You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Victor Valdes

WhiskeyJar

They asked him to Melwood for 4 days to prove his fitness. I agree with the club.

He's not played for ages due to a bad knee injury so there is no way I'd be paying his inevitable big wages unless we know he's 100% recovered.

You make it seem like it's been a few years since he played. The injury happened half a year ago. And if he hasn't recovered fully yet it is standard for that kind of knee injury which can take up to nine months or even a year in a worst case scenario.

You make it seem like it's been a few years since he played. The injury happened half a year ago. And if he hasn't recovered fully yet it is standard for that kind of knee injury which can take up to nine months or even a year in a worst case scenario.

That's ages in my book. Usually a player is with his club and the risk is on them. If you want to sign him, you can gauge his fitness by if he's playing and I'm guessing you can get hold of training reports.

We have nothing to go on and it's a big risk. Asking someone to come over for 4 days to test their fitness is a reasonable request and not a big deal if you believe you've recovered fully.

I'm guessing he'll be on over 100k a week and if it went south and he was not fit, the club would look like dickheads.

That's ages in my book. Usually a player is with his club and the risk is on them. If you want to sign him, you can gauge his fitness by if he's playing and I'm guessing you can get hold of training reports.

We have nothing to go on and it's a big risk. Asking someone to come over for 4 days to test their fitness is a reasonable request and not a big deal if you believe you've recovered fully.

I'm guessing he'll be on over 100k a week and if it went south and he was not fit, the club would look like dickheads.

I completely agree. It isn't like we've asked him to do anything really unreasonable or unfair.

Is it fuck a big risk if he proves his fitness. This type of injury isnt a career ending one like it was 10 - 15 years ago.

The club isnt exactly clueless nowadays so they arent going to sign him on a massive wage without there being some conditions in it. I'd suspect the club would weight the deal on appearances and his fitness such that if he's injured and cannot play due to his knee, the club could terminate the contract.

So we sign him on a multi-whatever milions contract for a year, stick some and then we find out that his knee is shattered and he can't even jump. Then what? He's not going to sign a contract with some poxy pay as you play clause in it. He's Victor Valdes, he don't need no stinking trial!

Bobbins. I'd rather stick with Mignolet (for now). At least I know he's got two working knees.

• Upvote 1

Contract to the end of the season would be more appropriate than a trial for a world class goalkeeper.

I see the issue with his recent injury, but it's not like it's Chris Kirkland we're trying to sign. He has been out for about six months now, but other than that he's played between about 45 to 50 games per season since 03-04 until last season in which he played 34 despite being out for the last couple of months, It's a player that has 535 games for Barcelona. Not exactly a huge risk.

• Upvote 1

First Remy , now this. Add it too Sakho walking out the ground. and Agger calling out Rodgers for not being straight with him after making him vice captain. Just getting a wierd feeling about all of it.

Well, let's be fair, asking a player that is out of contract, who has just recovered from a long term injury, to have a 'trial' before signing a deal reported to be in the region of £100k per week is completely different from the other situations you mentioned.

If this is true, the club has done the right thing.

Well, let's be fair, asking a player that is out of contract, who has just recovered from a long term injury, to have a 'trial' before signing a deal reported to be in the region of £100k per week is completely different from the other situations you mentioned.

If this is true, the club has done the right thing.

I could sort of understand it if it was an outfield player, but this is a 32 year old goalkeeper who has played at the pinnacle of the game most of his career. Surely a stringent medical clears up everything you need to know.

And as far as im aware he is only out of contract because he decided he needed a new challenge in his career, otherwise he would probably be back playing for Barca when fit

He decided to chase the cash, not sign a new deal with Barca and agree to join Monaco, he then got injured and subsequently failed a medical, in the meantime Barca moved on.

When you're going to pay a free agent £100k per week, I think you're entitled to ask said player, especially one who has been injured, to turn up at the club and take part in training and perhaps a practice match.

It isn't like he's under contract anywhere else. The club has been reasonable in my opinion.

Pretty sure if I'm Valdes a triple European cup winner, with six titles and get asked to a trial to be assesed, i tell whoever to fuck off. They have medicals for a reason, give him a proper medical if we are proper interested.

Would not be suprised when we found out Valdes wanted bigger wages than Reina and a big signing on fee, we had this nice excuse lined up. Saying that, Valdes can't have that many options, how many clubs need a keeper?.