt struck'. When that happens to a man, his brains leave his head and migrate down into his ball sack. Not the first time Ive seen it.
  • Upvote 1

He's a million bloody miles away from it. He has pace and dribbling skills, and not much beyond that. His shooting is poor, final ball very inconsistent, and the number of times he does that hip waggle and gets dispossessed in promising situations is far too high.

The sight of him getting himself in to promising positions with good pace and movement then stopping dead and being dispossessed by some shit defender is as depressing as anything our own shit defenders are doing.

I don't really care who he's shagging.  No idea of the players do or not.  What I do know is that this 'committee' is beginning to resemble one of these in some people's eyes.

bcd6ThT.jpg

I can't believe people are focused on whether they feel the manager had a say in some of the signings when we're putting out sides that are almost comically irrelevant to the game we are playing, from the pool of players that we do have.

Even if you  told me that the first time he found out who had been bought for him this season was the day before the first game, it wouldn't explain a repeated failure to select the best options from the ones he had.  We had another manager a few years back who got the titty lip on him when he couldn't sign who he wanted, that didn't end so well.  Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.

Looking up and seeing Benzema, Ronaldo, and Bale making various different runs versus looking up at seeing Lambert 50 yards away, or Balotelli setting fire to the corner flag.

The reason Sterling and Coutinho get caught in possession is because they try and take players on, look up, realise no-one has bothered making a run, try and take another player on, rinse and repeat. 

Our strikers bar Sturridge are all fucking shit, and our central midfielders bar Gerrard score a handful of goals between them over the course of an entire season. Too many midfielders that aren't exceptional at even one aspect of the game, and too many strikers that aren't even quite good at one aspect of the game.

Half a dozen number 10s, with no-one to set up chances for.

• Upvote 12

I don't really care who he's shagging.  No idea of the players do or not.  What I do know is that this 'committee' is beginning to resemble one of these in some people's eyes.

bcd6ThT.jpg

I can't believe people are focused on whether they feel the manager had a say in some of the signings when we're putting out sides that are almost comically irrelevant to the game we are playing, from the pool of players that we do have.

Even if you  told me that the first time he found out who had been bought for him this season was the day before the first game, it wouldn't explain a repeated failure to select the best options from the ones he had.  We had another manager a few years back who got the titty lip on him when he couldn't sign who he wanted, that didn't end so well.  Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.

Even if the committee get out of jail card free is played, it doesn't explain why the vast majority of these new players are playing worse for us than their previous clubs. That's not down to the committee. We could sign messi and we'd play him @ DM and complain about shit transfers.

• Upvote 1

Watch that all change playing with better players . In the current team all you need to do is crowd him out as there is no one else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk