You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burning Question: Rickie Lambert - Are you on board with it?

tlw content

Anyone who's not chuffed for him is a bad egg.

Not really as you could say the same about any player moving to a big club good or bad, people were chuffed for Hodgson getting the job as he had been through bad times in the years before, it didn't change the fact it was a bad appointment.

Anyway welcome back to loaf head (his nickname when at lfc before), we now are in a better position to compete for the league cup.

• Downvote 5

Not really as you could say the same about any player moving to a big club good or bad, people were chuffed for Hodgson getting the job as he had been through bad times in the years before, it didn't change the fact it was a bad appointment.

Anyway welcome back to loaf head (his nickname when at lfc before), we now are in a better position to compete for the league cup.

You are mental.

Do you get off on being wrong about everything?

• Upvote 1

Do you get off on being wrong about everything?

What have I said that's wrong? I can understand why people are happy for him but my main thoughts on the deal are we have signed an average old player.

If things go well for us next season we wont see much of him and his main chances will be in the league or fa cup.

• Downvote 1

Pretty much the same as Hodgson coming here, I reckon.

Fucking hell. Surely you're doing this on purpose?

Obviously I am not saying it is like getting Hodgson or will turn out the same, I was using an example of how people can be happy for someone to achieve something but my concern is what they bring to us in terms of improving.

• Downvote 1

He's not as good as Borini, Lambert might be slightly better now, but ones 23 years old the other is 32 years old. Unless he has a Gary Mac style fairytale end to his career the decision to get rid of Borini for Lambert will be seen as a mistake in the future. 

He's not as good as Borini, Lambert might be slightly better now, but ones 23 years old the other is 32 years old. Unless he has a Gary Mac style fairytale end to his career the decision to get rid of Borini for Lambert will be seen as a mistake in the future. 

I do not think it is him we are replacing, surely its Aspas.

I hope Borini comes good too fella but I think most would take a stake in Fabio never having two seasons in a row in this league where he plays 38 and 37 games and bags 28 goals and 20 assists in 24 months.

I think Borini will stay, he can replace anyone of 5 players, unless we're truly fucked Lambert will only ever be replacing Sturridge or Suarez. If Borini is sold then he needs replacing.

If it's to improve on Aspas then it's a good piece of business. Lambert is decent in the air, on the ground, clever player, good dead ball taker, links up play, shields the ball - he does a lot of decent things and is well worth the money we've spent. He will not let us down. Never in the class of our best two strikers, but that's not what he's here for. He's here to give us a bit more depth and add another option as we fight on more fronts this coming season. 

If we are selling Borini we still need another striker in addition to Lambert. 

If it's to improve on Aspas then it's a good piece of business. Lambert is decent in the air, on the ground, clever player, good dead ball taker, links up play, shields the ball - he does a lot of decent things and is well worth the money we've spent. He will not let us down. Never in the class of our best two strikers, but that's not what he's here for. He's here to give us a bit more depth and add another option as we fight on more fronts this coming season. 

If we are selling Borini we still need another striker in addition to Lambert. 

And moving Aspas on, hopefully

I hope Borini comes good too fella but I think most would take a stake in Fabio never having two seasons in a row in this league where he plays 38 and 37 games and bags 28 goals and 20 assists in 24 months.

I genuinely wouldn't put money on that. He could score a lot of goals somewhere but it'd probably have to be starting regularly and I don't think he'll do that here. 

I hope he's staying though. I think Suarez, Sturridge, Borini and Lambert is a good mix.

It's not really a knock on him, just pointing out that Lambert has some solid numbers, Unless Borini improves dramatically the only place he will get a chance to play every single game is a lower half of the table club. He does not look to me the kind of striker that normally features upfront in this league for those clubs week in week out tbh. I think he could be very useful to us mind - just as a utility player able to slot in at a couple positions in certain situations.

It's not really a knock on him, just pointing out that Lambert has some solid numbers, Unless Borini improves dramatically the only place he will get a chance to play every single game is a lower half of the table club. He does not look to me the kind of striker that normally features upfront in this league for those clubs week in week out tbh. I think he could be very useful to us mind - just as a utility player able to slot in at a couple positions in certain situations.

You could of said the same thing about Ba and Sturridge's situation last January, Sturridge didn't have great numbers because Boas played him out wide. Borini's played out wide all season for Sunderland and been their best player by a mile. Also although Lambert has solid numbers he's on the downturn of his career and those numbers will lessen year on year. Borini's numbers will grow and he'll be a double figures striker next season if he's given the chance up front for Sunderland.

Sell Borini for 10 million, buy Lambert for 4 million add on's take it up to 9 million, bad business. Remove the nostalgia and Lambert being a scouser and it's bad business plain and simple. Letting Paul Pogba go to bring back Scholes, i mean how many times does releasing talented young prospects for old veterans work in your favour?

You could of said the same thing about Ba and Sturridge's situation last January, Sturridge didn't have great numbers because Boas played him out wide. Borini's played out wide all season for Sunderland and been their best player by a mile. Also although Lambert has solid numbers he's on the downturn of his career and those numbers will lessen year on year. Borini's numbers will grow and he'll be a double figures striker next season if he's given the chance up front for Sunderland.

Sell Borini for 10 million, buy Lambert for 4 million add on's take it up to 9 million, bad business. Remove the nostalgia and Lambert being a scouser and it's bad business plain and simple. Letting Paul Pogba go to bring back Scholes, i mean how many times does releasing talented young prospects for old veterans work in your favour?

Sorry mate, you seem to be talking about a different player. Lambert is 32 and last season turned in double digits in goals and assists. That's very, very decent for someone willing to come and not start every week for very little wages. It's a no-brainer.

And once again, where's this £9m coming from?

I agree I'd keep Borini and I think the club will. 

Sorry mate, you seem to be talking about a different player. Lambert is 32 and last season turned in double digits in goals and assists. That's very, very decent for someone willing to come and not start every week for very little wages. It's a no-brainer.

And once again, where's this £9m coming from?

I agree I'd keep Borini and I think the club will. 

It's a 4 million deal but i've read that theres appearance based adds on's that can push the fee up further, Southampton seem to think it totals up to 9 million. If Borini's not being sold why are we trying to flog him to Sunderland?

It's a 4 million deal but i've read that theres appearance based adds on's that can push the fee up further, Southampton seem to think it totals up to 9 million. If Borini's not being sold why are we trying to flog him to Sunderland?

Where do Southampton seem to think that?